Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshnakboozy
Stranger
 User Gallery

file associations
    #3774664 - 02/13/05 05:28 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

a complete numpty IT illiterate foaf (no really! not me but afoaf!!) has buggered up their file associations. such that most file extensions (incl .exe and .lnk and many many others!!) have become associated with windows media player. click on such a file and the PC tries to open it with media player. they are running windows XP.

this means sytem restore cannot be run (coz it is a .lnk file when accessed from the start menu). is there any other way of resetting the file associations easily?

ta muchly mes amigos. hope i have explained the problem sufficiently and that this is an appropriate forum for such a question.

cheers.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSlite
Lost in Life
 User Gallery
Loc: UK
Re: file associations [Re: shnakboozy]
    #3774702 - 02/13/05 05:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If you remove the ".ink" from the system restore file name you should be able to double click it get the option to open it in your program of choice.. you will probably have to browse to find system restore and I've no idea where it is but in theory it should work.

--------------------
"You can either believe you can do something, or believe you can't.... either way your right"

Offlineshnakboozy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: file associations [Re: Slite]
    #3774732 - 02/13/05 05:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

tnx Slite. understood in theory. but what programme do i tell XP to use to open the .lnk file?!!

this is what prompted me to try to run system restore initially, i was trying to open a .exe file for my friend (which had also got associated with media player) so i right clicked it and chose "open with" to change the association but then realised that there was no other appliccation to choose from the list that would just run a .exe file without trying to open it with some specific programme! it was when i tried to run system restore that i discovered that .lnk files had also become associated with mediaplayer. as have tonnes of other file extensions. incl one (.reg i think? not sure) that was used in a little prog i downloaded off the web to restore .exe file associations!!! it all rapidly became a circular problem.

cheers.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #3776953 - 02/14/05 02:26 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

start
run c:\
tools
folder options
file types
click the file type you want
change
pick the media player of your choice
voila!

Offlineshnakboozy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: file associations [Re: daussaulit]
    #3777846 - 02/14/05 11:07 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

understood (i think), daussaulit (though i wouldd access tools>folder options>file types from windows explorer) but what prog do i choose to open .lnk files and .exe files? i dont want them to be opened by a programme like mediaplayer as they currently are! i know how to change a file association by these two methods but dont know what to change the association to! oh well, looks like my foaf will have to wipe the hard drive at current rate of progress!

Offlineshnakboozy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3777861 - 02/14/05 11:13 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

on my pc, which has a correct set of file associations, .exe and .lnk files are not listed in the list of file associations accessed via tools>folderoptions>filetypes. i dont have my foaf PC in front of me now, so not sure if .lnk and .exe are listed in their list, i'll have a look next time i can and maybe just delete them from the list of registered file associations?!?? worth a try.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
    #3778491 - 02/14/05 01:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Try deleting the registry entries for the file associations if they are. (I believe it is in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, but I've not supported windows for some time)

--------------------
delta9

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology