Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFlashdevil
Peter Piper

Loc: Texas
Identification Needed
    #3774013 - 02/13/05 01:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Everytime I go to the fields I always run into this type of mushroom (see picture) and I have really no clue what it could be. I've seen them growing stand-alone in cow dung and with cubensis many times, the picture shows a patch that I found of them growing stand-alone. Any help identifying them would be great :smile:

Edit: I found these mushrooms in South East Texas growing on some cow dung. I sometimes find them growing either by themselves, with cubensis, or with other mushrooms. I've only seen this mushroom as being a dark brown to almost black color. The mushroom is gilled but I don't believe the gills are attatched (not sure about that, my memory is a little unclear on that). The largest cap I've found so far measures about an 1.2 inches in diameter, normally they're about 3/4 of an inch to an inch in diameter. They're pretty tall ranging from a few inches all the way to about 7 or so inches tall. They have a very thin light brown/dark brown stalk. the caps also have some ridges in them, nothing very big, but upon close inspection one would be able to see ridges. I don't know what else to add really other than whenever they grow there is almost always more than one at a particular location, normally there are about 5-10 growing in any spot.

Edited by Flashdevil (02/13/05 02:46 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Identification Needed [Re: Flashdevil]
    #3774102 - 02/13/05 02:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Your going to need to refer to the forums rules and guidelines and post proper identification information before any following information can even be considered safe.

On site it looks like some sort of panaeolus species, im sure mj could tell you with further information.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Identification Needed [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3774127 - 02/13/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I too have these all over my pan subb patch.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Identification Needed [Re: Flashdevil]
    #3774198 - 02/13/05 03:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Your find belongs tot he panaeolus sphinctrinus var. campanulatus complex and they are not psychoactive. They can be identified byut the geared teeth at the bottom edges of the cap form where the veil breaks apart whent he cap opens to sporulate.

mj

Not active

InvisiblePeterthinks
(Caulking) gun for hire

Re: Identification Needed [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3774247 - 02/13/05 03:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'd guess Panaelus Foeniecii but as far as I know hay caps don't grow on dung.Since it doesn't have a little nipple on top like Panaelus Sphinctrinus(Petticoat Fungus) I'm leaning in that direction.
It has qualities of both....confusing...are the gills asending(as on the Hay cap) or adnate(like on the Petticoat)?
but it could also be the Egg Shell Toadstool(Panaelus Semiovatus)Which also grows on dung(and has ascending gills)if there is a ring on the stem but it is a very large mushroom ...larger than you described.
Good luck...check out how those gills hang to narrow it down.
My books say they may cause halucinations(hay and petticoat)and that the eggshell is unsuitable for eating due to where it grows(dung)
I'd stick to what I know and avoid eating them personally.
:jester:

--------------------
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
NEWB NEWBIE NEWCOMER IGNORANT? QUESTIONS?
Click HERE HERE HERE HERE For detailed instructions with pictures on how to grow mushrooms. There is a lot of info on the Shroomery and this is what you need to know.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Identification Needed [Re: Peterthinks]
    #3774477 - 02/13/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

MJ has this one, Panaeolus campanulatus. The dead giveaway is the sawtooth pattern of veil fragments on the edge of the cap. As MJ noted this mushroom is not active. Panaeolina foenisecii is a lawn mushroom which does not grow on dung; it is also not active. There have been some field guides which list both of these species as active but they are in fact not.

Offlinedigitalcube
would u likesome dolphinsafe tuna
 User Gallery

Loc: la
Re: Identification Needed [Re: shroomydan]
    #3774826 - 02/13/05 06:18 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i see alot of inactive pans similar to that in my field ...lol i use to eat them thinkin they were copes when i was younger and they taste so crappy and since i would eat them with cubes i didnt know any better ..lol

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification