Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
BAGS, BOXES & PATIENCE:
    #3772968 - 02/13/05 02:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

A lot of people buy spore syringes & pre/sealed - ready to go pre/sterilized filter/patch bags of grains. Both arrive in the mail. They then knock the bags up & in one way or another - incubate then. About day 4, they post:

"nothing happening - why? It looks good, there is a little condensation in the bag, I felt it, it feels fine."

Right then, you know the person is not experienced. Because it can take a week (or more) for spores to even geminate & a bit longer before you see actual mycelia growth.

In actuality, in those first 4 days, they have probably inspected, handled, or fondled the bag - repeatedly.

That is not a GOOD THING to do.

Individual spores are microscopic in size. They have to germinate, then grow exponentially in size by multiples of 100, before they are even visible to the naked eye. That means they are fairy fragile in that environment. Disturbing that growth in any way, will cause delays.

Once you do see some mycelium, it is STILL ?? VERY FRAGILE.

Mycelia filaments are so fine - you can fit a mile of it in the space a drop of water takes up. Any damage to those filaments causes them to BREAK. Once broken, they have to REPAIR THEMSELVES, then continue to grow - again. That takes TIME.

The only time "SHAKING" is advisable, is when a bag or jar is at the 10% to 20% colonization stage. Shaking it then, BREAKS those filaments apart & spreads them ALL OVER THE CONTAINER.

The now smaller divided pieces repair themselves & continue to grow from an exponentially larger area, as they are now spread out all over the container. Thus, increasing colonization speed. No more shaking is necessary & doing so will only SLOW THE COLONIZATION PRCOESS.

The best thing you can do for a "bag" is to place it in a sturdy container (such as a clean cardboard box taped shut - with a few needle size holes poked through the box top), so that the content is PROTECTED from light & physical disturbance.

Place the container in a secure warm (78 / 84F range) dry place & LEAVE IT ALONE. Don?t even open the box for a week or 10 days, to peek. Once you do peek. If you see mycelium, leave it alone.

Wait a few more days (or longer) & peek again. When finally it appears that 10%, or MORE of the grain is colonized. Remove the bag from the box, knead & shake it only to the degree that you have evenly dispersed colonized grains throughout the bag.

Then, put the bag BACK IN THE BOX, back in the incubator & LEAVE IT ALONE. Don?t touch it.

NOW WAIT?..NO?..WAIT LONGER????.KEEP WAITING???OKAY??.?TAKE A PEEK.

If the surface area of the bag appears 100% colonized, WAIT AT LEAST A FEW MORE DAYS.

Then, open the box & GENTLY lift the bag up to see if it the CONTENT is COMPLETELY COLONIZED.

If so, lower bag back into the box & give it a FEW MORE DAYS. This INSURES the INTERIOR of the bags content is 100% colonized.

You can tell when 100% colonization occurs, because the mycelia will have knitted the bags grain content into a SOLID MASS.

Okay?.. you are now ready to expose the bag to LIGHT & allow it to fruit.

Primordia (pins) are also very FRAGILE. Don?t handle the bag after exposure to light & pinning begins, otherwise you DAMAGE the pins as they begin to form, causing aborts.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BAGS, BOXES & PATIENCE: [Re: agar]
    #3773280 - 02/13/05 05:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

heh nice info for all the newbs out there, but being serious,
thinking about my first grow ever i peeked about 5 gazilion times
a day on the jars and stuff - just b/c u think you practically GOT to fuck up :wink:

anyway, as always, patience is key - but patience only comes with experience :wink:
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineLethalX5
Male

Re: BAGS, BOXES & PATIENCE: [Re: ohmatic]
    #3773422 - 02/13/05 06:33 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ya i am doing my first grow right now and i am always peeking at my jars. i was also shacking them everyday.... this must be why its taking forever. i will know leave all my jars alone for at least 5 days after reading this post. Ty agar!! your the bomb diggity!

--------------------
"To get what you've never had, You must do what you've never done."

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BAGS, BOXES & PATIENCE: [Re: LethalX5]
    #3773446 - 02/13/05 06:50 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

LethalX5 said:
i was also shacking them everyday.... this must be why its taking forever. 

there is no guide anywhere telling you to shake them everyday.
by doint this you would only cause more harm than good,
possibly ending up with contammed jars without any good myc.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #3773450 - 02/13/05 06:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Mycelia filaments are so fine - you can fit a mile of it in the space a drop of water takes up.

my favorite part

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Edited by lemon_lw (02/13/05 07:01 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3773455 - 02/13/05 07:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Then, put the bag BACK IN THE BOX, back in the incubator & LEAVE IT ALONE. Don?t touch it.

NOW WAIT?..NO?..WAIT LONGER????.KEEP WAITING???OKAY??.?TAKE A PEEK.

Oh god no!!! it'll kill me not to molest my mycelium

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures