Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
The Amazing Race.... Industry Vs. Spirituality....
    #3771520 - 02/12/05 06:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know if any of you watch "The Amazing Race", but I noticed something when the racers go to a thrid world country....  They may be skinny, and they don't have much, but they *seem* very much to be very very spitual peoples (I am generalizing based off of what I have seen)....  So they have little in the way of possesions, and some suffer from malnutrition....  BUT, they are the first ones to come running to a stranger to be friendly to them - even offering HELP to the strangers for no other purpose than to help.... 

Now contrast this "compassion/spirituality" to the streets and communities of the people in America....  You see a person on the side of the road having car trouble, most are likely to just keep going thinking "sorry about your luck...."  (Again, this is generalizing for the point of the topic...)  Has having worldy possesions and living with the "fundemental drive" to become "the best" and successful (as we are taught from an early age) clouded our fundemental spirituality....?

If this being so, does it take suffering and the lack of having "stuff" to easier understand and have spirituallity....?  Is it "the simple" life that lends itself to man becoming more "spiritual"....  Does this example somewhat proove/show/serve that point....?  Look at how happy they seem as a people, and how giving or compassionate  they are when they have almost nothing (as far physical stuff)....  They seem to live without the pre-taught drive that all of the industrialized countries have....    So, is industry the "cause" for the lack of "spiritualness" in people...?  (Again, on a general scale....)

Kinda~ puts the saying "Whoever dies with the most toys wins" to be a very non-spiritual saying indeed....  Eeeeehhh....?

:sun:

:ninja:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCaptainJailew
Apathetic and Idon't care

Loc: Central Texas
Re: The Amazing Race.... Industry Vs. Spirituality.... [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3771541 - 02/12/05 06:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Very true, although Protestants have always associated hard work with prosperity and spirituality and thus the greater wealth they accumalted the more they believed God favored them.

Although I think the excessive pressures in industrializes countries coming from Capitalism are primarily to blame as people focus more on their work and the need to get material objects. Additionally I think that the current alienation of people from spirituality has given wave to a common fear-of-death, which is at its root the drive for consumption. Our fear of death drives us to live the best life possible and fill our meaningless (so we think) lives with frenetic action and consumption. I am pretty stoned right now so this may be fuzzy, but I will be returning shortly more clear headed to expand. Or something, I am not sure about that.

Later

--------------------
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: The Amazing Race.... Industry Vs. Spirituality.... [Re: CaptainJailew]
    #3771565 - 02/12/05 06:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It makes sense, and goes along with my line of thought....  And even in America, there are peoples that live without the "industrialized" possesions, like the Amish people that truly (for the most part) live off the land and have very simple ways of life....  I don't know much about the Amish, nor their spirituality, but they are a hard working people as i know - using the knowledge of farming the land and hard work to live.... 

:ninja:
>^;;^<
:sun:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinemar1juana
Stranger
    #3771593 - 02/12/05 06:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

be too nice and people will take you for a dumbie

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: The Amazing Race.... Industry Vs. Spirituality.... [Re: mar1juana]
    #3771598 - 02/12/05 06:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mar1juana said:
be too nice and people will take you for a dumbie

Only the people that have negative intents would judge you as a "dumbie" for being nice.... "Judge" being the key word....

>^;;^<

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #3771606 - 02/12/05 06:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Attachement begins in ones own mind, but in a worldy sense, we are socially conditioned in our society of supermarkets and T.V advertisments to want vastly more than what we require to survive.

But also consider that the hunger of a starving etheopian for food, could be the same as the hunger of a heavily obese person living in the modern world. Also consider that at a time when someone is in need, both individuals would most liklely be too caught up in want and hunger to have the capacity to help them. Only a mind that is somewhat free of attachment can be of any benefit to someone else in a real way.

Im sure its the same with spiritual hunger. Attachment is the same wherever we look in the world, we are just fortunate enough to have possiblities that people in third world countries dont have, like access to food, water, education, spiritual institutions and general freedoms. Yet we still suffer out of ignorance just like the rest.

But at the time of death, maybe a person with no possesions or family and friends would be better off, as we all are born with nothing, and leave this world with nothing. The less attachment the better. Our whole lives we should try to train in non-attachement, as this is the only thing of any benefit at the time of death, which i might add could be at any moment.

--------------------

Offlinemar1juana
Stranger
    #3771607 - 02/12/05 06:58 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

stop watching tv

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
Re: The Amazing Race.... Industry Vs. Spirituality.... [Re: mar1juana]
    #3771658 - 02/12/05 07:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Then those people will have a dumbie around them instad of a good friend. You chose what you see and how you call it, and your reward is your own perception of the world

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology