Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
My 100010101110st Post! :)
    #3770922 - 02/12/05 02:58 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Howdy :smile:. Been awhile since I posted something and I figured what better time than to mark the crazy coincidence embodied in my post count.

2222  :shocked:

Can you believe it??! It's all the same digit!!1 These kinds of miracles must mark some sort of awesome totally crazy thing. I mean, the odds of this is like 1 in 2222 :shocked: CRAZY!!!

And yet, that number that looks so pretty is really just a symbol for an unconceivable value, something that try as you might, you will never understand fully.

I mean, the symbol system we use for numbers and values is pretty neat. We have ten fingers, so logically, we use a base ten system. After all, we all know fingers were meant to be counted.

But wait a second. This means that the symbol system we have all been conditioned into conforming our thought processes to is not what it seems at first. (People into math will probably be like, well duuuuh, but hear me out :cool:)

So, we could have easily chosen a different number system and our concepts of math and values would have turned out drastically different. Why not 12, or 9, or 6, or 5?

(editor's note- to clarify, a base system is just how many values are accumulated in one 'place holder' before the next one gains a value. our system is base ten, as there are ten values per place holder)

Like, in base six, this would be my 14142nd post.

In base five, it's my 32342nd.

In base twelve, it's the 1352nd (luckily I didn't need to invent symbols for '10' and '11' for this value)

In binary (base two) it's my 100010101110st post, ect... ect..

So suddenly this seemingly objective coincidence of the values lining up appears as no more than a coincidence within our perceptual number system. The value itself (unknowable) holds no repeating symbols or anything. The value itself is only an abstracted concept of isolating and classifying our observations (duality).

Now what was the point of this? I dunno really. I guess I just wanted to say that it's very easy to get caught up in thinking within abstract models of thought and losing sight of conscious reality. When we see '17', we subconsciously link it to a mental concept, and yet the value itself is never perceived. We do not 'know' how much of something there is by numbers, we only know how to perceptually classify it.

Furthermore, what is the value itself. Objectively (assuming there is an objective :wink:...), values appear to be non-existant. It is only the human percpetion that breaks objects away from the 'non-objects' and percieves it to be a separate 'thing'. When our perception creates many of these distinctions, and perceivese them to be of equal 'thingness' (four oranges, two apples), we apply our counting system.

But it's all subconscious. It gives us the impression we have knowledge of values that really we just subconsciously compare to other recognized symbols of values.

Now I realize fully that math serves a 'purpose' in a sense, and it is a useful tool for evolving within our current paradigm of logic (duality, individuality, cause/effect, ect). However, when we internalize this system, we decieve ourselves. I think it's fine to use, even to structure thoughts around, so long that there is the awareness that this is all an abstraction and itself is not 'real'. Now nothing is 'real' per se, but these abstractions pull further away from the asymptote of 'real' than our base senses and experience.

Oh yeah, forgot to add - our logic as humans is binary, despite our use of base ten math. You can say it isn't always, but then that creates the dual distinction between always being binary, and not always being binary, itself binary logic. (Yes/no, is/isn't, on/off, cause/effect, true/false, up/down...)

:cool: ya, stuff!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: My 100010101110st Post! :) [Re: deff]
    #3770972 - 02/12/05 03:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

OK give it up in Hex then...and quick....but you probably got a hex/bin calculator.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #3771016 - 02/12/05 03:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

have you ever used a slide rule?
omg its a fuckin coincidence machine!
:wink:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: My 100010101110st Post! :) [Re: infidelGOD]
    #3771056 - 02/12/05 03:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Slide rule????? That is stone age...

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: My 100010101110st Post! :) [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3771063 - 02/12/05 03:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

never used one, but they seem like a blinged-out abacus :smile:

from just reading about them now, they sound pretty nifty :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3771087 - 02/12/05 03:57 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

8AE

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: My 100010101110st Post! :) [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3771177 - 02/12/05 04:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I just noticed you and def registed 6 weeks a part and have a 14 post spread. Not that that means a damn thing.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology