Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Hygrometer, Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Easy and cheap Fridge Incubator TEK
    #3766045 - 02/11/05 11:54 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

This is for you all thinking about getting a nice fridge incubator but don't know what to do.

This is my first TEK writing, so bear with me :tongue:
To be updated tonight, I'm in a hurry right now:

<---Fridge's TEK----->

So let's get at it:

THIS is my fridge. It's an usual fridge, nothing especial about it, it's just old, and the temperatures here are so low that if I want something cold I just put it in the window for 20 minutes and voila! Cold beer.  So, let's unplug it and make a cool-ass incubator out of it!!!

So I just emptied of food, and took anything inside it out:

Now, you might be thinking it's not that big. It's not. BUT take into account we're putting here 500cc jars! There is place for a LOT of jar s there. As you can see, it's dirty as hell, and we have some moldy friends here:

As you know, we can't let this little fellows come near our soon to be little mushrooms, so I cleaned it all with some water. We want to be really clean right?

Now you can see it clean, without molds of any kind right?

WRONG. There are lots of molds in every corner of it, so we want to clean it all another time, this time with this:

So why the bleach now you may ask? As you may know, molds reproduce by spores, some microscopic kind of seeds. We don't want this spores to come near our mushroom's food, so we may as  well kill 'em. Bleach will accomplish this. So what next? THIS:

Clean every little space with a water and bleach mix, clean it  all, don't be afraid of being too clean :grin:

Now it's all disinfected we want to put something inside it to heat it. In my personal experience humid heat is better so I just put the containers we left out before inside the fridge again (Of course all of them cleaned with water+bleach!!) and fill the lower one with water:

Notice how clean everything is.

Now, this water's porpoise is to be heated by this:

In this case, a 25w aquarium heater, available at any pet store for less than 20?.

So you might ask, why put it at the bottom of the fridge? Well, because when water gets hot it evaporates and goes UP. And we want our jars to be warm, up in the fridge.

So we put the heater inside the water, following the instructions:

ALL of it must be submerged!!! If not it might just explode or burn.
I put a tiny digital thermometer inside the water to make sure the heater is working right. (You'll have to experiment with the volume of water, wattage of your heater and other conditions to archive the proper temperature inside the incubator; In my case when the water gets to 34c? the incubator's inside is at 27c?, just perfect.)

Now, we want to have another thermometer inside the incubator so as we know what temperature is inside there. I bought an hygrometer and put the "outside" thermometer inside such as this:

Put it the place were you plan to put your jars.

Now we need to take those cords outside the fridge/incubator, so sadly, our until now completely isolation will be not so good.

Now, remember high school? When water gets hot it warms the air surrounding it, which goes UP. This is the air which will warm our jars.
So, if warm air goes UP, and we don't want to loose this air, we must put the cords in such a way the go outside the fridge from it's bottom. Such as this:

The cords will go underneath the isolation plastic in the fridge's door.

But before we close the fridge let's put a little bleach in the water, so it doesn't grow any kind of malevolent mold or bacteria.

Ok, we're almost done. Just close the fridge's door, holding the cords in one hand so they don't move (You may put some kind of tape there also).

So now it's closed. Just plug the heater, turn on the hygrometer and voila!!! Your own incubator!! All in all, it costed me less than 30?, and it can hold up to 40 jars if managed properly. You just need to find a fridge, or use your own if you can.
The heater will maintain temperature constant:

(The temperature inside the incubator is the one at the top of the hygrometer)

And the water will keep humidity levels right.

It was easy, wasn't it? Now, put your jars inside it and let 'em grow!! Every time you open the incubator you lose the warm air, so it could take up to an hour to heat everything up again, but don't worry, it won't hurt your fungi friends too much. Just don't open it every 5 minutes, k?

Be safe, have fun!

<-----Fridge's TEK--->

That's it for now, enjoy it :laugh:

:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

Edited by Deepman (02/11/05 05:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy and cheap Fridge Incubator TEK [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #3766231 - 02/11/05 12:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Problem I see: the open water tub. I would use a heating blanket if I were you. Look for Agars posts on altering a fridge. You can rip open the blanket and there are many wires in it that you can run up the sides of the fridge or whereever you want. You could also put the heater in a sealed jar full of water. That would also stop you from needing to refil the tub.

Oh the problems with the open water tub...2...open for contams (tub in tub water usually gets nasty as all hell quick, its just not IN with the jars)...and also it will create humidity..that could cause the tyvek to get moldy on top of jars too...

All in all, not bad, just something to think about.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
Re: Easy and cheap Fridge Incubator TEK [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3766285 - 02/11/05 01:06 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

The hygrometer your using, how does it read the humidity levels inside the incubator from outside. i had a similar one with a sensor that only read outdoor temp. does yours read outdoor temp and humidity?

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #3766956 - 02/11/05 04:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Problem I see: the open water tub. I would use a heating blanket if I were you. Look for Agars posts on altering a fridge. You can rip open the blanket and there are many wires in it that you can run up the sides of the fridge or whereever you want. You could also put the heater in a sealed jar full of water. That would also stop you from needing to refil the tub.

I don't think that's a problem per se. I just had that heater and thought it would be a neat use of it. Also, look closely at the pics and you'll see there's a lot of water there, and since it is isolated... where could the water possibly go? I only see the need for it maybe  once a month, but I'd say not even that much.

Quote:

Oh the problems with the open water tub...2...open for contams (tub in tub water usually gets nasty as all hell quick, its just not IN with the jars)...and also it will create humidity..that could cause the tyvek to get moldy on top of jars too...

All in all, not bad, just something to think about.

That's why I put bleach on the water. About the humidity thing and tyvek getting moldy... I don't really think that could happen that easily, but I use microboxes and I'm a begginer, so I could be wrong.

jc_illenium : Since it is isolated and full of water the humidity would reach surely 90% at least. Also as this is an incubator I don't feel humidity is so important as, for example, a growing chamber with cakes in it. So I just use the outside thermometer, my hygro is just like yours.

Again, this is a cheap and easy fridge tek, so don't blame me too hard :grin: It's just my first try  :crazy2:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3766977 - 02/11/05 04:24 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

>Where could the water go?

If the fridge is 90% humidity as you think it will be...where do you think that moisture came from? Then you open the door, the moisture leaves. Granted it wont disapate much but I'm just saying, a sealed jar would stop it totally and would keep out contams in the water. They'll still grow in there, bleach or not. Feel it after a while, you'll feel the slime if you dont believe me. And that 90% humidity..if it causes condensation can cause contams to grow on the tyvek, especially if they get grain juices on them from making and shaking them..I've had green growing on tyvek on top of jars that stayed constantly wet, so I say this from experience.

By all means, try it out if you are confident with your method...just keep an eye open for problems like I mentioned...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinejonas

#3767021 - 02/11/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I agree with scat. When I made my first incubator I was cheap and decided to do a TiT with just one tub. How you ask? I just put the jars in a tub and put water in the tub and threw a heater in there. Thought it'd work fine but I got so much condensation it was rediculous. Didn't think it'd be a problem but I had all sorts of growth on the tyvek after a while and slime in the water, despite the use of bleach.

Your idea however is very good, I like it. I would just rework the open tub of water. Just put a cover on that tub of water and you should be fine. The heat will still be given off, but you might have to turn your heater up just a little bit, I'm not sure. But yeah, cover that thing up and you'll be good.

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3767052 - 02/11/05 04:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Nice effort dude!
Ofcourse water is contam risk, but hey my TIT, I never cleaned that water, 3 months ago I filled it and added soem H2O2. Since then only adding water which had evaporated.

If there are gonna come contams in the water, they are already present there. Contams are everywhere. But a heatpad or electric blanket is also a great option. If yo uwant it humid just put a plastic bukcet with water on teh bottom. It will evaporate a bit at 27 to keep it a little moist.

We dont want to dry teh jars out... Must say I havent had too much problems with dry incubator though.

I must say a nice setup for a bigger then normal incubator. And like every tek, people can modify it to their personal wishes.

MF

--------------------

What What?
Male User Gallery
Re: Easy and cheap Fridge Incubator TEK [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3767162 - 02/11/05 05:02 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Umm... Maybe I'll update it with a little foil sealing the water part. Let me experiment with it tonight and I'll report back!! This is no way complete yet :smile:

Always looking to learn something :smile:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3767175 - 02/11/05 05:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That could work very well. As long as the water cant evaporate from the tub I say its good to go for now.. of course..things like this are alive and ever changing, but thats the fun of it...

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3767234 - 02/11/05 05:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Can you do me a favor... (Where you come from all heaters may be fully submergable, but in the US, I have not found one that can be fully submerged. The ones here are open-ended, and MUST hang on the back of the fish tank, so that the water doesn't get inside the circuits.) If we were to fully submerge our heaters, we would possibly get killed or start a fire. The 120v wires and temprature controls are not water-proof, they are only water resistant.

NOTE: I also have an issue with the water in the bottom.

:smile:

Nice job though!

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

InvisibleYarry
Old Timer
 User Gallery

Re: Easy and cheap Fridge Incubator TEK [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3767243 - 02/11/05 05:20 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LaughingJim said:
Can you do me a favor... (Where you come from all heaters may be fully submergable, but in the US, I have not found one that can be fully submerged. The ones here are open-ended, and MUST hang on the back of the fish tank, so that the water doesn't get inside the circuits.) If we were to fully submerge our heaters, we would possibly get killed or start a fire. The 120v wires and temprature controls are not water-proof, they are only water resistant.

Nice job though!

whats the favor? lol

--------------------
Grumpy Old Man.

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #3767310 - 02/11/05 05:36 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, here's the experiment:

I now put two tinfoil's tighly closed around the water tank, so there's almost no scape (maybe a few drops a week in humidity).

But since now the fridge gets more isolated from the heat source I push the heater 2c? more. Let's see how this works, if tomorrow the temperature is right (27-28c?) I'll do a check on humidity.

Hope to see some killer results tomorrow pals!!  :strokebeard:

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easy and cheap Fridge Incubator TEK [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3767379 - 02/11/05 05:55 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LaughingJim said:

Nice job though!

You really havnt? Wow. I havnt found one yet that didnt HAVE to be fully submerged in the US :smile: I didnt look to hard, I'll give it that, but I found fully submergable heaters at petco and pet smart.

--------------------

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
    #3767430 - 02/11/05 06:03 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

do you plan on using the fridge tek..as a fruiting chamber also?

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

What What?
Male User Gallery
Re: Easy and cheap Fridge Incubator TEK [Re: jc_illenium]
    #3767474 - 02/11/05 06:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No, I just want it as an incubator as of yet.

But if you wanted to get a growing chamber out of it it wouldn't be too difficult to do, just turn on the light somehow and create an air flow while keeping temperatures and humidity constant. It's been done before.

However, I personally don't like the Idea too much with this kind of fridge. Too many corners to clean, I'd personally go with a pmp.

Think of this as the poorman's fridge-incubator :smile:

--------------------

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
    #3767543 - 02/11/05 06:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I like your water heater idea, looks like it will work. It might be better if it created less humidity..im not positive on that though.

Lately for an incubator, ive been using a large rubbermaid, wrapped in a heat blanket. It works pretty well so far, because the dial goes from 1-9 and hi. i keep it at about 7 for an 84.

but man, what about your food? You keep that outside too?

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #3767751 - 02/11/05 07:46 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Lol, I was waiting for that question actually. It was the first thing my g/f asked me :tongue:

I'm keeping my food out, I don't eat things wich need the fridge on a daily basis, and usually as I open something it gets eaten. Also, food doesn't rot until the 3rd day :smirk:

Onto the experiment:
It seems that the tinfoil has a negative impact in the speed of heatening. It's getting warm a lot slower, let's see if it reaches the appropiate temperatures. Then I'll measure the RH.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3767848 - 02/11/05 08:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

A refeg is great :thumbup:

Have a water bed heater with a tub of water on it. As soon as I can find some slate will replace water.Don't want the humidity in it.

GL
:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
    #3767850 - 02/11/05 08:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

your pic looks like the jaws of an anaconda or python. Just like anaconda search for the blood orchid, feel like im about to get swallowed. That movie would definately trip a person out. Fuckin snakes grabbin people by the head and shit.....bad ass movie.

i dont think this is the place to talk about snakes eatin people though. :rockon:

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

What What?
Male User Gallery
    #3768556 - 02/11/05 10:15 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Hygrometer, Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation