Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
marrying for greencard
    #3765633 - 02/11/05 08:30 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I have this friend from Venezuela that's in the states studying and plans to live here permentaly. she needs to be legal because having to pay out of state tution (around $500/credit hr compared to $98 credit hr) is really killing her and she can't get a job off campus because she dosn't have papers (on-campus jobs are limited to 20hrs a week @ $5.15/hr). So anyway we were discussing getting married so she can gain citizenship. in my state it's 2 years after you get married before you get your papers. i know they will probably check up on us and interview us a few times throughout all this and that's not a major concern as long as it's not horribly intrusive which i've heard it is not. she has like 5 friends that have done the samething so she assures me she knows everything they look for (photos, knowing each other real well ect.) one thing is the living situation though, i currently live with 3 roommates which happen to be latin chicks too which i think helps kinda, like i just have a thing for latinos or something. so it makes it more genuine imo. but thing is she (potential 'wife') can't really live with me as i have a small ass room and the other rooms are taken and no one is going anywhere. having pictures up should be enough i suspose and just hope they can't tell the diffrence between all the girls. but i pretty much have this figured out but all my info comes from her (or her friends). she's a good friend and all but there's a lot for her to gain in this so i'd like to know why doing this is a bad idea. like what happens to me if they find out it was a scam (i've been told nothing will happen to the american) also, i'd like to know if there's any bad aspects of having been married then divorced later on in life. i'm young and don't have much life experience so i come here hoping someone might know something about this kinda stuff. even if it's just an opinion rather than fact i'd like to hear it (why you think what we're planning is wonderful/horrible whatever!) i wanna get a lot of views before i do something so drastic. Another thing is if i'm married it opens me up to way more grant/loan money and various other benefits that i could really use right now. thanks :stoned:

--------------------
There's a thin line between sanity and insanity... and I just snorted it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: marrying for greencard [Re: John]
    #3765645 - 02/11/05 08:36 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

man, that would kinda suck though if later you meet some really awesome girl and you cant be with her cause you are married

venezuelans are hot though

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: marrying for greencard [Re: Help on the Way]
    #3765649 - 02/11/05 08:38 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

well i can date any girl i want, we're not making a commitment like that. if you meant i wouldn't be able to marry the new girl that's a good thing because i'm only 19 and don't plan on getting married (for real :wink: ) until at least late 20's so it would stop me from doing something stupid so young.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3765708 - 02/11/05 09:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

well i can date any girl i want, we're not making a commitment like that. if you meant i wouldn't be able to marry the new girl that's a good thing because i'm only 19 and don't plan on getting married (for real ) until at least late 20's so it would stop me from doing something stupid so young.

smart man.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
    #3766224 - 02/11/05 12:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yea but i mean would a girl want to date you if you were married?

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3766305 - 02/11/05 01:10 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I almost did something like this in college. Based upon your living arangements, I wouldn't recommend it. If the two of you could live in a place alone, even if not sleeping in the same room, it would be better.

A few problems that I see:

1) roommates that catch on and let the cat out of the bag, even accidently
2) married with roommates generally isn't seen much
3) at your age, you will change your mind about things a lot (at least I did!)
4) you are drawing more attention to yourself
5) what happens to you if you get caught?
6) what happens to you if she gets caught?
7) what happens if 'they' talk with your family?
8) what happens when you get divorced... half go to her?

I'm not telling you what to do, or not to do... simply asking that you think through all the in's and out's before deciding. It is nice to help somebody out, but a multi-year obligation at your age can be difficult... at least it was for me when I was your age.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #3766466 - 02/11/05 02:02 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hypothetically speaking the following story may or may not be fictional (cough cough)

Back in the early 90's I was approached to marry a girl from Fiji, with the sole purpose of bringing her into the country...in exchange I would receive a month with all expenses paid in Fiji. Also I could bring anyone I wanted with me, as long as they married someone there as well. As it turned out, it wasn't that hard to find volunteers...We all went to Fiji..we all got married...and we all came back into the country (without the wives)...after a few months, we had to sign the papers to bring them to our country. I wold suggest that if you are going to do this, to have regular correspondence via letters...make a bunch of phony love letters etc...to show the authorities in case they ever do question your intentions.

Anyhoo...1 year later all of us filed for divorce for various reasons...Infidelity, Spousal Abuse...you name it.

The Fijians are here...and we all got a great trip to Fiji.

It's not something I would reccomend for everyone, because there is a good chance that you may have to face the immigration officials, and I can assure you that they don't fuck around. But if you do go through with it...just play it cool and cover your ass....hypothetically speaking of course.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: marrying for greencard [Re: Rono]
    #3766554 - 02/11/05 02:42 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Hypothetically speaking the following story may or may not be fictional (cough cough)

You hypothetical criminal!!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3766613 - 02/11/05 02:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but here in the US divorce makes baby Jesus cry.

And when baby Jesus cries the government gets mad.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: marrying for greencard [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3766639 - 02/11/05 03:03 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but here in the US divorce makes baby Jesus cry.

Since the divorce rate in the U.S. is like 50%, that certainly explains alot... :wink:

That is actually a huge difference between American and Canadian politics...In Canada, we tend to not mix church and state at all...in fact as a whole, Canadians are much less religious than our American counterparts.  I'll try to find the link, but I remember some survey being done by a news magazine (I believe it was McLeans)and the differences were quite startling...but made perfect sense in relation to each countries policies.

--------------------

Edited by Rono (02/11/05 03:06 PM)

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Re: marrying for greencard [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3766676 - 02/11/05 03:08 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

You hypothetical criminal!!

I'm a hypothetical bad ass...

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #3766889 - 02/11/05 03:55 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Rono said:
Quote:

Since the divorce rate in the U.S. is like 50%, that certainly explains alot... :wink:

That is actually a huge difference between American and Canadian politics...In Canada, we tend to not mix church and state at all...in fact as a whole, Canadians are much less religious than our American counterparts.  I'll try to find the link, but I remember some survey being done by a news magazine (I believe it was McLeans)and the differences were quite startling...but made perfect sense in relation to each countries policies.

I remember watching crossfire and they were talking about GWB..  One lady was from some place in Europe andit was like 15% of the population were religions as to 85% in the US..  She said that every time an American president says the word god or uses religion in a speach, it scares the shit out of them and they just dont understand why.  Thats why she said the public in Europe will never truely support of follow the American Doctrine..

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: marrying for greencard [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3766945 - 02/11/05 04:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GabbaDj said:
Quote:

Rono said:
Quote:

I remember watching crossfire and they were talking about GWB..  One lady was from some place in Europe andit was like 15% of the population were religions as to 85% in the US..  She said that every time an American president says the word god or uses religion in a speach, it scares the shit out of them and they just dont understand why.  Thats why she said the public in Europe will never truely support of follow the American Doctrine..

I actually did a project for my Sociology of Religion class where I tried to figure out why Europe has become so secularized while America has become so religious.  Among my more interesting findings was that there seems to be an inverse correlation between how religious a country is and how much of a welfare state they have.  This is further supported by the fact that Canada is somewhere between the U.S. and Europe in reliosity.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: marrying for greencard [Re: Silversoul]
    #3767059 - 02/11/05 04:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Is that why Communists are Athiests?

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3767070 - 02/11/05 04:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

But marriage is still a government regulated institution, right?

They control the definition of the word, and everyone has to have the blessing of the government to get married, just like in the US, right?

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3767071 - 02/11/05 04:49 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Probably. I mean, what kind of God would let Communism happen?

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: marrying for greencard [Re: Silversoul]
    #3767079 - 02/11/05 04:51 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

But Castro sez Jesus was a Communist.

Y'know, we're supposed to share stuff and stuff.

--------------------

InvisibleJohn
ssdp.org

Re: marrying for greencard [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3767122 - 02/11/05 04:56 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

yeah i should try to get a trip to Venezuela out of this too :smile:

nice post seuss and rono, it's what i need to make me see the whole picture. never thought about them talking to family. i don't really have family, just a dad and two half sisters but one of them has the biggest mouth ever! i don't really talk to her though, i think if i got married for real i wouldn't tell her. my dad is cool about talking to the police (ect.)

when we get divorced i'll gladly give her half... half my debt. that's all i really have going for me, i don't have any assets, just a car and she owns a car too so no point spliting that. she would never win in court anyway just think about it, and it's not like i will be supporting while we're 'together' so no spousal support or any of that crap.

about the married couple with roomies, yeah that is kinda odd. but we're poor college kids what can you say?

what happens if we get caught? i have no idea, i would probably break down crying and yelling at her "bitch i thought you loved me, how could you do this to me." that's what we agreed upon anyway. i mean i don't really think there's that much they could do to me, besides their main concern would be deporting her and forgeting about me during that process. she knows the risk.

the whole drawing attention to ones self kinda sucks too, i see what you mean. i've been pretty clean lately in all aspects but i'm sure if you dig deep enough you'll find some dirt.

rono, your hypothetical situation seems to me like it would have more risk than mine, but your in canada right? this girl is already here to stay she just can't work or anything until she either gets married, wins the greencard lotto, or a employer sponsors her (not likely). i would think there's a lot tougher rules to marry and bring someone in rather than marry someone already here, plus less suspicious. i.e. went to Fuji for a month and you and your friends all happen to find the women of your dreams there rather than me meeting this girl through school in my homeland. did you have to talk to any ins or anything like that?

slipknot, i don't think anyone would really know. i wouldn't wear a ring or anything like that except when i had to and probably wouldn't be smart to tell anyone anyway. i don't think there would be much diffrence to how it is now anyway even if she moved in. there already are chicka's here that cook, clean, and comfort :heart:

thanks for the replys so far, keep em coming :sun:

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#3767129 - 02/11/05 04:57 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Castro doesn't understand the difference between sharing and forced redistribution cuz he's a filthy Communist.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

#3767160 - 02/11/05 05:01 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
But marriage is still a government regulated institution, right?

They control the definition of the word, and everyone has to have the blessing of the government to get married, just like in the US, right?

It is the same...but marriage and religion don't necessarily have anything to do with eachother.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion