Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Contaminated Cake Question
    #3764926 - 02/11/05 12:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have a contaminated cake in the grow chamber. Since it was the only cake in the chamber, I never got around to throwing it out, and now it's started sprouting shrooms. Now, I'm not stupid enough to eat a cake from a contaminated cake, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to cut some mycelium from some of the stems to make inoculum without contaminating that. Any thoughts?

- Mages

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSamhainJ
I wanna rock out, in my dreams
Loc: USA
Re: Contaminated Cake Question [Re: Mages]
    #3764970 - 02/11/05 12:51 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

if the cake is contaminated chances are that the entire cake is covered in mold spores. just throw it iaway. better to lose one cake than all of them.

--------------------

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Re: Contaminated Cake Question [Re: SamhainJ]
    #3764988 - 02/11/05 12:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, but I figure spores are susceptible to peroxide, right? So I'm thinking if I soak in peroxide, then to be sure use a sterilized exacto knife to cut away the exterior of a stem (making sure the inside and cut-away outside don't touch) that I might be able to get uncontaminated mycelium.
It's just that I've only ever grown from spores, and I've heard good things about growing from pure strain, and here's a chance to try from some shrooms that aren't going to be eaten anyway.
- Mages

--------------------
- Mages

- C.J. Cherryh

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

#3765040 - 02/11/05 01:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Go ahead and do it man...the worse that can happen is it wont work...and the best that can happen is it will! its worth a shot if you have the time and sources

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineSamhainJ
    #3765043 - 02/11/05 01:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

peroxide is effective against cobweb mold, but soe other molds are not killed by it unless you use enought to kill the mycelium itself.

gl

--------------------

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: Contaminated Cake Question [Re: SamhainJ]
    #3765048 - 02/11/05 01:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

^^^^^^BS Dude^^^^^

go for it mages!!

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineSamhainJ
Re: Contaminated Cake Question [Re: Taskenti]
    #3765099 - 02/11/05 01:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i am not saying do not try it, but if contamed it ay all be contamed. i am always interested in seeing people try new shroom experiments so please try it it and if you get results please post pics for us to enjoy

--------------------

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Contaminated Cake Experiment Continues [Re: SamhainJ]
    #3846338 - 02/28/05 11:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Report: 2 weeks after inoculating cakes.

Well, I tried it. I removed some of the mushrooms to a glovebox and cut away some of the interior flesh to make inoculum. I tried the peroxide dip but that didn't work - the mushroom sucked up so much moisture when I dipped it that it became soggy, and even a brand new exacto blade wouldn't cut through that.

So, I proceeded without that step, and managed to cut out some of the flesh & get it into a jar, sanitized with water & a blender blade attachment for a lid. A few seconds of blending, and I inoculated the cakes.

I checked the cakes after 2 weeks, and the results are mixed. There does appear to be some contamination, but evidently not much, and not evenly distributed through the inoculum water, because although my contamination RATES are much higher, most of the cakes appear to be uncontaminated. 4 cakes were contaminated, 16 were not. I inoculated 12 jars with purchased spores at the same time, and none of those are contaminated.

So far, it appears that if you were to try this technique to salvage a strain you didn't want to lose, it would work - but be prepared for some lost jars.

I'll report more later.

- Mages

--------------------
- Mages

- C.J. Cherryh

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds