Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Rye water problem
    #3764199 - 02/10/05 09:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm having a helluva problem getting my water content right. It's really frustrating the hell outta me. I tried the Tek from Anno's page and it was a little to wet. I did Magash's tek and it is sitting in my incubator now but it is dry.

I have 2 questions
#1. what is the best way to add water to an incubating jar?
#2. does anyone have a picture or 4 on correct water content in a rye jar?

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Rye water problem [Re: Damn_Skippy]
    #3765054 - 02/11/05 01:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

>#2. does anyone have a picture or 4 on correct water content in a rye jar?

On the right:

Edited by Anno (02/11/05 01:12 AM)

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Rye water problem [Re: Anno]
    #3765620 - 02/11/05 06:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thanks Anno.

#1. what is the best way to add water to an incubating jar?

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #3765669 - 02/11/05 06:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

do you just add water to dry rye as you buy it or you keep rye in water 24 hours, then rinse water and add new water before pc? many soak for 24 hours because of the germination thing but you seem not to care about it, why?

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Rye water problem [Re: lepiota]
    #3765864 - 02/11/05 08:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

there are 2 different schools of thought when it comes to preparing rye.

#1. Anno and many others measure out the correct proportions of rye and water and PC then done.

#2. Magash wrote a tek on this. He soaks then simmers adds it to the jars. PC's it. done... more people follow this tek than the first one

I did it both ways. My first try was the former and it turned out a little wet, and my second try was the later and it turned out dry.

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

#3765907 - 02/11/05 08:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i tried magash tek, i soaked 24 hours, rinsed water, added new water, simmered for 1 hour, rinse again, put in jars and pc.
result: they increased their volume (even if they had already been cooked!) so they turned out tight in the jars and i couldn't shake them. one of the jar contamined with green mold, the other is colonizing very very slowly because:
1) i can't shake it
2) i have no heated incubator
3) lids have no air filter and there's no gas exchange.
next time i'll try anno's tek and get an incubator and filters, anno's tek looks much easier but i think you really have to be careful about the volume increase of rye while you pc it. how much unstirred rye in one jar then? 1/3 full or less?

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3765922 - 02/11/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

they have to be exact proportions... Anno's grain page is here

Pints
Rye = 100g or 125ml
Water = 110g or 110ml

Quarts
Rye = 200g or 250ml
water = 200g or 200ml

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

#3765938 - 02/11/05 09:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

right but... my jars are metric! :biggrin:
i will do the maths...
what about the gypsum thing? what's that for? PH correction maybe?

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3765946 - 02/11/05 09:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

straight from Anno's grain page
1/4 qt(quart) = ?pt(pint) = 1cp(cup) = 236ml(milliliter) = 236cc(cubic centimeter)

gypsum? got me on that one

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3766207 - 02/11/05 10:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

>and my second try was the later and it turned out dry.

Then you didnt simmer long enough. Kernals should burst a bit. If having trouble..mix in some verm.

Grain straining AND STEAMING. If you dont rinse it ever (I never do), the excess water will steam off from the top and drip off from the bottom..you just toss in this giant strainer:

Then add verm (and WBS) and mix it up and you get this:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Rye water problem [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3766215 - 02/11/05 10:48 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah exactly what I didn't do right. I didn't simmer long enough. I saw some of the grain open up, and I thought it was done.

preciate it

--------------------
~Skipp

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
    #3766247 - 02/11/05 10:57 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

scat, do you simmer your millet with your rye?

also, do you find that by not rinsing the rye you allow it to dry to the proper water content level?

I simmer my rye, then i rinse with water into the strainer. I'm having lots of problems with wet spot (mycobags) and I don't know what to do. I let the strainer sit for an hour and i still end up getting too many failed jars. I do work in front of a flowhood and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

--------------------

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
    #3766268 - 02/11/05 11:00 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

MYCO SUPPLY SELL RYE GRAINS AND THEY SAY
Rye - 200g (=7.0 oz = 250 ml = 1.0 cup)
Distilled Water - 220g (= 7.8 oz = 220 ml = 0.92 cup)

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #3766275 - 02/11/05 11:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gypsum? got me on that one

Its used to prevent clumping and sticking together of grains. Helps ya shake the grains

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (02/11/05 11:06 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye water problem [Re: Tweexican]
    #3766290 - 02/11/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

>scat, do you simmer your millet with your rye?
Yes, the WBS and rye are soaked and simmered in my PC pot (the bowl next to it is rye grass which I didnt simmer this time):

>also, do you find that by not rinsing the rye you allow it to dry to the proper water content level?
Yes, RogerRabbit (the coffee tek guy and the guy who fruiting mushrooms from a bible, money, a bra, a qp of white widdow ect) mentioned this is how he does it, never rinse..from the bag, to the pot, cover with water..simmer in the same water..strain and let it steam off. Then mixing in a bit of verm is the final touch for water content.

>I simmer my rye, then i rinse with water into the strainer. I'm having lots of problems with wet spot (mycobags) and I don't know what to do. I let the strainer sit for an hour and i still end up getting too many failed jars. I do work in front of a flowhood and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I do all my grain to grain transfers open air in my bathroom. Perhaps it could be from somewhere else..not flame sterilizing the needle or wiping it with alcohol or not wiping the jars with alcohol when you inject or not PCing enough, or soaking long enough..if its your water content though...try not rinsing it and toss the grain around in your strainer as it steams. When the top gets dried..toss it somemore to bring water to the top of the strainer. Or if you do rinse it, add some verm to it before loading it in jars. Dry verm, just enough untill the water content looks right.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Rye water problem [Re: Civ]
    #3766295 - 02/11/05 11:08 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well, my rye was from mycosupply, and I did 200/200 and it was pretty damn close but a little on the wet side. so, 200/220 is way to wet, but test a jar if you'd like. I'd like to see what you come up with

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3766334 - 02/11/05 11:20 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I found 200/200 was too dry when I did it.

It will always depend on the grain though..different source of even the same type of grain will have different water contents from the start (they arent completly dry, usually like 20% water, and different water holding abilities. Test jars need to be made to figure out the perfect water content. I believe Annos site mentioned that :smile:

--------------------

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
Re: Rye water problem [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3766483 - 02/11/05 12:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i have tried magash's soak, simmer, and pc rye technique five times, each meeting with decisive failure--the rye is always too dry. on my very first attempt i put together one jar via anno's method, and although it came out a wet clumpy mass, my subsequent failures using magash's tek have led me to return to the anno method. thus, i just prepared five quart jars of rye, each with 1 cup of rye. i measured out 150 ml for one jar, 175 ml for another, 200 ml for two jars, and 225 for another. i don't have a graduated cylinder, just a liquid measuring cup, so the measurements are less than precise (or is that accurate) but i am hoping at least one of my jars comes out looking like anno's. if this doesn't work i don't know what i'll do...if i can't get the moisture content correct in rye i see little reason to spend the money to try to get it right in wbs or popcorn, and i don't want to spend the money to buy pint jars and brf & vermiculite. so...wish me luck, cause i don't have the time for another failure! i'll let everyone know (like anyone cares) what the results are of my last experiment.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: Rye water problem [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3766491 - 02/11/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah I'd like to know. I'm moving to winter wheat berries just cus it is really easy for me to get. so I think the soak and simmer route is going to work until I figure out exact water content

--------------------
~Skipp

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rye water problem [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3766507 - 02/11/05 12:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thats WAY to much variation. For 1 cup of rye you'd want to keep it between 190 and 220ml of water. Your water content if close will only be only a few ml off. The 200 and 225 would the only close ones but thats such a huge difference in water. You need to do like 195ccs, 200ccs, 205cc,s 210ccs, 215ccs, and 220ccs.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains