Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Patient enough?
    #3763509 - 02/10/05 06:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

A friend of mine followed Doc's Wild Bird Seed Tek to the letter and nocd up 7 quart jars of Creepers on 1/24, 7 of B+ on 1/25, and 7 of Cambodians on 1/26. Extremely sterile procedures (if you have read the tek you know what i mean, he seems borderline OCD about it) were followed. The jars have been kept in a rubbermaid with a heat pad on the bottom, covered with towels, to keep the temp at 85 degrees (+ or - 5 degrees and ONCE up to 97) and needless to say, in complete darkness. As of today (2/10) he has:

No visible colonization on any of the Creepers
80% on ONE B+, 20-30 on 2 more of the remaining 6
Maybe 10% on one of the Cambodians

Is this normal? He was told to expect about 75-85% colonization within 10-14 days, and it has now been over 2 weeks. Is he being too impatient? I am concerned there may be contams but nothing is visible.  The rubbermaid stinks a bit when he opens it but he assumes this is normal for wbs. He thanks you in advance for any help :smile:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Patient enough? [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #3763531 - 02/10/05 06:25 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

A slight odor in the incubator is normal with with WBS, I've had that in the past too.

I think your problem comes from 1) moisture content or 2) temperature. Slow or stopped colonization could definitely be a lack of moisture. Now, I don't use heating pads for the very reason that they heat so unevenly. 97F spikes aren't helping you either. The top of your chamber could be reading 85 and the jar bottoms could be getting cooked in there, gotta watch it.

Look into building a TiT for better temperature control.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: Patient enough? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3763617 - 02/10/05 06:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

He has one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers w the probe on it, so he puts the probe at the bottom and it reads around 87/88 typically. He rests the unit itself on top of the jars, under a towel (for insulation) and it reads 75-80. If anything there is too much water in the jars, as i have thought about that as a possible cause, but its not like theres standing water in there or anything. Could varying temps (like 75 to 85 back to 77 up to 89) be the cause? Sometimes it will drop a little at night and up a little during the day.

--------------------

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3763834 - 02/10/05 07:09 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The temp drops ar going to be about as good as you can get. Well within the desired range. (Double-check to see if there are diferent temps for each strain. Eg, B+ can grow at almost any range, and with less than ideal conditions, while others may have more specific requirements.)

I would be willing it has to do with moisture also.

Are a lot of seeds split wide open? Is there any water held where the seeds touch the jar. Will the jars shake without clumping into a solid mass?

Rare, but you could have some real late bloomers.

Make a quick honey-water jar and PC it. (If you still have the old syringes that supplied these jars, sterilize the tips and draw the honey-water inside. Draw in an air bubble while flaming the tip also. Shake for a long, long time. You should get some spores in there that may have been left behind in the syringe. Re-inject that into the sterile honey-water and throw it in the incubation chamber.)

You should get some growth from those few spores, if you got any from that syringe. Use that developing mycelium for your next culture. If you don't get any growth in the honey-water at all, then you may have had a bad syringe.

You did soak with tap water that had aired out for 24 hours prior to soaking right. The chlorene and chloramine in normal tap water can soak into the seeds, and not come out in the PC. (That killed me the first time around!) I now filter and airate all my water prior to use. We have hard water, and they over-chlorinate it. (Tested at pet-co, free of charge. Low PH and high chlorene/chlorimine.)

I use powdered oyster shells in my mix along with filtered/airated water.

I don't like TEKs that say, "Just use tap water." Water quality changes from city to city and state to state. Ours is 70% well/aquafer and 30% treated/recycled water. However, at my parents house down the road, they have 25% well/aquafer, 50% treated/softened well/aquafer, 25% treated/recycled/UV sterilized recycled water.

Thier water is higher in chlorene/chloramine, but the PH is 6.8-7.1.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: Patient enough? [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3764198 - 02/10/05 09:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah hes doing a honey water jar right now actually. He DID use tap water however...shit, yeah the seeds are saturated with it, and no he didnt let it air out. Do you think brita-filtered water would do the job?

--------------------

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#3764207 - 02/10/05 09:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

BTW thanks for your advice, do you work with wbs a lot? I would rate you but i still need 10 more posts

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag