Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Any bipolar people here?
    #3762288 - 02/10/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

After a psychotic mania I was diagnosed as being bipolar. They adsvised me to take Lithium, but I don't want to do that just yet. I'm 19, my brain is probably still developing a little bit. I first want to try and deal with this on my own. A hypomanic episode is great. I feel good, I talk easily and have confidence.
But the depressions are a bitch. I get down, unmotivated, asocial, insecure and very sad. I have recently been using Salvia which gives some relief. I've also tried omege-3-fatty acids (fish oil), which didn't seem to do much. I haven't tried any anti-depressives yet, because my psychiatrist strongly advises to take a mood stabilizer (like lithium) before using anti-depressives.

Any other bipolar people here? How do you deal with it?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Re: Any bipolar people here? [Re: cybrbeast]
    #3762325 - 02/10/05 04:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Represent. Im bipolar here. I take medication which helps me significantly. With my medication i can actually have better sleep cycles. When before i couldnt sleep at all some nights.

I take Geodon and Doxepin (ssri) I take the doxepin at night to make me sleep and its alot better than Trazodone.

I will honestly tell you its not good to go without your medication cause you will have a breakdown. I have had many without medication.
Try to pick a medication that has low side effects and lithium is not one of them.

I would suggest staying away from Paxil,Risperdal,Depakote,Lithium.
Lithium is a dangerous chemical. From taking depakote so long i have scar tissue on my esophagus.Plus they have to blood test you every couple months to see if it reaches dangerous levels.

I would suggest picking something that fits you. It took me alot of different medication combinations and have finally found the one thats right for me.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: Any bipolar people here? [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3762357 - 02/10/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

/me seconds the above.

if you want to meet other bipolar people, or people with disrupted sleep cycles in general, you should check out the shroomery's irc chat :smile:.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
    #3762380 - 02/10/05 04:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I think I am....I've never been diagnosed, but I avoid anything psychiatric like the plague....I'd much rather deal with it on my own.

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Any bipolar people here? [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3762459 - 02/10/05 04:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I have not really been diagnosed with anything specific but I was taking Lexapro for a while for problems somewhat simlarto those of the symptoms of bipolar disorder, and since that did not work I was prescribed Seroquel. With this prescription, I decided to call it quits to pharmecueticals and seeing a psychiatrist. I'm weening off Lexapro and going to look into Holistic doctors if I'm miserable while drug free. I currently take Omega 3's which, while they give me fish breathe, make my stomach burn, and don't drastically help me mentally, definately result with me being a healthier individual.

Some quick advice:
-I would stay the hell away from Seroquel, Risperadal, and any other of the drugs in this class of antipsychotics. On top of having rather nasty side effects, these drugs have been known to cause a neurological movement disorder in a significant fraction of the individuals who have taken these meds. My knowledge of Lithium is very limited, but I am well aware that the old class of antiphsycotics such as Thorazine had horrendous side-effects for some.
-Only try pharms if all the safer alternatives have been exhausted.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #3763098 - 02/10/05 07:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've been diagnosed bipolar in the past when I was a teenager.  But I do not take any medication.  I used to, but then the side-effects got too much. 

Good luck with finding something that works for you!  :heart:

OfflineVulture
Pursuer ofWisdom
 User Gallery

Loc: SC
Re: Any bipolar people here? [Re: MOTH]
    #3763810 - 02/10/05 09:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

they put my girlfriend on lithium when she was 14.

she went to the psychiatrist tripping on acid.

--------------------
Work like you dont need the money.

Love like you never been hurt.

Dance like nobody is watching.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Any bipolar people here? [Re: Vulture]
    #3765300 - 02/11/05 04:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I hear people can change a lot, personality wise, when they are put on Lithium. Anyone notice that?

OfflineBobfirechief
Free Thinker
Male
    #3766132 - 02/11/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Both my mother and I were diagnosed with bipolar disorder .

I've had a very troublesome childhood because of this . My mother has attempted suicide 3 times , the last time I found her and called the paramedics wich saved her life . She was diagnosed 7 years ago and its been 3 years since her last suicide attempt . Since then she has been on a slew of nasty pharms including Wellbutrin, Depakote , Lithium , and Serqoul . However lately she has been doing real good and hasn't slipped into a major depression for quite some time .

I dislike her taking these medications because of the terrible side effects they can produce , however if she was off the meds she could become a danger to herself and possibly others .

I myself was diagnosed about 4 years ago and have never been medicated . Sometimes I think that I was misdiagnosed , but when my sleeping and eating patterns change and I feel my mind race it's hard to deny .

Living with this is no doubt a bitch but what can we do ?

The least you can do is give the meds a shot . See if they work for you . Chances are it will takes years before they find the right combination that suits you but at least give it a try .

--------------------
What we think, we become.

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3778186 - 02/14/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Do you guys think it's irresponsible for bipolar people to take psychedelics?
I think they have aided me, because being manic is a bit like tripping. You view of reality can change. Tripping can help me cope and handle this.
Do you guys think psychedelics can cause bipolarity?

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3778269 - 02/14/05 12:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

people with disrupted sleep cycles in general

:thumbup: Count me among the people with disrupted sleep cycles.

Quote:

Do you guys think it's irresponsible for bipolar people to take psychedelics?

Only if it's done irresponsibly.You have to make sure that the psychedelics wont interfere with your meds causing major side effects and you have to be careful to avoid things that will bring about psychotic episodes and you should avoid depressants obviously.

Quote:

Some could damage/interfere with brain chemicals and chemical receptors in the brain.Particularly high doses of drugs are problematic.Its not just psychedelics that can cause problems but any drug taken in too high of doses or too often will cause problems sooner or later.Regular high doses of even marijuana can cause depression and anxiety disorders.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
Re: Any bipolar people here? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3778773 - 02/14/05 04:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

It's a common belief that seems true that psychadelics can only trigger prexisting latent mental conditions rather than create them.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleDark_Star
dick butterfly
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Under the Grecian fog
    #3779021 - 02/14/05 05:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah man, psychedelics have helped me out so much, esp. in this area...I don't even know where to begin. I don't think it's irresponsible at all, in fact, when used correctly it can help you deal with, and live with these issues. I don't even want to think about where I'd be right now (mentally, spiritually and physically) if I never tripped....I count psychedelic experiences as some of the most important, if not the most importnat experiences in my life.  :peace:

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Any bipolar people here? [Re: Dark_Star]
    #3780135 - 02/14/05 08:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
Yeah man, psychedelics have helped me out so much, esp. in this area...I don't even know where to begin. I don't think it's irresponsible at all, in fact, when used correctly it can help you deal with, and live with these issues. I don't even want to think about where I'd be right now (mentally, spiritually and physically) if I never tripped....I count psychedelic experiences as some of the most important, if not the most importnat experiences in my life.  :peace:

Well said...I feel the same way.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being