Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTengu
journeyman
Salvia Strains
    #376216 - 08/22/01 09:19 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Heyo,

today i made my way through a bunch of different ethnobotanical suppliers and i noticed that some claim to have special strains of salvia which should be in some way special or better or whatever they think they are.
Do you think that the strain can influence the amount of salvinorin A per g in a way you can notice w/o problems?
Or is the way you fertilize them the important aspect? (so to say, just give them a good life and they will thank you in their own way)
When i think of MJ it seems that strain is very important. But i havnt seen anyone bother about potency of salvia like the potency of MJ or Phalaris as an other example.

My own thoughts about this are... Salvia seems to come from a very small area, so there wont be really different strains in nature. Also it is propagated by making cuttings of the stem. So how can different strains develop? There cant be genetical differences as long as the plants only get cloned.
Someone must have succeded in making plants from seeds, and that in a really big amount to get different strains. I think i read that even in nature the plants dont use seeds to make new ones, they just fall over and root where they touch the ground. So in my opinion there can`t be really genetically different strains.

So can anyone please tell me that i am wrong and give me a good explanation why i am?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhyl
old hand
Loc: United Kingdom
Re: Salvia Strains [Re: Tengu]
    #376230 - 08/22/01 09:34 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Salvia can be propogated from seed, it's just not very common. Different strains do exist with different properties, such as 'palletable' which is supposed to taste better than most varieties.
It's certainly my experience that some strains are more potent than others, as I have grown 3 different types fo salvia (Although I'm not sure which strains these were), and there were definate differences in potency between them.

Take care

Phil

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden