Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years
    #3761698 - 02/10/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I pray that the following isn't true.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...surviveforyears

Insurgency predicted to survive for years

Thu Feb 10, 9:40 AM ET Top Stories - Chicago Tribune

By Liz Sly Tribune foreign correspondent

Iraq (news - web sites)'s insurgency will last many years, a senior U.S. official in Baghdad predicted Wednesday, tempering expectations that the success of the recent election would help end the violence that still threatens to undermine Iraq's journey toward democracy.

"I think it's going to take quite a number of years. I do not see any early end," the official said, in a sober assessment of the likely impact of the election on an insurgency fueled largely by Sunni resentment of the political process.

Iraq's Electoral Commission still has not finished counting the ballots, and officials said Wednesday that the final result, expected Thursday, would be delayed several days because of a variety of alleged discrepancies surrounding some ballot boxes.

Ballots from about 300 boxes will be recounted because of the allegations, which include suspicions of tampering, ballot stuffing and other irregularities. It wasn't clear how many votes will be affected by the review, but many of the boxes are believed to have come from the mostly Sunni province of Nineveh, home to the restive city of Mosul.

According to the last partial tally, the greatest share of votes has gone to a coalition of Shiite parties, with an alliance of the main Kurdish parties in second place, leaving Sunnis with little representation in the National Assembly that will form the next government and write the constitution.

No overall turnout figures have been released, but the partial returns and the size of the vote received by the Shiite and Kurdish alliances suggest few Sunnis voted, calling into question their likely acceptance of the new government that will be formed.

Although the insurgency failed in its threat to significantly disrupt the voting, it is also becoming clear that the election is unlikely to make a major dent in the insurgency's base of support, an assortment of committed Islamic radicals and former regime supporters as well as disaffected Sunnis opposed to the U.S. presence.

The American official, briefing reporters in Baghdad on condition of anonymity, said that the insurgency will not be defeated by military means alone and that a political settlement that gives Sunnis reason to have faith in the democratic process also will be needed.

"The most optimistic scenario is that you have on the one hand a set of political developments that increasingly convince Sunnis that they can live successfully and be reasonably well protected . . . not as an oppressed minority," he said. "And militarily you put more and more pressure on--and then it will still take years.

"It is political and military. They are not alternatives," he added.

However, he predicted that within a year, Iraq's regenerated security forces will be well placed to take on the bulk of the responsibility for fighting the insurgency, with U.S. troops playing a backup role. "I think we will make a lot of progress in the next year to having Iraqis in the lead," he said.

After a brief postelection lull, the pace of the violence has picked up. On Wednesday, a journalist, a government official and three politicians were assassinated and a top police officer was abducted from his car in Baghdad.

The journalist, Abdul Hussein Khazal, was the Basra correspondent for the U.S.-funded Al-Hurra television network in Iraq, a member of a Shiite political party and a spokesman for the local council, leaving it unclear precisely why he was targeted. He was gunned down by assailants at his home in Basra along with his 3-year-old son.

A director general of the Housing Ministry was shot dead in Baghdad, and a member of the Kurdish Democratic Party was killed when the car in which he was traveling with three colleagues was ambushed on the capital's notoriously violent Haifa Street, The Associated Press reported.

Two U.S. soldiers were killed, one in an attack on his patrol in Balad, north of Baghdad, and another by a gunshot wound in Balad, the U.S. military said.

The military also announced Wednesday that a U.S. soldier was killed Sunday in Mosul when his patrol came under fire.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3761719 - 02/10/05 02:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I pray to God we don't get involved in any other countries while we're still in Iraq. We'll have our work cut out for us there for a while.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3761734 - 02/10/05 02:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm sure it will survive a long time, just not in the capacity that it is today. Think about it. If Canada somehow had a real army and took over the US people would fight to the death to make sure they never succeed and make it hard as possible.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3761759 - 02/10/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Imagine Canadians actually invading America. For some reason I find that hilarious.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E
    #3761816 - 02/10/05 02:44 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Imagine Canadians actually invading America. For some reason I find that hilarious.

LOL Hockey sticks against fully automatic firearms. There's more guns in California than the whole of Cana-duh I bet.

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E
Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: California]
    #3761833 - 02/10/05 02:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

There were Insurgents over there long, long before 9/11 and the war.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: California]
    #3761856 - 02/10/05 02:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

1 entry found for insurgents.
in?sur?gent Audio pronunciation of "insurgents" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-s?rjnt)
adj.

1. Rising in revolt against established authority, especially a government.
2. Rebelling against the leadership of a political party.

n.

One who is insurgent.

I would think most countries would have insurgents.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#3762078 - 02/10/05 03:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

they'd invade with their hockey sticks.

edit: oregon beat me to it.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (02/10/05 03:39 PM)

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3762566 - 02/10/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

They might be there for years to come, but hopefully it will be Iraqis who fight them and not us.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3762791 - 02/10/05 06:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
They might be there for years to come, but hopefully it will be Iraqis who fight them and not us.

Exactly.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3763332 - 02/10/05 07:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

*cough* Remember the Soviet Invasion? *cough*

--------------------

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3763495 - 02/10/05 08:18 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The one that took 10 years and didn't destroy the resistance in AFghanistan? didn't we do that already, in about 1 year?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: SoopaX]
    #3763593 - 02/10/05 08:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The Taliban is very different from an insurgency. It was a cladestine government that formed rather quickly without any real organization in the mid 90's. The Taliban is a far cry from the Mujahideen of the 1980's, and definately a far cry from the pan-Arab emotional resistance in Iraq that we see today. What's happening right now in Iraq isn't much different from the resistance against the Soviet occupation. They are pretty much applying a 'Pressure & Time' strategy in Iraq. Insurgents don't expect to take over Baghdad. Their mode of operation is to keep the occupation bogged down for years until fiscally the occupation is no longer possible for the coalition to maintain.

--------------------

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #3764605 - 02/11/05 01:07 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zahudulallah said:
Their mode of operation is to keep the occupation bogged down for years until fiscally the occupation is no longer possible for the coalition to maintain.

Not only fiscally, but morale wise as well.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3764652 - 02/11/05 01:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yes, I agree.
I believe OBL wanted the US to invade a country with the chance of getting stuck there like he experienced with the Communists.
and we did exactly just that.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3764675 - 02/11/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yes... in the 1980's there was a spiritual euphoria in the Muslim world over the dedication of the Mujahideen against the Soviets. It was a period in modern history where many Muslims, Shias and Sunnis, put their diffences aside in order to struggle against an alien power that was attempting to colonize them. Muslim governments also put their differences aside, and the East Indians of Pakistan and the Arabs of Saudi Arabia cooperated in order to assist the growing resistance in Afghanistan.

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: Vvellum]
    #3764686 - 02/11/05 01:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
yes, I agree.
I believe OBL wanted the US to invade a country with the chance of getting stuck there like he experienced with the Communists.
and we did exactly just that.

In the October Surprise tape, OBL gloated how he outsmarted Bush because Bush became "dazzled" by the treasures (oil) in Iraq. OBL ain't stupid. He knew long before 9-11 that if the United States would ever dare to invade and occupy an Arab country that they would have hell to pay. Americans actually believed they would be greeted as liberators when they marched into Iraq - what were they thinking? This is an Arab country we're talking about; and Arabs are currently in a very deep seated intellectual struggle with the United States as a result of the state of Israel.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
Danger Man

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3764695 - 02/11/05 01:39 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zahudulallah said:
What's happening right now in Iraq isn't much different from the resistance against the Soviet occupation. They are pretty much applying a 'Pressure & Time' strategy in Iraq. Insurgents don't expect to take over Baghdad. Their mode of operation is to keep the occupation bogged down for years until fiscally the occupation is no longer possible for the coalition to maintain.

You've hit the proverbial nail on the head there. US troops, ostensibly there to "liberate" and maintain order are doing everything but these things. Once the US pulls out of there, (hopefully soon, but not bloody likely :frown: ) I do believe things will settle quite a bit....

OfflineFrankieJustTrypt
and fell

Loc: MI
Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3766412 - 02/11/05 01:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Think about it. If Canada somehow had a real army and took over the US people would fight to the death to make sure they never succeed and make it hard as possible.

What if they repealed all drug laws and lowered taxes?

To tell you the truth despite that being 2 of my main concerns with the real US gov't now, I'd still fight them. And I think most here would too.

--------------------
If you want a free lunch, you need to learn how to eat good advice.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Iraqi Insurgency predicted to survive for years [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3766434 - 02/11/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I believe that is the plan.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion