Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMcNewbie
the newbie
 User Gallery

Loc: southwest tennessee, USA
looking for an opinion on my planned setup
    #3760798 - 02/10/05 10:04 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I've grown using the PF Tek, tried casings and such too. I eventually figured out how to do it wihout too much contamination, but I'm still basically back to cakes and perlite. Too easy to get contaminants this way (mainly by ventilating it via opening the top and fanning it a bit). So I've designed a self-contained grow box, that you'll just have to add the colonized sustrate to once, then leave it while they grow.

http://www.geocities.com/fire_pillar/grow_op.html

Before I go investing in UV disinfectant lights, I'd like your expert opinions on the topic.

Is two lights overkill? I figure the one on the right is kind of unnecessary, but it can't hurt, anyway.

Also, is quat, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, povidone iodine, or >180 proof alcohol a better disinfectant?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: looking for an opinion on my planned setup [Re: McNewbie]
    #3760832 - 02/10/05 10:20 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Personally I think those UV lights are bad news, they can cause skin cancer. So if I were you I would work on and master streilization techniques to be rid of contams.Safer and cheaper!

QUAT... what is that ?

Bleach is good 2% solution will kill most nasties one will run into.
Peroxide and vinegar sprayed in fine mists together is good disenfectant(both diluted).
180 proof booze ...No good IMHO it contains sugars that could casue problems once the alch evaporates and is costly.
Iodine ...would not use that either .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineMcNewbie
the newbie
 User Gallery

Re: looking for an opinion on my planned setup [Re: tripndicular]
    #3760838 - 02/10/05 10:26 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

of course the UV lights are bad news if you're not careful about it. I was planning on running surgical tubing under the closet door and having the light and bottle in there. Switch on the outside of the closet, too, so I can turn it off and on without having to be exposed to it.

edit: quat is alkyl (di)methyl benzyl ammonium chloride! a powerful disinfectant. and by 180 proof alcohol i was thinking of maybe >90% isopropanol, or ddCOH.

Edited by McNewbie (02/10/05 10:29 AM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3760868 - 02/10/05 10:38 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

If that is what you are mind set on ...go for it.
Why use strong chemicals that after alot of exposure to , you could have bad side effects from ?
Bleach is strongest I use , only after some sort of contam in jars or grow chamber.
Peroxide vinegar solutions(sepereate) will kill just as much and is way safer IMHO.

Alot of folks have this misconception that if they keep getting contams to use stronger nastier chems to fight them off,it is not IMO. Work on those sterilization techniques they will carry you much farther and safer than chemical, or UV methods.

90% rubbing alch is fine.

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
    #3760888 - 02/10/05 10:46 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Whoa... someone finally almost got the fogger setup correct...

Usually I see diagrams with the fog rolling in from the tops of all those containers, then being immediately sucked out from the bottom with useless drip holes and such.

That is the correct setup for fogging, the more it has to rise, the thinner it gets. (Wide pipes are better then thin pipes also.)

The only two things that I don't like are...

1. The fan in the first fogging bottle. If the fogger has a fan, that is a waste. If it doesn't have a fan, you will blow the fog back into the fogger, and never get fog rolling out.

2. The ultraviolet light is useless on the exhaust, unless you are growing salmonilla and other crap inside the tank. It will not kill spores that exit the tank. (It will only sterilize some viruses, not killing them, but stopping them from reproducing.) By the way, you need a medical grade UV for that or pond water UV filter lights. Sun-tan lights and terrarium UV (For iguanas) is not powerful enough. It is also the wrong spectrum, lots of white light.

You don't need a hurricane in your fruiting chamber, just a tiny bit of replaced air every hour. Fans push 5-22 cubic feet per minute, that would empty and refill your setup about ten times a minute. I suggest that you go with a bubbler wand inside the fogger.

NOTE: That is FOG not HUMIDITY. That is why I call it a fogger, because it is an ultrasonic fogger, not a humidifier. (Humidity is about 1:100 the size of the globs of water that those spit out. They normally work by depositing water on your carpet/furniture where it then evaporates. That is what they are talking about when they complain about "White Spots" on thier carpet. The white spots are the mineral deposits that were once in your water, now permanantly set in your carpet/furniture.)

It will help raise humidity, after it settles on the walls and evaporates. Similar to the uselessness of the cool mist humidifiers. They work by throwing water at a wall and shattering the drops into even less fog. But it is still fog.

A better setup for foggers would be a long PVC tube that almost touches the cieling, with slow and dry air passing through it, to evaporate the water better.

My old rig... (Disabled temporarily for enhancement. This normally feeds eight 40gallon chambers with one fogger, or four 40 gallons and four bags.) This beast has a UV circulator, for sterilization and better evaporation. (Made from a water UV sterilizer, it has hose wrapped several times around the bulb and a reflector around the outside.) Eight hoses are return hoses, and eight hoses are feed hoses. There is also a fish-tank air-pump supplying a constant source of fresh air to the UV recirculatior. The fan is the right side, in that bumped part with the PVC adaptor.

Here is some of the chambers and bags...

This is similar to what my fogger looks like inside, except it floats on a styrofoam ring that keeps it at the proper level in the water. The plastic around/above the fogger is an anti-splash and fog control device. I lower it for less fog, and raise it for more. It is actually perfect the way it is now.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (02/10/05 10:58 AM)

OfflineMcNewbie
the newbie
 User Gallery

Re: looking for an opinion on my planned setup [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3761060 - 02/10/05 11:43 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

right. i know about the different types of UV lights (some for heating, some for fluorescence, some for disinfecting, etc. i'm looking into some of the disinfectant lightbulbs from SOS lighting.) i'll do away with the light on the exhaust, and take out the first fan (leave the tube for ventilation, just take away the fan).

you say i'm pulling too much air through the chamber-- but do you realize how small 40 mm by 40 mm is? the fan is about the size of the face on your wristwatch.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation