Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
POT
    #3760535 - 02/10/05 05:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Clay pots (unglazed) for flower planting have a unique ability, they wick large amounts of water into themselves, until at maximum capacity.

What?s this have to do with mushroom cultivation, you ask.

Well, mushrooms are 90% water. The more water you can feed a bulk substrate, without overdoing it, the better off you are.

Keeping a substrate at maximum capacity is a tricky thing. Using a clay pot as a container may be of benefit.

Since they can withstand kiln temperatures, it would not be a problem to sterilize one in an oven.

They are cheap, opaque & come in literally hundreds of sizes & shapes. I would think ones with a ceramic glazed exterior, unglazed on the bottom & inside would work great.

Certainly, they have some downsides, they are fairly fragile & are somewhat heavy.

It just seems that the possible advantages, outweigh the disadvantages.

Hell, bake one in an oven @ 400F for an hour & it would be squeaky decontaminated.

Load with bulk substrate, maybe add a few sterilized clay pot shards to substrate for more moisture holding capacity, add spawn, cover with cling wrap with a few needle holes in it, until colonized, add casing & fruit away.

After first flush, sit in pan of water, allow to re-hydrate & go again & again & again, until it will not produce any more decent flushes..

Sounds like a fun experiment is in order..

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChunkster
Incubatin'
Loc: Canada
Re: POT [Re: agar]
    #3760707 - 02/10/05 07:06 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I can't see anything wrong with what you're suggesting, in fact, it seems like a great idea!

The aesthetics would be nice, too.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3760784 - 02/10/05 07:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Another downfall...from this growers point of view, would be the porous nature of terra-cotta could and would possibly harbor contams,especially once some myc waist got absorbed into the pot,after successive grows in one.They alsp tend to grow algae when kept wet alot.
Cool idea , it is worth trying out , keep us informed as to your results. I am more curious to know results after 3 or 4th run in them.
FKR I thought you were going to show us some tek using some old bunk weed as a sub :wink:Had me all excited.

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: POT [Re: tripndicular]
    #3760789 - 02/10/05 08:00 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

over at mycotopia, skyypilot grew on a qp of white widow... had me more depressed than excited though :frown:

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Invisibleshobimono
Why?
    #3760910 - 02/10/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

They are cheap, opaque & come in literally hundreds of sizes & shapes. I would think ones with a ceramic glazed exterior, unglazed on the bottom & inside would work great.

<snip>

After first flush, sit in pan of water, allow to re-hydrate & go again & again & again, until it will not produce any more decent flushes..

If you are going to soak it after a flush, wouldn't you want a completely unglazed pot? I would think that trying to soak up water only through the bottom would be inefficient?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POT [Re: shobimono]
    #3761036 - 02/10/05 09:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The ENTIRE bottom and INSIDE should be unglazed. The part that your looking at in the picture (the outside), could be glazed...or not..I dont think it would matter.

I bet soaking the whole pot before using it would hydrate it a bit...interesting idea..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Re: POT [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3761074 - 02/10/05 09:46 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

sounds like a great idea there agar. keep us updated.

--------------------

Edited by Tweexican (02/10/05 09:47 AM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: POT [Re: shobimono]
    #3761170 - 02/10/05 10:20 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

shobimono said:
Quote:

<snip>

If you are going to soak it after a flush, wouldn't you want a completely unglazed pot? I would think that trying to soak up water only through the bottom would be inefficient?

No glaze coating AT ALL , how would water soak thru ?
I do believe the old man said this already. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineChrisHippyLoser
Dope Smoker

Loc: Big Tex
Re: POT [Re: tripndicular]
    #3761341 - 02/10/05 11:06 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i'll second tripndicular on the algae thing...i keep a little window garden and a few of my pots grow mold on the outsides...and if you leave any standing water they'll certainly grow something funky...i definantly think it would be worth a try, but just a warning...granted i don't sterilize the pots my houseplants are in...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract