Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnOddLittlePlace
Novice Grower
 User Gallery

Loc: Tumble down shack in Bigf...
I n c u b a t o r
    #3755305 - 02/09/05 09:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

So i need to build a simple incubator, something that can fit in a decent sized closet and hold 12-24 half pint pf jars. Im looking at doing the "A Simple Cutless Incubator" http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7961

From what i gather this is what is often referred to as a tit.

My Questions are as follows.
1. For people who have done this what did you use to hold down the heater. The metal clamps used in the tek i linked?
2. If so is this safe, hot metal touching a rubbermaid?
3. Any comments pro or con on this method. How well does it work?
4. Any suggestions on a different tek or any improvements to this one?

--------------------

My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the West.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I n c u b a t o r [Re: AnOddLittlePlace]
    #3755358 - 02/09/05 09:49 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

you assume correctly,

1. usualy the heaters come with suction cups, they sometimes work depending on the texture of the tub
2. yes, the heaters dont get hot enough (if the waterlevel is monitored) to melt the tubs
3. it works great, I have used it with some 4' tubs and a 300 watt heater
4. it works just fine as is.

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: I n c u b a t o r [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3755573 - 02/09/05 10:43 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't bother with the metal clamps as long as the suction cups that come with the heater work. I'm using this slight variation on that theme, although I didn't bother putting jars in the bottom to hold the top tub up. I only have 8 jars, and they don't weigh enough to push the top tub down onto the heater. With 24 jars like you're wanting, you might have to put some glasses or something in there. You were asking how good this tek is, IMO it's probably the most common incubation tek among the people on this forum. It's cheap ($15 heater, 2 $3 tubs), effective and concealable. Keeps your jars in the dark and at the proper temps. Doesn't get much better than that.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

OfflineAnOddLittlePlace
Novice Grower
 User Gallery

Loc: Tumble down shack in Bigf...
Re: I n c u b a t o r [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3756614 - 02/09/05 03:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

thanks everyone, for as usual, speedy replies. may you all have a good day

--------------------

My mind was wandering like the wild geese in the West.

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: I n c u b a t o r [Re: AnOddLittlePlace]
    #3760010 - 02/10/05 01:01 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I have been reading forums on this site for about a month.  I have been doing the brf method the past 3 weeks.  I do 10 half pint jars every weekend, so I will be doing my 4th this week.  My first batch of 10 from 1-18 are fruiting merrily along in some fruiting chambers i made.  My question is about an incubator tho.  On the first 2 batches, i put my cakes in 120qt Rubbermaid container.  I tried to use a fish tank heater in a sealed pitcher, but the Rubbermaid was too big and it couldn't raise the temperature enough.  I was monitoring temperature every 2hrs for 2days hehe.  So what i ended up doing was putting a small space heater with a temp guage on it in one end, blowing toward the jars at the other.  They colonized in 10days, and i fruited them 4days later at 2weeks in.  Has anyone else ever done something like this? Also, i noticed the temp would vary by 3-4 degrees as the heater went off and on.  Is that bad? or does it sorta recreate nature?

After reading some forums, I made a new incubator last weekend.  I bought an Igloo 120 qt. Ice chest and a gallon jar of pickles in a glass jar :smile: I emptied the pickles and rinsed jar, filled almost full with a slight bleach solution of water.  I cut a small hole in the lid that i could push fish heater plug thru.  I pulled the heater to very near the lid so that it could hang in the water, and still be adjusted by pulling lid off and lifting out of water a bit.  I taped up the top as solidly as i could for no water leakage.  With the lid closed it maintains 84 degrees with no variation:)  My next question is:  should i be concerned about airflow?  The ice chest is not 100% airtight atm because the wire from the heater is going out the back, but it is pretty close?  I have been thinking of taping a single hose from a small air pump to the heater power cord, to shoot in free air constantly.  Is air exchange during incubation important enough for that?  Thanks to anyone who answers, I know this info is probably searchable, but i haven't come across it in 10+ hrs of reading.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order