Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Being Open Minded
    #3758412 - 02/09/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What does that mean to people here?

I thought it meant being open to all possibilities and never coming to final conclusions about anything regarding beliefs. A conclusion is like an ending, a wall that closes something in.

Someone just told me to keep an open mind and I have no idea why.

I own two absolute conclusive beliefs. One is that the only thing that never changes is change itself. Wouldn't that be a mind fuck if I was wrong. I'll consider it for fun.

The other is that spirit is eternal and that eternity is the spirit in witness of itself. In other words, they need each other for either to even exist. What a mind fuck if that one is wrong. I will consider that as well.

I use to have one more and that was that the only law that will never be broken is the law of cause and effect. I've been challenging even that lately and am working on some theories.

I think that only applies to linearville. Once you are in simultaneous time what happens? There is no absolute before and after. You can depart before you arrive in simultaneous time.

maybe a form of cause and effect is still in play but radically different from how we understand it.

You can eat donuts and then go back in time before you ate them and not gain weight, but you got to pig out without the undesirable effects. You can do this shit in lucid dream time. "If" that is a valid reality in another dimension then, cause and effect as we know it isn't an absolute of the whole universe of experiences and I am including dream time realms and other realities of consciousness experience.

Of course I have to come to preferential conclusions about decision making to move through the day and my life. Choosing preferences is not the same as choosing absolute beliefs to live within. Preferences are easy to change and flex and bend and even drop, beliefs are not.

What does being open minded mean to people here?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Being Open Minded [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3758446 - 02/09/05 08:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

essential

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #3758460 - 02/09/05 08:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Keep your mind open but dont let your brains fall out.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Being Open Minded [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3758542 - 02/09/05 08:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Funny red crayon!

Can you expantiate on that Red vine?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #3758677 - 02/09/05 08:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What does being open minded mean to people here?

opened mindedness to me is to be able to see different perspectives, perceptions, possiblities and to be able to see beyond fact, knowledge and words.

nice to see you around jig-jig  :heart:
peace

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Being Open Minded [Re: spudamore]
    #3759561 - 02/09/05 11:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I liked what you said about open mindedness. Add it all to my list!

The weather warmed up and I dove into outdoor projects for a bit. I love being active outside and primping the gardens and painting and spring cleaning. I have to make it a habit to take more regular mini breaks from here as I noticed I recentered my center when I pulled away from thinking and talking about this stuff for a short while.

Always nice to see you too.  :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #3759705 - 02/09/05 11:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

when i think of being open minded, normaly i would think of it as accepting the fact that i might be wrong

and i might find an expierance to be diffrent in reality then what my biased mind told me before the expiernce

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3759740 - 02/09/05 11:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

something about "if god can't create a stone that is too heavy for him to lift, he is not almighty.. and if he does, he can't lift it.. so, god isn't almighty.."

dunno really, someone said it in irc..

can you not fail, then you, fail at failing...
you cant even fail at failing, failing..

an open mind; compared to an open book, which lay out of reach either opened or closed, if you were close minded, fore someone to 'read' in your 'book', one would have to get it opened up somehow.
were you open minded, however, one could 'read' it at will.

Open: left not concluded, not finished, enter and exit, beginning and end..

are you open, are you able to continue where you leave, when you begin 
again..

open minded, you begin, when you began ending, what you begun..

oh wait, these are all lies! my left drainage pipe wrote this..  thank you, and bye bye.. :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Being Open Minded [Re: Gomp]
    #3759884 - 02/10/05 12:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

maybe a form of cause and effect is still in play but radically different from how we understand it.

the continuous perception of time which one experiences when one is jumping around in time, creating paradoxes willy-nilly, is what 'cause and effect' is confused with. or equal to.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
    #3760337 - 02/10/05 03:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

an example here

Someone who is willing to sit down and find out for themselves whether the bible is full of holes. Perhaps you yourself believe that the bible is full of inaccuracies. Are you open-minded enough to check out the source documents by opening the bible and finding out for yourself whether or not it is true? Have you thought about going and reading the original bible and see how the King James version compares to it.

Perhaps you believe that Jesus was just a nice moral teacher, no more, no less. Are you open-minded enough to open up the bible and find out for yourself who Jesus really was? Or go search for other evidence as to who he was.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Being Open Minded [Re: Cosm]
    #3760744 - 02/10/05 07:35 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

To way too many here, being open-minded means accepting popular mythology as factual.

Oooh! Pyramid power, that is cool. Yeah BigFoot, crop circles, reincarnation, UFOs, telekinesis - if you do not accept the flimsy "evidence" for these, you are a close-minded and cynical skeptic. Doesn't matter how much one has researched these.

In summation, if you do NOT agree with the poster's views, then you are close-minded. Basically, it is a thinly-disguised insult.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Being Open Minded [Re: Swami]
    #3760749 - 02/10/05 07:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

To be young and open to the world that is ready to destroy you.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Being Open Minded [Re: Droz]
    #3760766 - 02/10/05 07:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There is nothing quite like an incomplete sentence.  :rolleyes:

Try: subject - verb - object

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3761247 - 02/10/05 10:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:
I thought it meant being open to all possibilities and never coming to final conclusions about anything regarding beliefs.

Thats exactly what it means. For me at least.

I find it interesting how when someone presents an arguement for a possibility, it is instantly assumed a 100% belief.

In terms of my believe in E.T visiting planet Earth, it always has been a 99.9% belief. Simply because I believe nothing completely, I don't completely believe in myself. Why would I when I can dream I'm a different entity all together and accept it as real, at the time?!

I just think through my logic, research, science and experience that E.T exists. Allow me to explain the factors, as they progressed in my life:

Aged 11 me and 2 friends see a large unknown circular lighted craft, no less than 30 feet away from us, land behind his house.

I then research books. I read every little thing I can find on the phenomena.

Throughout history man kind has seen strange 'mechanical air ships', we have drawn paintings of humanoid entities appearing from these craft. This history has no boundaries of age or culture.

There is a huge and constant stream of sightings of theses ships, although many are optical illusions or known phenomena. I know that I saw one so I believe at least some of these people to of seen what I have also seen. Some of them are highly intelligent people, aware of optical illusion etc

Science itself, states that it is highly likely that life exists elsewhere in this vast Universe, plus we recently discovered frozen micro-organisms on asteroids, evidence supporting this claim.

I don't believe our government has done this as they could not manufacture mankinds history (at least it is far less likely imo than E.T).

Time travelling future humans is possible but IMO less likely than aliens in this Universe figuring out how to get here. Considering the amount of new rocks / planets found in our solar system alone, they could be closer than we think. Considering how long humans have been here compared to the estimated time of the universe, if E.T did exist then its had plenty of time to gain intelligence/work ways out.

The arguement that aliens would not want to view 'dumb humans', is a human concept and thus completely unfounded. Contradictory to this is that we humans have used intelligence to study every apsect of life possible.

To me it appears clearly that E.T is the most simple and logical answer for all this. It doesn't mean I'm off to perform weird rituals and make up crazy beliefs just because some people have. It is assumption which is the humans worst enemy.

All I have made is a possibility based on my own life experience, logic and likelyness. This is where we all meet because I see everybody on here has done the same. We have all experienced our own reality, even if you claim there is no suggestion of E.T life, you are equal for existing within your own reality.

Ultimately nothing can be proved. Until we can all link our brains up with a USB cable or something I doubt this discussion will get any further.

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

#3761295 - 02/10/05 10:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
To way too many here, being open-minded means accepting popular mythology as factual.

Oooh! Pyramid power, that is cool. Yeah BigFoot, crop circles, reincarnation, UFOs, telekinesis - if you do not accept the flimsy "evidence" for these, you are a close-minded and cynical skeptic. Doesn't matter how much one has researched these.

It matters a hell of a lot how well you have researched "these".

The way you present yourself, suggests you are catagorising. Taring many subjects with the same brush.

You chuck a whole bundle of philosophies into one box and expect everyone to believe that YOU have done complete and unbiased research. Hmmmmmmmm, I doubt it.

I suggest that maybe you have put groups of ideas into certain places and then labelled them as understood never to be re-considered. This is what is a lack of open-mindedness.

An open minded person never makes a complete decion, one way or the other. The decion is OPEN to change on the appearance or weight of new ideas / evidence / concepts.

--------------------

Edited by danoEoboy (02/10/05 11:10 AM)

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3761313 - 02/10/05 10:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I want to say thank you to everyone who posted replies here! This was a refreshing read and open my mind even more about open mindedness.

droz, how is thinking the world is only out to destroy you being open minded? It has also cared for me, nurtured me, helped me grow and has shown me wonderful things.

I liked the visual on the book gomp as many don't see it as being a form of opening yourself to others.

Guri, I liked how you added being able to admit when you were wrong in a judgment or assumption because you were able to reconsider new information. That ties in with what Cosm said about being able and willing to look for holes and at what doesn't make sense.

Zeke, thanks for playing with that one on me. Right,. I am yet working out how awareness in simultaneous time is yet not sequential in that moments follow moments even if the can run backwards or sideways and if that is a form of cause and effect. maybe linear movement has nothing to do with it. The choice to move one way or not is a cause that effects a new place of awareness. maybe the law remains but it is just experienced differently.

Swami, even your reply got me thinking about how its close minded to call someone close minded. I was thinking about how Hue said I was for wondering why some people think they know it all. That is being closed minded, how do I know if people think they know it all? He was right and I opened my mind up again to not make such an assumption just because people word themselves to appear so , doesn't make it so.

Same goes in reverse with calling someone close minded. How does anyone know how closed up ones mind really is and what is it being compared too? It is being closed minded to make that assumption.

Swami, you have always maintained that you have done your own research in areas and if you do not believe in something its because you have not found evidence to satisfy you. You have also maintained that you are yet open to possibilities and reviewing new evidence information. Maybe people say it to you because of the way you word yourself also and they are making assumptions.

Maybe I should start a post on what being closed minded is. Is it a refusal to accept possibilities? Is it a refusal to accept evidence or consider evidence or information? is it a form of being in denial of the obvious or appear ant and isn't that relative?

I can say one thing. Gomp helped to open my mind a lot here when he first came ending everything with a question mark. I played with that in my head for a while and it felt neat to put everything into a state of suspended uncertainty.

But, you have to be careful not to fall into perpetual self doubt and never trust a thing or you may be rendered to paralyzed to move or act. Maybe, I just haven't developed a comfort level with that MO. Still playing with that one.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineAreoZephin
Stranger

Loc: New Earth
    #3761331 - 02/10/05 11:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hold on.

I think that you should be open minded more of nature than people. Because if you let yourself be completely open minded to other people it could brainwash your ideas and opinions that could eventually be correct later on in life, and that being open minded could be a barrier to yourself and for the better. Now I'm not saying not to be open minded at all, but not where you are doubting yourself.

But being open minded for those who are in need, yeah.

--------------------
The Pharisees and the scholars have taken the keys of knowledge and have hidden them. They have not entered nor have they allowed those who want to enter to do so.

InvisibleEgo Death
 User Gallery

Re: Being Open Minded [Re: AreoZephin]
    #3761360 - 02/10/05 11:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

An open minded person never makes a complete decion, one way or the other. The decion is OPEN to change on the appearance or weight of new ideas / evidence / concepts.

Being open minded would not make you instantly gullible.

It may allow you to take more time and consideration over things though. Which IMO would aid humanity an awful lot!

I hate fighting this definition of wording stuff because its subjective to technicalities, in itself!

--------------------

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Being Open Minded [Re: AreoZephin]
    #3761361 - 02/10/05 11:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe that is where some confusion lies for some. being open minded doesn't mean believing in everything anyone says. It may to some (have to stay open minded about what being open minded is) To me, it just means always being willing to reconsider possibilities as new experience and information comes in.

To say you don't believe something but that you are will to reconsider the possibility if certain evidence or experience shows up, then, that's still being open minded to me.

I liked what you said about looking at the nature of things versus words. That opened up something new in me too.

Sounds like you understood what I said about how believing in everything could actually lead to underlying feelings of self doubt which may not be good when it comes to having to take action. yet, who says we ever do have to take action? I'm still thinking through this one.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Being Open Minded [Re: Ego Death]
    #3761403 - 02/10/05 11:22 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

danoEoboy said:

Being open minded would not make you instantly gullible.

It may allow you to take more time and consideration over things though.  Which IMO would aid humanity an awful lot!

We posted at the same time and you slipped this in before my last one went up. That ties into what I just said about staying open to reconsideration. being in refusal of that is probably where I may call that ONE instance being closed minded, yet they may be open minded to reconsidering anything else.

I have also been called gullible to in areas where I was just open to consideration and came to no conclusions let alone took action as if I beleived in something being so when I never got that far.

How is it being gullible to be in consideration of something? I don't know? :confused:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order