Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Colo. Prof. Says He Mourns All Killed 9-11
    #3752304 - 02/08/05 06:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050208/ap_on_re_us/speaker_protest

Colo. Prof. Says He Mourns All Killed 9-11

1 hour, 31 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

By DAN ELLIOTT, Associated Press Writer

BOULDER, Colo. - A University of Colorado professor who once compared some of the World Trade Center victims to a Nazi war criminal said Tuesday he mourns for everyone killed on Sept. 11 and conceded that he could have explained himself better.

Ward Churchill made the comparison in an essay written hours after the 2001 attacks and later revised for a book. He called some victims "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who organized the Nazi campaign to exterminate European Jews.

"I wouldn't retract it. I would explain it better," Ward Churchill told The Associated Press.

The essay, "Some People Push Back," attracted little notice until last month, after Churchill was invited to speak at Hamilton College, a private liberal arts school. Hamilton professor Theodore Eismeier has said he found the essay on the Internet during what he calls "a casual effort to learn more about Churchill."

Churchill said he was referring to "technocrats" who participate in what he calls repressive American policies around the world. He said those include Iraqi trade sanctions after the first Gulf War (news - web sites) that have been blamed for the deaths of 500,000 children.

"I didn't mean the floor sweepers, the passers-by, the children," Churchill said.

"If someone were to ask me, 'Do you feel sorrow for the victims of 9-11,' of course I do," he said. "Let's begin with the children. Yes, they were innocent. And I mourn them. But they were not more innocent than those half-million Iraqi children."

The university backed off a threat to postpone a Tuesday night speech, saying students who claimed there were death threats had changed their stories. Earlier this month, Hamilton canceled Churchill's speech, citing death threats against the professor and its administrators.

Churchill said he did not mean to say the World Trade Center "technocrats" were Nazis but were, like Eichmann, bureaucrats who participated in an immoral system.

"He did not necessarily agree with the goals of the Nazis with regard to the Jews, but he performed his functions brilliantly," Churchill said. "This is Eichmann: He's integral. The Holocaust could not have happened without him."

Churchill said he shares some guilt because he participates in the system he accuses of wrongdoing: "I could do more. I'm complicit. I'm not innocent."

Gov. Bill Owens has called for Churchill to be fired, and the school is investigating whether the tenured professor of ethnic studies can be fired. Someone painted swastikas on the back of his pickup truck.

Churchill said Owens was "flagrantly out of line" in calling for his firing and had intruded on the authority of the university's Board of Regents. He said the university investigation concerns him more because of the threat it poses to academic independence.

"I never intended to be a poster boy for academic freedom," he said.

In an e-mail to The Associated Press, Eismeier said he was alarmed by the "outlandish and odious rhetoric" and urged Hamilton administrators to withdraw Churchill's invitation. When they did not, he alerted the upstate New York school's student newspaper, which published a story about Churchill's writings Jan. 21.

Within days, the essay was national news. New York Gov. George Pataki called Churchill a "bigoted terrorist supporter" and the relative of one Sept. 11 victim called him a "nut case." The Colorado Legislature branded the comments "evil and inflammatory."

The ACLU issued a statement defending Churchill's right to speak out and called on regents, legislators and the governor "to stop threatening Mr. Churchill's job because of the content of his opinions."

Scholars worry the backlash will leave other professors fearful of challenging conventional opinion.

"We recognize that academic freedom comes with limits, but we also know that any interference with academic freedom without strong cause sends a very chilling message to the entire academic community," said Barbara Bintliff, chairwoman of the Boulder Faculty Assembly.

David Horowitz, a champion of conservative causes who has long accused American universities of overstocking their faculties with leftists, said firing Churchill would violate his First Amendment rights and set a bad precedent.

He called instead for an inquiry into the university's hiring and promotion procedures "to see how Ward Churchill could get to the pinnacle of the faculty, to be the chair of an entire department."

"This isn't like a guy who was suddenly exposed," Horowitz said. "This is a guy who's been out in the open for 30 years and was promoted."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: Colo. Prof. Says He Mourns All Killed 9-11 [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3753812 - 02/08/05 11:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The Marxists in America are pigs that feed at the trough. Michael Moore probably has more than 100 million dollars for all I know. This guy Chuchill gets thousands for every speaking appearance. You know he cashes those checks.

If the people in the trade center are Eichmans, than so is Ward Churchill. I am glad that he "feels some guilt" for participating in the system. If he didn't make such of an ass out of himself, nobody would want to pay to hear him speak. That is his job. He does it quite well.

Basically, if you work for any company, or even if you have your own company, you yourself are a little Eichman in his world view. The only innocent people are those who suck at the teat of the public dole.

I would love to see what Ward Churchill does with his money. That evil money that everyone wants, he wants it too. Fuck him. Self interest is bad unless it is his self interest. Fucking whacko.

Also, if you sweep a floor you are innocent. If you bust your ass and achieve the top of your profession, you are to blame for 911. Fucking whacko.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Colo. Prof. Says He Mourns All Killed 9-11 [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3754123 - 02/09/05 12:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

As I remember, his University of Colorado salary is around $100,000 a year.  Not bad for someone who "hates profit".  :lol:

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #3755650 - 02/09/05 11:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That's a left-speak verbal contraction for "I hate other people's profit, especially when they don't agree with me."

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #3755665 - 02/09/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You don't get it. He's not a Capitalist boss, he's a worker. The concept of "profit" is irrelevant to workers. Especially those workers whose salaries are paid through tax dollars.

Phred

--------------------

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3756110 - 02/09/05 01:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I read one of his books several years ago. It was called Pacifism as Pathology - it basically said that sometimes you need to use arms in defending yourself particularly in political confict and that pacifism is nothing but wishy-washy ideology. It was a good book.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Colo. Prof. Says He Mourns All Killed 9-11 [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3756184 - 02/09/05 01:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I would love to see what Ward Churchill does with his money.

Churchhill is heavily active in the Native American struggles, particularly AIM and other programs that feed and take care of Native families. He's involved in the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee. So, I assume he pours alot of money into that. I also know he runs a gun safety and training facility.

Here's the essay in its entirely. Judge for yourself.
http://www.darknightpress.org/index.php?i=news&c=recent&view=9&long=1

Jump to top Pages: 1