Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShrooms4Less
Shroom4Free
 User Gallery

Loc: Right Here
Double end casing PF cakes?
    #3755379 - 02/09/05 11:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I was just wondering if anyone knew what this is and how it is accoplished? Also I was wondering as looking through all the grow pics on this site what is the brown stuff put on the bottom and top of the PF Cakes? Thank you for all of your help people. Peace.

--------------------
If your friend is already dead, and being eaten by vultures, I think it's okay to feed some bits of your friend to one of the vultures, to teach him to do some tricks. But ONLY if you're serious about adopting the vulture. - Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJack_Tripper
Stranger
Re: Double end casing PF cakes? [Re: Shrooms4Less]
    #3755472 - 02/09/05 12:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That brown stuff is vermiculite, a soil additive. It has the ability to hold moisture rather well. It is what you use to put on the top and bottom of the cake to feed the cake the water it needs. You need to keep it moist at all times by periodically dripping or spraying water onto the vermiculite. It can be purchased from garden centers and nurserys. Lowes home improvement garden center is a place that usually always has it.

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Double end casing PF cakes? [Re: Shrooms4Less]
    #3755476 - 02/09/05 12:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

All those pictures you that have brown stuff on the bottom and top are cakes that have been double end cased. The brown stuff is vermiculite. When you birth your cake, birth it into a jar lid or similar small dish/container that has a layer of moist vermiculite in it. Then, spoon another layer of vermiculite on top of the cake and moisten it with an eye dropper, syringe, or spray bottle. Then every couple days or so, re-moisten the top and bottom vermiculite layers. It's a method of keeping the cake hydrated, a pretty tried and true one.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation