Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
try a new strain
    #3755365 - 02/09/05 09:51 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

after my partially successful experience with ecuador, i'd like to try growing a different strain now. what would you guys suggest? i'm looking for something easy and fast to grow on rye or millet, and also easy to grow outdoor with straw+horsedung in my climate (hardiness zone 9)...

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: try a new strain [Re: lepiota]
    #3755388 - 02/09/05 09:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

go with cambodians, I've always liked them and the seem to do well in warmer weather when fruiting

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: try a new strain [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3755504 - 02/09/05 10:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'd also suggest Z's.

I'm sure you'll get a number of suggestions, I'm sure you know you cant tell much from others experiences, because you'll have different ones..but hopfully you'll get some ideas.

Z's were a nice yeilder and pinned easily in my always warm fruiting chamber. I could see Cambos doing well too (they did) but I wasnt impressed with the yield. Could have been my spores though, you never can tell.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Re: try a new strain [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3755705 - 02/09/05 11:18 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thank you, but i have to confess that i don't have an incubator, and i will incubate at room temp (65-70?F). it takes ages to reach full colonization but it worked in my first project (pf tek, will it be the same with grains?), so since i have no heating system i'm probably looking for a strain that performs well in the cold! and since i live in a hardiness 9 zone i will be facing the opposite problem (too hot/dry) while fruiting outdoor. in conclusion, i'm looking for a very "tolerant" strain!

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3755786 - 02/09/05 11:40 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Performing well in the heat speaks of fruiting, not colonizing. I dont think the strain will respond so differently from another just by cooler colonization temps. Either of the starins we mentioned may do that though since they are both fast colonizers IME. Brazls may be worth looking into as well...fastest colonizer Ive grown yet and easy pinning too. I ended up with a high abort count though. Plenty of mature shrooms..but just SO many pins that alot aborted and made it tough and time consuming to harvest the casing. Potency was also less then the others but this may change with you, you'll be giving them very different conditions then I was so you may not get the downfalls I did indoor on rye.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Re: try a new strain [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3755821 - 02/09/05 11:52 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thank you scat! but since the place i'm ordering from has no z's nor brazilians in stock i'll probably opt for cambodians (prisoner's advice). other options include f+, orissa, gt, huautla, gulf coast, australians and many other less known strains; what about those? vendors descriptions don't always match. maybe a "strain guide" in the shroomery faq would help, but i guess it would be too difficult (if not impossible) to write...

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #3755890 - 02/09/05 12:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

a cube, is a cube, is a cube. What grows well for me might be horrible for you.

Your syringe or print will have genetics that are formed under the conditions of the supplier's growing environment. If you are getting a "cultured" strain, that strain will probably respond well to the coniditions that were set up by the grower.

In the end, there are so many factors that decide what the outcome will be in your given environment that untill further (CONTROLLED) studies are done on p. cubensis, they will remain cubes with different names.

Imagine. Growing GT's and not being thrilled. Go to your friends house to see the same GT's...but the trip they gave you was SOOO much nicer...

Now what? Kind of takes the concern out of picking the "right" strain from a supplier.

Good luck homie

A cube is a cube...and those are just like cubes
'Doobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3755946 - 02/09/05 12:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lepiota said:
thank you scat! but since the place i'm ordering from has no z's nor brazilians in stock i'll probably opt for cambodians (prisoner's advice). other options include f+, orissa, gt, huautla, gulf coast, australians and many other less known strains; what about those? vendors descriptions don't always match. maybe a "strain guide" in the shroomery faq would help, but i guess it would be too difficult (if not impossible) to write...

Right, it would be impossible, doobie explained it well.

Good luck! If your going for big, think Orissa's too. Nice strain, fruited decently in the heat and colonized fairly quickly. They were pretty average when I grew them but some of the biggests cubies ever are Orissa's they say. Outdoors they may perform really well.

I think you'd be happy with whatever you go with, just make sure you get pictures and have some fun in this vunderful hobby.

--------------------

Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Re: try a new strain [Re: ADoobie]
    #3755971 - 02/09/05 12:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you're right, there are no scientific studies about different strains, moreover these studies would suffer from the method chosen (growing all strains under same parameters would advantage only some strains, growing all strains under THEIR OWN optimum parameters would make such a study useless). i know i'm asking a scientifically unanswerable question, but i was not looking for a scientific anwer, just an opinion about your own experiences and what you've read on this forum in the past. i think that there must be a reason if some strains are more popular than others, and i was asking what strains are more popular for grain culture, room temperature incubation and outdoor growimg on poo+straw.

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Offlineonetime
onetime
 User Gallery

#3755983 - 02/09/05 12:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

all cubes are easy mazatapecs are radical so are malabars and purto ricains

--------------------

See?
Yes, with my own three eyes.
Depression, Misspells , wanting everying thing i cant have haveing nothing i want

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3756009 - 02/09/05 12:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The cambodians are a great choice.
I really like them alot.

I'd also add the F+ to your choice.
The F+ produces very nice fruits...very meaty.

If you do a little searching you will find some descriptions to different strains.

The Gulf Coast is a good strain to compare to say the Cambodian for example.
You will notice that they are much different trip.

Good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: try a new strain [Re: onetime]
    #3756032 - 02/09/05 12:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Scatman's got some good advice there. I really like the Orissa's. Orissa India are my favorite strrain. They are not fast colonizers, but they are prolific fruiters and potent too. The fruit is nice and dense and of decent size. Later flushes produce monsters. First flush produces the best in terms of flush size but they are of average size. Many mutants on the first flush but it's not a problem except for visually and the strain straightens out from there on out.

Z strains are fast and fruit well, but the fruits are very light and hollow and don't produce well in terms of weight if that's what you're after. You get alot of mushrooms, but it takes a lot of mushrooms to equal the same weight as other strains. Also the potency was not quite what I was hoping for.

Cambos are extremely fast too. Fruits very very well IME. Potency though was very weak. Weakest from all the strains I've come across. I had the small fruiting cambo strain. The pic in my avatar is cambo.

F+ is a very good strain. Very fast and aggressive and very potent. Does very well on grain only. Produces nice meaty fruits dens fruits that give good weight, as does the Orissa.

I've had the pleasure of working with all those mentioned. My recommendation is to go with the F+, OI, or Z. The first two, F+ and OI, I strongly recommend.

--------------------

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: try a new strain [Re: KlingonFromUranus]
    #3756072 - 02/09/05 01:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

give Golden Teachers a shot

--------------------

InvisibleKlingonFromUranus
enthusiast

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: try a new strain [Re: SHiZNO]
    #3756774 - 02/09/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SHiZNO said:
give Golden Teachers a shot

Golden teachers are an excellent strain. Good potency and the fruits are nice and weighty. Doesn't fruit as prolifically as some other strains, but the fruits are meaty and weighty which is really the most important factor if going for wieght.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds