Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers.
    #3751696 - 02/08/05 04:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thought you guys might want to see this.
I knew it was only a matter of time...
http://orig.citizen-times.com/cache/article/news/38478.shtml

Prosecutor fighting meth using law that punishes terrorism

Related topics
Metropolitan Enforcement Group
Interact
Get breaking news & headlines by e-mail
Participate in our community forums
Newsroom
? Submit a News Tip
? Ethics Policy
? Write a Letter to the Editor
Tysons
By FROM STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
July 16, 2003 10:29 p.m.

BOONE - A Watauga County prosecutor is using a law intended to combat terrorism to fight the spread of methamphetamine laboratories in northwest North Carolina.

District Attorney Jerry Wilson has charged Martin Dwayne Miller, 24, of Todd with two counts of manufacturing a nuclear or chemical weapon in connection with a methamphetamine arrest Friday. Miller also is charged with eight other drug-related offenses.

He was being held in the Watauga County Jail under $505,000 bond.

"This is a two-edged sword," Wilson said. "Not only is the drug methamphetamine in itself a threat to both society and those using it, but the toxic compounds and deadly gases created as side products are also real threats."

In Buncombe County earlier this month, authorities found evidence of a drug lab at a Black Mountain motel.

State Bureau of Investigation agents searched a room at the Apple Blossom Motel on July 7. They found chemicals and glassware used to produce methamphetamines, according to a search warrant.

In May, officers charged a Swannanoa man with operating a meth lab in his bathroom. Paul Wilson, 38, faces four felony drug charges. The Metropolitan Enforcement Group, a local drug enforcement agency, conducted the investigation.

"We're getting our first shock of it here now," Lt. Scott Allen of the agency said of meth production in May.

The most serious drug charges related to methamphetamine carry much lighter sentences than the weapons of mass destruction law.

The law carries a sentence ranging from 12 years to life in prison on each count. Wilson said he decided to use it while researching ways to slow the advance of methamphetamine into the region.

The law reads, in part, that the term nuclear, biological or chemical weapon of mass destruction applies to "any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and ... is or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors."

The chemicals used to manufacture methamphetamine are toxic and highly combustible.

Officials with the N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts and the N.C. Attorney General's Office said they thought that the Watauga County charges are among the first filed under the weapons of mass destruction statutes.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3751733 - 02/08/05 04:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Coming from someone who has never seen or touched meth. I wonder first if the stuff is good for your brain then i wonder next if it were good why isn't it more widespread of a drug like cannabis.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: Droz]
    #3751759 - 02/08/05 04:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Not the point.
Nearly every clandestine chemistry lab falls under this interpertation of the Patriot Act.

It's not spectacularly good for you, and it's not more widespread because it requires more materials than water, soil, and sunlight.

I just thought that the bending of an anti-terrorism law to prosecute drug offenses (much like the case involving money laundering in a cannabis ring) would be of interest.

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3751773 - 02/08/05 04:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm no fan of meth, but that is absolutely ridiculous. Manufacture of a chemical stimulant that causes some pollution is not the same as manufacturing a chemical weapon with the intent to kill people.

Edited by RandalFlagg (02/08/05 04:48 PM)

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #3751778 - 02/08/05 04:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The law reads, in part, that the term nuclear, biological or chemical weapon of mass destruction applies to "any substance that is designed or has the capability to cause death or serious injury and ... is or contains toxic or poisonous chemicals or their immediate precursors."

Bloody hell that's seems to be stretching it a bit far, that could apply to quite a few household products. I hope there is more to the law than that.

InvisibleGreat_Satan
prophet of God
 User Gallery

#3751785 - 02/08/05 04:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hows those tube furnace experiments going, Randolph?

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3751793 - 02/08/05 04:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

RandallFlag: But they're trying to pull it.

Psilo: ONe would hope that the wording would establish some base amount, but from what i recall, it didn't.

Welcome to the New America.

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3751891 - 02/08/05 05:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Randolph Carter said:

Regardless of this being applied to meth labs, this is still a bit disturbing, Although I must say that I'm not too terribly suprised. I recall that when the so-called "Patriot Act" passed, this administration stated that this law wouldn't be abused. Yeah, right. :rolleyes: I've been waiting for the inevitable  - LEA's to abuse this law and apply it to US citizens who have nothing to do with terrorism....

Quote:

Welcome to the New America.

Indeed.... :frown:

Edited by Le_Canard (02/08/05 05:19 PM)

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3751934 - 02/08/05 05:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Can those accused of being meth producers now be stripped of their citizenship, held without formal charges and shipped out of the U.S. for 'processing?'

... oh, I know, just give it time and it will come to that.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineThef0rk
His Highness

Loc: Far, Far Away
Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3752149 - 02/08/05 06:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

LOL. There's no way this will stand up in court. Not a chance...

--------------------
"I ams what I ams and thats all that I ams."
--Popeye (The Sailor Man)

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: Thef0rk]
    #3752302 - 02/08/05 06:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'll betcha a dollar it does.

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: Thef0rk]
    #3753522 - 02/08/05 10:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

damn this article is old. I remember reading this over a year and a half ago. I'm sure the verdict has alreay been decided. I didn't keep up with it, but I'm going to guess that the patriot act did hold up.

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #3753678 - 02/08/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, that's ridiculous....and what's even more ridiculous is this; LSD is considered a chemical weapon.  :rolleyes: :nonono: This country is fucked, half of me wants to stay and fight, the other half wants to split while I still can.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #3753938 - 02/08/05 11:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Randolph Carter said:

"Not only is the drug methamphetamine in itself a threat to both society and those using it, but the toxic compounds and deadly gases created as side products are also real threats."

The most serious drug charges related to methamphetamine carry much lighter sentences than the weapons of mass destruction law.

The chemicals used to manufacture methamphetamine are toxic and highly combustible.

Officials with the N.C. Administrative Office of the Courts and the N.C. Attorney General's Office said they thought that the Watauga County charges are among the first filed under the weapons of mass destruction statutes.

Edited the topic to the relevant info regarding what i think.

Well... in way of how this law is being applied their is also so many other possible violations in way of chemical manufacturers. Such as oil derivitives, (gasolines, plastics), nuclear technology, et etal

Point is, they are just manipulating the law in the context they see fit. (By writing this, not suggesting nor promoting the use of meth, but really, it's so vague it's as applicable as the prosecutor in question sees fit.)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3754578 - 02/09/05 02:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Absolutely sickening.

Everyday its another step closer to Orwell's state.

Luckily my country has refused its own 'In House Arrest' policy because we recognise that it breaks human rights acts!

I can see in the future it will eventually get to the point where its literrally freedom groups (or terrorists) playing oneup-manship with the state.

I hope Russia, China and all that gang up & kick America's Nazi Arse before they dominate the world with thier brainwashing.

Keep speaking the truth people! Don't let the state terrorize you!

--------------------

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: Ego Death]
    #3754876 - 02/09/05 05:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Do you happen to have a source for this from the AP?

--------------------

Invisibleblacksabbathrulz
 User Gallery
Re: Patriot act used against Meth manufacturers. [Re: blacksabbathrulz]
    #3754879 - 02/09/05 05:11 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm failing to see how this involves the patriot act. The definition of WMD's has been around for a long time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom