Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejonas

Need a little help controlling temps in my TiT
    #3753821 - 02/09/05 01:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've got a little bit of a problem with my TiT. I was not fortunate enough to come across a fishtank heater with a thermostat, but rather one with a simple "+ or -" temperature control. Basically it allows you to make it hotter or cooler but you can only guess as to what temperature it'll heat up to. So that being said, I always have to check my TiT to make sure that the temps are in the optimal range, as I cannot be sure that it's set to 86. Usually it's between 82-86 but overnight sometimes the heat will build up in the TiT and go into the low 90's. I'll open the top and leave the cover a little off to the side so it covers about 90% of the top but leaves a little exposed to allow for heat to vent out. So I'm constantly playing with it to get the temperature under control, opening the top, raising/lowering the heat, covering with a blanket. I don't mind checking on it once a day to make sure temps are under control but I hate waking up and finding the TiT at 94 degrees. What do you guys suggest I do to keep temps optimal short of buying a heater with thermostat (I'm going to buy one soon, but I'm going to make due with this for now)?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineElahrairah
new-growth
Re: Need a little help controlling temps in my TiT [Re: jonas]
    #3753863 - 02/09/05 01:25 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

dont use blankets, and dont open it to cool it off. if it is too hot, turn down the dial and wait another few hours. if its too cold, turn up the dial and wait a few hours, eventually you will find the stable point where the heater puts in as much energy as leaks out through the sides of the tank.

this is called thermal equilibrium, and theres no reason it shouldnt be findable. it might take a week to find, so i hope youre not using the thing right now!

--------------------
All instances of FOAF in this post have been replaced by I and My for clarity of reading. No relation to the poster is meant or implied.

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3753869 - 02/09/05 01:25 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

maybe a timer would work?

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Offlinejonas

Re: Need a little help controlling temps in my TiT [Re: Damn_Skippy]
    #3753898 - 02/09/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well you see, the problem with this heater is that it's very tempermental. I don't know if its a defect with just this particular heater or if it's a design feature (more likely the latter because I have had an identical heater and it did the same thing). But yeah, what it does is ... it'll turn off every now and again if the gauge is turned too low and the temps that it works constantly in are probably above 86.

So what that really forces me to do is to work around the heater. Whatever it chooses to heat to, I've got to find a way to manage the heat, either by venting excess heat or by insulating it if it's not producing enough heat.

What I have considered lately is adding more water to the tub. I figure if I leave the heater at it's current setting, and add more water, it'd lower the temperature a bit. That way I could leave the cover on and not worry about it getting too hot. Do you think that'd work?

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3754923 - 02/09/05 07:39 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Made by Zoo Med. Turn up the heater all the way and let the soo med thing control the heater. Comes with a sensor that goes in with the jars and you can control it from outside.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinelargosnook
2 glassesicewaddawiddice
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gettin' Lucky in Kentucky
Re: Need a little help controlling temps in my TiT [Re: Magash]
    #3755128 - 02/09/05 09:46 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My fully submersible fishtank heater seems to do the same thing. A few times I have checked it and the temps were closer to 100 than 90. I can't figure out why this is happening but I just keep an eye on it and its been working. I too have to prop the lid just a bit to bent out the heat. Just keep it optimal and it will keep on working till you get what you want.

I don't see myself getting another heater anytime soon as this works as long as I keep up with it. My next purchase will be a larger Pressure Cooker. the little one I have is too small. 1 qt jar at a time! Rediculous!

--------------------
"I Love my Honey-Bunny!"

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Need a little help controlling temps in my TiT [Re: largosnook]
    #3755145 - 02/09/05 09:57 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It is not that it is tempermental, it is under-sized...

Durring the day it is warmer inside your house, so it doesn't turn on much. At night it may stay on nearly 100% because the temp drop makes it want to stay on longer. The room air is cooling as fast as the heater is heating.

Your dial needs to be a little more turned down. (Since you know your night temp is the more acurate "Settled" temprature, go by that.)

You don't need a constant 82F - 84F... you need an average or maximum of that temp range.

EG, Your heater needs to heat up to 100F to turn 60F into 80F at night. Your heater needs to heat up to 95F to turn 75F into 85F.

If you set your heater to be exactly 84F, then at night it will fall down to about 75F, while durring the day, when heat loss is less, it would maintain 82F.

Mark that temp point as 90F with some nail polish or white-out... Make a change, and wait until night again... Mark that temp as ???... That should give you a good idea as to where you are.

Just don't expect the same settings for spring and summer... (But they will be close.)

Once you stop opening and closing it, the temprature will settle down. That is what you want to go by. Good luck...

P.S. I also use that posted thermostat... Mine has two devices that can be plugged into it. I plug a 5W heat-pad which lays under my jars, on a cookie sheet, into one socket, and the other goes to a 10W coffee mug warmer which has an open jar filled with anti-bacterial soap water. (For a constant 50% RH in my incubation chamber with anti-bacterial power.)

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Edited by LaughingJim (02/09/05 10:03 AM)

Offlinejc_illenium
undesirable
Loc: earth
Re: Need a little help controlling temps in my TiT [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3755200 - 02/09/05 10:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ha ha! that's pretty clever jim. the antibacterial sounds helpful?..i don't no. what would i do?first of all id take back the fish tank heater. then there are lots of options.. they sell a elec. heater at walmart for 12 dollars with temperature control dial. bill would prolly be high though. i have a heating pad with towel folded in half and a pillow case over it(the pad has no cover). i set this under my aquarium box with a cat litter pan and jars in that. its pretty mush 84 degrees constant. i have a blanket i keep over top of it for light and to help maintain. i hate the unprofessionalism of it all.

--------------------
on my knees and burnin
my piss and moans the fuel that
set my head on fire
smell my soul its burnin

Offlinejonas

Re: Need a little help controlling temps in my TiT [Re: Magash]
    #3755478 - 02/09/05 12:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
Made by Zoo Med. Turn up the heater all the way and let the soo med thing control the heater. Comes with a sensor that goes in with the jars and you can control it from outside.

GREAT idea Magash! You know I actually had thought about getting a rheostat a while ago and completely forgot all about it. Thanks for showing me that, I'll definately have to pick one up. I assume they can be had at most pet stores, right?

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

#3755527 - 02/09/05 12:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've noticed the same thing about my TiT and fully submersible heater. Mine also just has the + and - on it, and it's also about 5 degrees hotter in the morning when I first check it than at any other time of the day. I think the main reason it's hotter when you first check it in the morning is because you haven't opened the lid/towel on it all night. That's about 8 hours of continous heat build-up. During the day, you probably check on it 3-4 times, and each time you open it up tons of heat gets out, so it's not allowed to build up like it does at night. Since mine was getting way too hot at night, I just turned it down a bit. Better to be 3 degrees cooler than I want it during the day than be 10 degrees warmer than I want it at night.

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

OfflineLLLenin
Stranger
    #3757148 - 02/09/05 06:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I've got the same problems with my crappy B&Q germinator! :P

My house gets hotter and colder throughout the day, and the temperature of my mushies varies quite alot.  The best thing I found is to open windows and whatever to secure a good average temperature.  Once you've got this, make sure there's plenty of water: good old H2O has a really high heat capacity, so it acts as a buffer against wild temperature changes.  The bigger the mass of water, the smaller the temperature variation.

Using this method I've got my cubies running at an almost-constant 25?1?C, which is pretty accurate I'd say!

Hope this helps! :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation