Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineacetch
Stranger
Welcome Shroomery
    #3752617 - 02/08/05 09:47 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Hello all,
This is my first post at the shroomery, although I have been reading all the back posts and TEKs for a little over a month now and even taking notes, I figured it?s time to introduce myself.

Tonight is exactly 5 days after inoculating my first BRF jars using the PF TEK. I inoculated 12 half pint jars - 6 EQ and 6 Cubansis Blue Meanies from SporesDirect.com. My original plan was to inoc 12 jars with the EQ strain but, as I have never used a syringe before except to squirt some medicine into the dog?s mouth when she was sick, I ended up accidentally putting between 2 - 2.5cc's in the first two jars. By the third jar I knew I wouldn?t have enough EQ for 12, so I decided to use the free syringe that came with the order. The free syringe had BM marked on it, from the site I figured it was the Blue Meanie strain and decided to have some fun and make six of each. This time it worked out much better and ended up putting around .25cc in each inoculation point or close to 1cc per jar.

My jars are incubating in a standard Rubbermaid container with a pickle jar/aquarium heater in the center and covered with a blanket. The temperature in the container fluctuates exactly between 80.4f to 84.0f during the night and day. I'm not sure exactly how temperature fluctuation effects mycelium growth, but I figure this is pretty good for now and im not going to bother with it. Next grow I will probably try to stabilize it closer to 84f.

I actually wasn't planning on checking the jars tonight, but it looks to be the only night this week I will be alone without the kid and family. I just took a quick look at all 12 jars 5 days after inoculation and all 12 jars show signs of mycelium growth at one or more injection points. Most of the growths in the Blue Meanie jars are about the size of a nickel and in the EQ jars it varies from the size of a nickel to the size of a quarter or a little bigger. One of the EQ jars has nice white mycelium cotton looking growth, but right behind that growth it looks like a really dark wet color on the substrate at the injection point. I think this is just one of the first jars I did and ended up injecting way too much and really saturated the substrate. I will check it again next week and post a pic if anything crazy happens.

I am really excited about the new hobby and would like to thank everyone here for the TONS of information available on the site.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblepinkfloydms
!!!!!
Male

Loc: City of Dreams
Re: Welcome Shroomery [Re: acetch]
    #3752641 - 02/08/05 09:55 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Good Luck man and Welcome. :smile:

--------------------
Muppet Said:

so yeah:
- 'sex' five times
- once with a man
- once with a cadaver
- and thrice with actual women(all of which were prostitutes)
Best story ever!

www.panicstream.com :thumbup:

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3752668 - 02/08/05 10:02 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Welcome to the site.
Sounds like you did your homework. :smile:

Regarding incubation temp:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3664420/an/0/page/0
Its a nearly totally overlooked fact that the mycelium produces heat while growing.
So think about possibly lowering the temp a tad?

Also, regarding temperature stabilization:
One of the local teks is to take a tub, fill it with water sufficient to cover a submersible fish tank heater (preferably with a thermostat delineated with temperature markings) and place another tub on top of that, proceeding to insulate with a blanket if necessary.  Solves the problem of "central heating"

There's tons of people here, so feel free to ask questions (altho, using the search engine and looking for the answers yourself is much appreciated :wink: )

Enjoy your stay!

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Welcome Shroomery [Re: Randolph_Carter]
    #3752680 - 02/08/05 10:05 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

welcome and good job.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlineacetch
Stranger
    #3753025 - 02/08/05 11:10 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the information Randolph. I remember I had read that the internal temperature of the jar is usually about 2 degrees higher then the ambient temperature of the air, which is why I was thinking about 84f would be a good place. Looks like according to that post, the temp. in the jar could be even higher then that. I'm thinking since there isn't much mycelium growth in the jars now, I should be fine and next week when I take another look I will back the temp. down two or three degrees. Plus I don?t want to get in there too much now and risk contams.

OfflineRandolph_Carter
НơĻ?ĢΉō

Loc: Shroomery B-list.
    #3753114 - 02/08/05 11:22 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

Yeah, it's more of a tweaking issue than a dealbreaker, but as you've probably read, attention to detail is key. :thumbup:

--------------------
"..all those molecules thrashing their kinky little tails, hot for destiny and the street."  Gibson

Nuke baby seals for Jesus!

(This has been a +1 production.)

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!
 Arcade Champion: Poker

#3753329 - 02/08/05 11:48 PM (12 years, 21 days ago)

welcome, good luck and 5 for the reading you've done :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation