Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Black mold
    #3752409 - 02/08/05 08:54 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

(this is a double post, I wasn't getting any replies on the contam forum)
Two of my jars have turned up with black mold in the last couple days. I'm not too worried about it, from what I hear a couple contaminated jars is nothing to worry about. I'm about three weeks into my grow, and they're just now showing up, which brings me to my theory. I don't think the mold was a result of bad sterilization or a bad syringe. In both jars, the mold showed up just underneath the top dry verm layer, right on top of the substrate. What I think happened was the bad spores that were on top of the dry verm layer (the ones that fall through the needleholes while incubating) managed to slip through the dry verm as the jars were handled and the dry verm was disturbed. Does this sound right?

--------------------
Excerpt from one of my textbooks:
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.
I wonder if that would make more sense if I was tripping when I read it.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Black mold [Re: Fungus_Farmer]
    #3752418 - 02/08/05 08:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It's possible but not very likely, unless your verm layer was wafer thin. I've never seen anything get through my verm layers, and they weren't more then 1/2" thick.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Black mold [Re: Holydiver]
    #3754400 - 02/09/05 03:21 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Should I have packed the dry verm layer tighter so it wouldn't have so much room to be shuffled around? I just leveled it with the top of the jar and put the lid on, and when I turn the jars I can hear it sliding around.

--------------------
Therefore, between a then and its matching else, there cannot be an if statement without an else. Statements must be distinguished between those that are matched and those that are unmatched, where unmatched statements are else-less ifs and all other statements are matched.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3754489 - 02/09/05 03:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Youd have to be carful,, you dont want to pack down the substrate so you couldnt really PACK down the dry verm layer..I think if its filled to the top its cool. Theres probably very little verm moving just against the lid..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
    #3754490 - 02/09/05 03:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

What type of vermiculite did you use? I am in the process of my first casing (three weeks) and I used perlite/BRF mixture to create my substrate...I just started another casing about a week ago this time making my substrate with vermiculite/BRF; however, the vermiculite I used seems to be the wrong type (I heard powdery vermiculite is bad, are they supposed to have big grains?) - I guess I'll find out when my experiment is done.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.
 Arcade Champion: Asteroids 2000

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Black mold [Re: Raspo]
    #3754625 - 02/09/05 04:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

perlite will dry out before the jar finishes... or at least it did for me. i had a tyvek top and decided to try it... it grew just fine, but dried out after it got about halfway done... and that was without incubation.

no way to tell how you got contammed, but you did... so throw those babies out and start some more!

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Black mold [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3754783 - 02/09/05 05:51 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My thoughts are that the dry verm is the culprit. I don't like that method, although at times I still use it.

I know it is nutrient free, but it is high in minerals. I have had mycelium grow right up through my dry verm layer that is almost an inch thick. (I am sure it was seeking moisture, minerals, and O2.)

Black mold... (In my ventures, I still have not come across black mold.)

The closest thing I have seen to black mold is when cobweb turns black after it dies from dropping spores, or when it dries out. The stuff in bathrooms that is black is dangerous.

Did you do these jars in your bathroom? (Common TEK that I don't like, since bathrooms have the highest spore count in the entire household, besides some basements.)

I have gotten many molds from the verm itself. I now soak it overnight, then add it to my jars. It is going to get wet from the PC process any-way. Steam penetrates the dry-verm. I just add a slight bit less water to my mix.

Being hydrated prior to PCing will allow the super-dehydrated spores to be destroyed. Vermeculite may have been sitting on the shelves for years. It is not exactly a fast moving product, just cheap.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: Black mold [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3754798 - 02/09/05 05:56 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if its black throw it back

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #3754909 - 02/09/05 07:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Careful with black mold. In most parts of the country if it is found growing in the walls of a house it is condemned and torn down. Very dangerous stuff.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Black mold [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3755419 - 02/09/05 12:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

LaughingJim said:
Black mold... (In my ventures, I still have not come across black mold.)

The closest thing I have seen to black mold is when cobweb turns black after it dies from dropping spores, or when it dries out.

Theres some nice black pin head mold. You want some? I'll send you a nice package full of black mold spores..you can just bring it in your grow chamber and open the box and POOF..you'll see lots of it after that :smile:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Edited by scatmanrav (02/09/05 12:36 PM)

OfflineFungus_Farmer
Stranger

Re: Black mold [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3755462 - 02/09/05 12:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I've already thrown those jars out without thinking twice. I was just wondering how they got contaminated to begin with, since the mold didn't show up for three weeks after inoculation, and it only showed up right near the top. Seems it just fell through the vermiculite, and that's all I really wanted to know.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation