Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsiliPSIENTIST
Closet Chemist

Loc: watching you
Small-scale irrigation for growth chambers(EASY!)
    #3750844 - 02/08/05 02:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

A great idea I had a few weeks ago while bored out of my mind in my history class.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA
Re: Small-scale irrigation for growth chambers(EASY!) [Re: PsiliPSIENTIST]
    #3751653 - 02/08/05 06:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

woof get a humidifer from ebay liquidation for $18 shipped you cheap ass.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflinePsiliPSIENTIST
Closet Chemist

Re: Small-scale irrigation for growth chambers(EASY!) [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3752553 - 02/08/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This cost about 7 dollars and took 30 minutes. I kept having problems of excess humidity with humidifiers. This kept a constant humidity for longer with only one refill through the entire fruiting period.

OfflineLaughingJim
Anti-Toxin
 User Gallery

Loc: USA, ( CT )
Re: Small-scale irrigation for growth chambers(EASY!) [Re: PsiliPSIENTIST]
    #3752699 - 02/08/05 10:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You could simplify that by just using a small soda bottle filled with water. Put the bottle in there upside-down, so the mouth is inside the pearlite layer. As the water evaporates, more water gets added. Similar to a water cooler.

Tell me that you have that fan on a 15 minute timer, going on only four times a day...

More than that is a waste of power, will dry out your chamber, and will only introduce contamination. (99.98% is only efficiency, at 3-100 microns, a lot of contamination is smaller than that. If contamination is growing on your hepa, the spores will develop on the other side, and the fan will be dusting those spores all over your cases/cakes.)

If you use that same hepa filter at a low volume of air flow, and the filter has anti-microbal coating, then all is well. You will have 100% efficiency down to 0.1 micron. That is the secret to the "Other" hepa filters, they are the same filter with up to four times the surface area. Thus, less air per. square inch is traveling through the filter, and at 1/4 the speed.

You still may be better off with a PMP "Poor Mans Pod" setup. With the small air-pump in a box that has a hepa filter on it. Don't forget, these things normally get opened and fanned with room air. It is rather hard to contaminate a developed cake/case. (I am not talking about contamination that is already there, growing from the inside-out, which is what most people get.)

That is just my 2-Cents.

--------------------
Don't forget to RATE us if you think we are offering GOOD or BAD advice, Thank-you!

I participate in the PROTEIN FOLDING PROGRAM helping the shroomery to help others,
FOLDING.STANFORD.EDU
I support www.shroomery.org (Team # 12679)

OfflinePsiliPSIENTIST
Closet Chemist

Re: Small-scale irrigation for growth chambers(EASY!) [Re: LaughingJim]
    #3753989 - 02/09/05 01:43 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My fan comes on between 3-4 times a day, just depending on the ambient temp, and stays on for about 3 minutes. The HEPAs I have mentioned on the packaging have anti-microbial coating and are about 1" thick. I have 3 chambers on a shelf above a small space heater. The heater is set at 80 degrees but my closet has a lot of air convection due to the lack of insulation above the attic door(stupid design, but proves useful here) which lowers the temp to around 60 degrees when the heater is off. The chambers rarely climb above 75 which is when the fans come on. They pull in some of the cooler air from my attic which lowers the temp down in the low 70s quickly, and they do a sufficient job providing circulation. I tested this by putting some baby powder in the bottom of an empty chamber, slightly misted the sides, and turned on the fan. The powder dusted all sides of the chamber. The reason I loved this idea is because I'm gone a lot, and having tested it, I know i can leave it unnattended for several days at a time without worrying about low humidity levels or heating issues. Once I was gone for a week and 1/2 and when I returned the humidity had only decreased by 2%. And I havent had any contaminates set in during later flushes since I added the reservoir thingy as opposed to the fanning and misting manually, so I guess, if the success continues, I will be able to suggest that it may add a flush or two to the harvest?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: HEPA Filter, Scales, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation