Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds
    #3749437 - 02/08/05 01:35 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

(Talk about an alarming headline. I didn't make it up), the story is available here

Cape Times
Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds
February 8, 2005

Washington: Marijuana users have faster blood flow in their brains, even after a month of not smoking, US researchers have reported.

The findings suggest they have narrowed arteries, similar to patients with high blood pressure and dementia, and could help explain reports that heavy marijuana users have trouble with memory tests, say researchers Ronald Herning and Jean Lud Cadet at the National Institute on Drug Abuse in Baltimore.

They tested 54 marijuana users, who smoked anywhere between two and 350 joints a week, and 18 non-smokers.

They used Doppler sonograms to measure blood flow in volunteers' brains at the beginning of the study and after a month in which everyone abstained.

The smokers had faster blood flow at the start and after a month of abstinence, Herning and Cadet reported in the journal Neurology.

The smokers also had a higher pulsatility index score, or PI, a measure of resistance to blood flow. The researchers believe the higher PI is caused by narrower blood vessels.

"The marijuana users had PI values that were somewhat higher than those of people with chronic high blood pressure and diabetes," Herning said.

"However, their values were lower than those of people with dementia. This suggests that marijuana use leads to abnormalities in the small blood vessels in the brain."

The researchers found that blood flow improved in people who smoked up to 70 marijuana cigarettes a week - people they defined as moderate users - after a month of avoiding cannabis. Heavy users, who smoked up to 350 joints a week, saw no change in blood flow even after a month.

Researchers at Montreal's McGill University have reported that chronic consumers of cannabis lose molecules called CB1 receptors in the brain's arteries. This reduces blood flow to the brain, causing attention deficits, memory loss, and impaired learning ability. - Reuters

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: veggie]
    #3749498 - 02/08/05 01:50 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
up to 350 joints a week

jeebus, I haven't smoked that much in my whole life...

--------------------

Edited by ivi (02/08/05 03:44 AM)

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: ivi]
    #3749774 - 02/08/05 03:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

two and 350 joints a week

:eek:
how the hell can someone smoke 50 joints a day?!?
I hope for that person that they 'accidentally' planted the zero there :smirk:

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: stefan]
    #3750099 - 02/08/05 07:33 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

They ran this story on CNN last night. It smells like propaganda to me!

Quote:

They tested 54 marijuana users, who smoked anywhere between two and 350 joints a week, and 18 non-smokers.

#1) Study group was 72 people. This is a small group!

#2) 350 joints a week is the same as a 2 and 1/2 pack a day cigarette smoker.

#3) I find it funny that the first place this story ran was the "Cape Times" in Capetown South Africa.

#4) I find it interesting that there is no press release about this at the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Which is where the story clams to be from.

#5) The National Institute on Drug Abuse is a government agency which raises red flags in my book.

#6) It seems to be a well timed article, With the largest state in the lower 48 (Texas) considering a medical marijuana bill.

OfflineSidiHidi
inactive
    #3750173 - 02/08/05 08:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The devil weed clearly has those users already hooked at 350 joints a week.

When will they just let it go?

--------------------
R.I.P. Hunter, you will certainly be missed

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: SidiHidi]
    #3750701 - 02/08/05 11:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think its propaganda, but even if it true, the pot heads blood pressure didnt go down because they were still fucking smoking it most likely. I mean what are they going to do drug test them when they knew they were smoking already? If i was in that study i would have kept smoking, theres no way they could tell. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: blaze2]
    #3752076 - 02/08/05 05:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm too high from my chronic cannabis use to forumulate a proper response but those people don't know shit!

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
    #3752078 - 02/08/05 05:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i just went to the doctor the other day, and for the first time in my life i had high blood pressure. and since in the past month or so ive been smoking way more i attributed to the smoking. (and lack of excercise) so there might be some truth to this.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: guri]
    #3752950 - 02/08/05 08:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well smoking anything increases blood pressure but if your the average healthy person otherwise its not a problem.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3754882 - 02/09/05 05:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> They tested 54 marijuana users, who smoked anywhere between two and 350 joints a week, and 18 non-smokers.

Very difficult, it not impossible, to pull anything meaningful out of such a small, and scewed sample.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAuroricDistortions
~~~~~~~
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Polar Springs
Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: Seuss]
    #3755422 - 02/09/05 10:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

They didn't isolate the Cannabis as being the problem, IMO. Eating, Vaporizing, and Smoking Cannabis need to be examined individually. I'd venture to say that the smoking its self affected this study.

--------------------

OfflineWONKA
I think i tooktoo much
 User Gallery

Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: AuroricDistortions]
    #3764220 - 02/10/05 09:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

carbon monoxide could of been the factor.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Chronic cannabis users in danger of losing their minds [Re: Cyber]
    #3765309 - 02/11/05 02:18 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cyber said:
They ran this story on CNN last night. It smells like propaganda to me!

Quote:

#1) Study group was 72 people. This is a small group!

#2) 350 joints a week is the same as a 2 and 1/2 pack a day cigarette smoker.

#3) I find it funny that the first place this story ran was the "Cape Times" in Capetown South Africa.

#4) I find it interesting that there is no press release about this at the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Which is where the story clams to be from.

#5) The National Institute on Drug Abuse is a government agency which raises red flags in my book.

#6) It seems to be a well timed article, With the largest state in the lower 48 (Texas) considering a medical marijuana bill.

I agree with all you said and I hope you don't mind, but I quoted you elsewhere :smile:

...  except for #3 - reuters ran it first, cape times sourced it

--------------------
delta9

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #3770527 - 02/12/05 10:14 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

inhaling smoke causes veins to get smaller. This is why people who smoke cigarettes get headaches. I'm pretty sure thats been known for quite some time. This article seems real bogus to me.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3777258 - 02/14/05 02:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hahahaha WTF!? 50 joints a fucking day for a week.. who the fuck does that!?

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleveggieM

#3788091 - 02/16/05 03:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

from The Globe and Mail Feb.15, 2005

"Shocking that smoking 350 joints a week is not healthy. Beware: 140 cups of coffee in one hour will deliver a lethal dose of caffeine. Eating 10 raw potatoes may kill you. How can such a study on pot be used to justify cannabis prohibition? Thanks for the chuckle"

I couldn't have said it better myself:

Edited by veggie (02/16/05 01:13 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom