Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Fruiting in a cold room
    #3746127 - 02/07/05 05:33 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I posted something about this in my "Heating a Martha" post. I live in a small upstairs apartment and there isn't room to set up a large fruiting chamber in the apartment unless I put it in the living room which has obvious disadvantages. I am forced to fruit in my attic, which is near freezing at this time of year, and may drop below freezing on some nights.

My original plan was to try and heat/insulate a Martha to fruit in. I am still debating this, but was wondering what large fruiting chamber set ups are out there that can be heated and insulated well. Someone mentioned the double tub tek in my other thread. I can't see the tek for another week or so until I get access to the other forums. I would appreciate if someone could copy it and PM it to me.

But anyway, heating the fruiting chamber is my biggest problem right now. I have thought about getting a broken refrigerator or freezer and trying to use that, but I don't think I will be able to get one into my attic, also worried about the weight. I have thought about making tub in tub incubators and using them as fruiting chambers but then I come into the problem of air exchange and keeping the humidity steady. If I did use a TiT setup I would have to automate the air exchange and humidity which I can do easily, except for the fact I will have to have multiple fruiting chambers since they are limited on size and buying that many humidifiers will get expensive. Another problem I have thought about is that the incoming air will be very cold, meaning I would have to heat the air before it entered the fruiting chamber.

Anyway, I have a few ideas, was wondering if there are any existing solutions.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruiting in a cold room [Re: Smushroom]
    #3746280 - 02/07/05 06:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like the TiT is your best choice. Humidity can be maintained with a daily misting. Air exchange could be done 1-2 a day when you go up there to mist, and also holes with poly fill would help tremendously with your air exchange. (or lack of)

So that's my advice: TiT, spray the walls for humidity, poly fill holes, and of course aquarium heater will maintain temps. Get this combo down right and you'll be amazed at the results.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: Fruiting in a cold room [Re: Holydiver]
    #3746371 - 02/07/05 06:19 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

TiT = Tub in Tub = Incubator! :laugh:

Ow now I read again and understand what you guys are saying... :grin:

Smushroom, what ARE the temps? You say it is cold, exact temps please?
A PMP could also be used. With a fishtankheater in the water between geolite.
In any case you will need fresh air exchange no matter what setup you choose.

MF

--------------------

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Fruiting in a cold room [Re: Holydiver]
    #3746372 - 02/07/05 06:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I thought about just misting, but when I take the lid off the casing will be hit with a blast of near freezing air. I am not sure how much it would affect the colonized substrate though. Could it possibly cold shock it before the casing is fully colonized? Also opening the lid will drop the temp to 45-50 degrees for a while, I say 30-45 min before it would heat back up to 75ish. I would imagine the substrate will still stay in the 70+ range but I don't know how much the air temp would affect it.

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
    #3746427 - 02/07/05 06:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

The past 4-5 days the temp outside has been 40-55 during the day, dropping to 30-35 of a night. The temp inside the attic has been 45-60 during the day, 40-45 when I have taken it of a night. A week ago the temp was 30-35 during the day and sub 20 of a night. I didn't get a chance to take the temp in the attic when it was that cold. We have had a warm spell and the temp will be dropping next week. So, I would imagine the attic temp will fluctuate between 30 and 60 degrees over the next month when they would be growing.

Yeah, if I used a TiT for a fruiting chamber I would put a light in/on the lid and just set casing in it, not using it for casing.

Offlinejonas

#3746428 - 02/07/05 06:30 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Just get a space heater with themostat on it. Set it to 75ish for fruiting and you'll be straight.

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
Re: Fruiting in a cold room [Re: jonas]
    #3748216 - 02/07/05 11:59 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I am not sure if a space heater will keep the entire attic warm enough though, unless I get a huge one.

I am going to look into setting up a PMP with a heater. I am going to put blankets around the outside of the PMP to help insulate it and keep the cold air from hitting the outsides, may cause massive condensation.

Do I need to insulate the top? If the humidity is 90%+ and the temp is 70-75, would the 40 degree air hitting the top cause too much condensation? Should I worry about the condensation dripping on the cakes? Possible make a small drip shield just in case?

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
    #3748305 - 02/08/05 12:13 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I have a few ideas, none may work but here goes;

1) Heat bombs. Aquarium heaters are cheap as hell, and we can all get 2-liter soda bottles. Hell use a one gallon milk jug. Basically you are filling it with water then dropping an aquarium heater in the top.

I think if you go to wal-mart you can pick up like a 100gal rubbermaid for $8. Get three cheap heaters, three milk jugs. Set them spaced through the container, throw geolite and an airwand in the bottom for air exchange + humidification.

for more info, read up on: PMP (Poor man's pod), Heat Bombs

Or, I forget who to give credit to for this one:

Get two of those 100gal containers. Make a TIT (Tub in Tub). For the inside container, drill holes on each side for large tubing to go through. bead seal with silicone glue. Instead of just a heater in the botttom bin, put an air pump with a few outputs to circulate water. This will push warm water through the "pipes" and disperse the heat through the whole incubator.

You can always make the internal tub a PMP (poor man's pod) and STILL add the heat bombs if you feel you need them..

Just a thought or two. I'm drunk and no time for spell check so sorry about typos.

Peace
'Doobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Edited by ADoobie (02/08/05 12:14 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation