Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Stone, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSEN_DF_26
Stranger
Help Needed
    #3744300 - 02/07/05 07:16 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

I'm trying to put together a set of terrariums as cost effectively as possible. There are a few things I require though, those being a decent capacity, automated humidification, and a rigid setup. There?s one exception though, the capacity. While I want my terrariums to hold 8+ casings height is an issue. Being able to stack the terrariums would be best as well. To achieve all of these things I've put together a plan, however I'm not to sure of how it will work out practically [I am lacking in experience] so I would like some suggestions on what to do or how to improve my system.

Here is what I plan on using for the terrariums. Now, It's not these containers exactly just similar 'underbed' containers [no wheels on mine]. I chose this for the terrarium because it's low, but will allow me to have several casings at the same time. You'll notice the specs list the height at 6", now I think the ones I plan on getting are 8" [2 for $15.99 at Sam's] but lets assume they are 6" just to be safe. Obviously this is an issue, but how much of one? Lets say the casings come up 2" from the bottom of the containers, that leaves me with 4" for mushroom growth, which as I see it isn't a lot. I have grown mushrooms once before but I can't remember exactly how high they all went. This is probably the biggest area I could use suggestions in, would 4" be adequate? Naturally the mushrooms should simply bend if they need a bit of extra space to grow but I?m worried this will affect the growth, also this may cause the mushrooms to come in contact with condensation formed on the top of the terrarium. Oh, I forgot to add, I plan on installing a 5/8" hose barb near the top of each terrarium to which I can connect a length of 5/8" hose that runs to a humidifier.

When it comes to humidification I was thinking of using this [Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier V400]. My plan was to follow ShroomGod's humidification tek, only a little differently. Instead of gluing on a garden hose, I planned on connecting a 5/8" brass hose barb to which I could connect a length of 5/8" clear tubing.

Now I've heard its not to uncommon to have problems with over humidification, but I'm not sure if this little humidifier will be able to run both terrariums [in which case I'd buy another one]. Now, assuming I need two humidifiers [hopefully not] I will obviously need to regulate the amount of humid air I send into the terrarium as I'm sure one humidifier per terrarium will be too much. For this I've come up with a regulator [which can also be used if one humidifier happens to over saturate both terrariums].

The regulator is very simple. It consists of a 5/8" hose barb connected to each end of a 5/8" nipple with a third connector [don't know what this thing would be called, but I've seen it at Home-Depot, so no worries about getting it]. The third connector should have a valve attached to it, and that?s about it. You connect the humidifier to one end of the regulator and the terrarium to the other. To regulate the humidification you simply open the valve as little or as much as you need. This will allow some of the humid air to escape on its way to the terrarium.

Here's an image I made up:

So, with all this in mind what do you think of my plan? Should I seek out new terrariums? New humidification or regulation? Any comments would be great. Also, I have one silly question, when a humidifier dries out does it become a fire hazard? I don't know why it would, but I'm just a paranoid fucker and would rather not burn down my house for some mushrooms. As far as I know it risks breaking if dried out but is there any hazard beyond that?

Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSEN_DF_26
Stranger
Re: Help Needed [Re: SEN_DF_26]
    #3744335 - 02/07/05 07:49 AM (12 years, 17 days ago)

Oh, and I've also thought of using air stones for humidification. Basically I would sacrafice one casing space in each terrarium and have a pan sitting there with water and hydrogen peroxide, with two long air stones. The only problem I have with this is I'm not sure of how humid it will make the terrarium, and I'd rather not have to run the pump on a timer.

Does the air stone method tend to make a terrarium too humid, and/or does it have problems with reaching the desired humidity?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Stone, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation