Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda
    #3737902 - 02/05/05 10:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Souder Says Drug Czar?s Fake News Didn?t Break Law
Posted by CN Staff on February 05, 2005 at 06:48:22 PT
By Sylvia A. Smith, Washington Editor
Source: Journal Gazette

justice Washington -- The drug czar?s office didn?t break a federal law with its packaged anti-drug news stories that were narrated by fake journalists, Rep. Mark Souder, R-3rd, said Friday. But the video news releases sent to hundreds of TV stations in the past three years should have made clear that they were produced at taxpayer expense, he said.

Souder, who chairs a subcommittee that oversees national anti-drug programs, said the General Accountability Office was wrong when it ruled that the Office of National Drug Control Policy violated the law by sending the pre-packaged news stories to TV stations without disclosing to viewers that the government had produced them.

The GAO, the investigative arm of Congress, said the anti-drug video news releases were ?covert propaganda? and violated a ban against publicity and propaganda.

The video releases ?are complete, audio-video presentations that ONDCP designed for broadcast by television news organizations as news reports, without the need for any production effort by the news organization,? the GAO said.

In its report, the GAO quoted the drug policy office?s top lawyer as saying that the video clips ?are produced in the same manner as if produced by a television news organization. Many television news organizations are willing to use (prepackaged news stories) since they help broadcasters reduce the cost of gathering and producing news.?

The Bush administration has gotten a black eye lately because of payments it made to journalists and commentators to promote various social programs. The journalists wrote commentaries in support of the programs without disclosing that they were on the government payroll.

Souder said the video news releases are a different matter, however, because the TV stations were told that the government wrote, produced and distributed the material. In the case of journalists who accepted government money and then wrote about government programs in glowing terms, the relationship was not disclosed, he said.

One of the video news releases issued by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, for instance, was about teen driving and marijuana use. Its narrator identified himself as ?this is Mike Morris reporting.? The GAO reviewed five other video news releases and said that although they were mailed to TV stations clearly marked as coming from the drug czar?s office, the news clips themselves did not tell viewers who produced the reports.

Souder said TV stations that aired them could have disclosed the origin of the segments but chose not to.

The drug czar is under orders from Congress to develop media campaigns to help prevent and reduce drug abuse among young people. Among them is a series of commercials with the theme ?parents, the anti-drug.?

In a letter, Souder and Rep. Tom Davis, R-Va., chairman of the committee, asked the GAO to withdraw its ruling and reconsider the law: ?GAO?s analysis in this case is fundamentally flawed because it is inconsistent with ONDCP?s express authorization to conduct a media campaign ? and does not distinguish between deliberate concealment of the source by the government from the news media and subsequent concealment of the source from the public by the news media.?

They said TV stations? use of the video clips might violate journalistic standards, but it?s not illegal for the drug czar to make and distribute them.

The drug policy office sent the clips to 770 stations; 300 used the reports, which were seen by 22 million households, the agency said.

Jennifer deVallance, press secretary for the drug czar?s office, said the video news releases date back to the Clinton years. She said the office stopped issuing them in May when the GAO raised concerns about another federal agency?s similar releases. ?We didn?t want any distraction? from the anti-drug campaign, she said. ?It just wasn?t worth it.?

The six video clips produced in 2002, 2003 and 2004 cost $154,398, a fraction of the agency?s $154 million annual budget for an anti-drug media campaign.

In their letter, Souder and Davis said if TV stations didn?t want to use the clips, they didn?t have to, and that they could have identified the material as coming from the federal government.

The drug control policy office ?does not control the ultimate content of a television news broadcast. The news organizations do,? the two lawmakers wrote. ?The GAO opinion suggests that media outlets are passive conduits for any information anyone submits to them. Those of us in Congress who work with the media to ensure the public understands the work of the Congress know otherwise.?
http://www.cannabisnews.com/news/thread20197.shtml

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda [Re: Ravus]
    #3737936 - 02/05/05 10:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Awesome. They get permission now to do what they've been doing for the past 30-40 years. Emigrating sounds better and better every week.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3737948 - 02/05/05 10:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Poor guy must be rolling in his grave right now.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3737998 - 02/05/05 10:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure how I feel on this. On the one hand, the government does need to protect us, but on the other, TV sucks.

I think it's OK in the end, as they do have good intentions and studies to back their actions.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda [Re: Silversoul]
    #3738183 - 02/05/05 10:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Why the hell do the people in power insist upon using propaganda, sensationalism, and misinformation in describing drugs and their effects? We need pure science to dissect each substance and weigh the benefits and cons of each substance. The government should disseminate this information willingly and without bias.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3738219 - 02/05/05 10:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
The government should disseminate this information willingly and without bias.

I think government's role should be to govern, not inform.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3738288 - 02/05/05 11:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

True. But, if they are going to do studies and tell the public stuff(as they do now), it should be valid, scientific, and unbiased information.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3738299 - 02/05/05 11:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

True. But, if they are going to do studies and tell the public stuff(as they do now), it should be valid, scientific, and unbiased information.

HA! That's like asking a lion to go vegan.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #3740865 - 02/06/05 01:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

True.  But, if they are going to do studies and tell the public stuff(as they do now), it should be valid, scientific, and unbiased information.

HA!  That's like asking a lion to go vegan.

lol  :thumbup:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3740883 - 02/06/05 01:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Next its going to be: Government gets OK to assassinate dissidents. It's not like the lack of a mandate has stopped them in the past...

--------------------

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #3741706 - 02/06/05 05:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
I think it's OK in the end, as they do have good intentions and studies to back their actions.

No personal dissrespect ravus :heart:

The majority of Nazi Germany thought Hitler had good intention.

Of course, Bush is just a puppet for some shady individuals who really control whats going on.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda [Re: Ego Death]
    #3744241 - 02/07/05 04:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> On the one hand, the government does need to protect us

I agree, the government needs to protect us... BUT I DO NOT NEED PROTECTION FROM MYSELF! If I want to drink battery acid and chop my dick off, so be it. I don't need anybody telling me what I can or cannot do with my body, especially not some holier-than-though red-tape-loving overpaid two-faced politician.

> I think it's OK in the end, as they do have good intentions and studies to back their actions.

Good intentions is a matter of perspective. Unfortuantely, their studies are biased to support their 'good intentions'.

It boils down to: The government should not lie to the people it represents. If a government does lie to the people, then the government is no longer working for the people. If the government is no longer working for the people, then the people have a right to change their government to something that does work for them.

And some food for thought... if the dangers of drug use are so real, then why does the government need to lie about how bad they are? Good intentions my ass.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Government Gets OK To Distribute Propaganda [Re: Ego Death]
    #3744242 - 02/07/05 04:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

> On the one hand, the government does need to protect us

I agree, the government needs to protect us... BUT I DO NOT NEED PROTECTION FROM MYSELF! If I want to drink battery acid and chop my dick off, so be it. I don't need anybody telling me what I can or cannot do with my body, especially not some holier-than-though red-tape-loving overpaid two-faced politician.

> I think it's OK in the end, as they do have good intentions and studies to back their actions.

Good intentions is a matter of perspective. Unfortuantely, their studies are biased to support their 'good intentions'.

It boils down to: The government should not lie to the people it represents. If a government does lie to the people, then the government is no longer working for the people. If the government is no longer working for the people, then the people have a right to change their government to something that does work for them.

And some food for thought... if the dangers of drug use are so real, then why does the government need to lie about how bad they are? Good intentions my ass.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order