Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....?
    #3739593 - 02/06/05 04:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The Ten Commandments, based on Deception....?

I don't mean to offend anybody's belief in religion....  I have questions, and I seek answers....  No matter how "bold" those questions are....

The 10 Commandments....

It is a powerful term in itself....  Commandments....  It would suggest that you have no choice, as you are being COMMANDED - but in a life "based" on choice....??? 

If life is based on choice, and "free will", shouldn't it be called "The 10 Suggestions"...? 
And why 10....?  It CAN be narrowed down to 3 within the terms of the Ten Commandments themselves.... 

http://www.bibletexts.com/terms/10commandments-texts.htm
The 10 Commandments....
1. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

5. Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long.

6. Thou shalt not kill.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.

1, 2, 3, 4, & 5,  All have to do with RESPECT, and "pecking order" - placing YOU on the bottom of that "order".... 

6,  Don't kill, easy enough....  (But, even Moses killed....???)

7, 8, 9, 10,  Can all be summed up with "Thou shalt not LIE"....

Soooo, in summary: 
Respect God, your elders and "Sunday", don't kill, and don't lie.... 

So why all of the clutter...??? 
And how would "Respect your Elders" fit in with the crack whore moms in today's society...?    Hey, it is reality....

And more importantly,
Why in God's name (*AHHHEM*) would God set forth a set of "rules" thru a MAN that is to break one of those very important rules - WITH THE POWERS OF GOD....?  On a mass scale even....  God GAVE Moses the power to part the Red Sea, and gave Moses the power NOT to kill those in the army that followed, but he chose to anyway...?    Weather you wanna~ argue the fact that Moses OR God killed that army with the "power", does it not seem to counterdict the whole set of rules (COMMANDMENTS) that both of them "conspired" to bring to man thru devine intervention -(and for us to blindly follow)....?    So, who's "WILL" was it, and who had the "intentions"....? 

If it was the "WILL" of God for Moses to NOT kill the army, wouldn't GOD have given Moses and his people the ability to peacefully WALK ON THE WATER, and not give that "POWER" to the army chasing them...???  Either way, the POWER given to man(Moses) was to KILL or HARM, and SURVIVE....  The intensions seem to be pretty clear....  This doesn't sound like a God of Love...?

So, "The 10 Commandments" are the rules of "God"...?  Set forth by a hypocrite that knowingly and acceptably, breaks the rules himself....  Now that is irony.... 

Or, it IS OK to kill - IF it is for GOD, or GOOD....?  I musta~ missed that commandment....??

What is deception....?    And what is "truth"....?   

Am I going to hell for questioning GOD...?

I seek truth and spiritual "enlightenment", and all I keep finding are holes.....  :frown:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3739693 - 02/06/05 05:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

nice observation,i get the notion that the god that created us isn't the best god in existence to serve.

I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

i get the notion that there are other gods that wouldn't demand worship like ours does.who wants to worship a god forever.that makes me feel like I'm a slave.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: Cosm]
    #3739735 - 02/06/05 05:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ummmm...... Did you just type this after hearing a George Carlin stand up? It is almost word for word.... you should quote the man atleast.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3739743 - 02/06/05 05:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ummmm.....NO i didnt,and do not know of the man.sorry

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3739771 - 02/06/05 05:52 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No, I didn't quote him....  I have heard it tho~, and remember the narrowing of the Commandments, and throwing out the "scary Gods" rules....  :lol:  That was some time ago, and do not remember specifics....  Are his views "the same" as what I have written...? 

If so, I give all the credits for my thoughts and my post to "George Carlin".... 

Anybody else I need to give credit to for my thoughts...???
:smirk:

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
    #3739823 - 02/06/05 06:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the impression that i get is that a god that demands worship is a loser god

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: Cosm]
    #3739834 - 02/06/05 06:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would think, (IF I were a GOD), that if I was to create a creature with the capacity for choice, I would have to accept that those creatures may not accept me as a God or their ruler....  ESPECIALLY if I was to just "inform" one or two of those creatures thru a possession here and there....   

:shrug:

Why does this all sound so negative....  :frown:
That is not what I am about at all....

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3739844 - 02/06/05 06:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hey buddy..

Well, I suppose they are the commandments because if you are to abide by the religion then you *must* follow them strictly.. and I find that many that call themselves followers of this particular religion don't follow all of them anyway. and furthermore the bible so damn hypocritical anyway and that is pretty much never followed correctly.. but since it's so hypocritical i suppose it can't really be followed correctly anyway.. my observation is that it's a whole mess of very hypocritical people that follow this religion.. as is the religion itself.. hehe sorry i kind of got off track

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: Locus]
    #3739891 - 02/06/05 06:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It is all givin me a headache....  I was born a raised Catholic, and my own mind is taking what I have grown to know and understand as religion and truth, and is ripping it with holes....  My mind....  The mind given to me by my parents - with "God breathing life into me"....  My own parents don't even command my respect - THEY DON'T NEED TO, I freely give them my respect to them by CHOICE....

I don't wanna~ think about this anymore....  Break time....  :crazy:

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3739936 - 02/06/05 07:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was born into this as well, but eventually when i was old enough to realize that this was not the right belief for me i just quit it and further developed my own spiritual beliefs. I went to church since i was a baby every week for 16 years, almost never missing a sunday. This was because my parents forced me to go. My brother and sister didn't have to do this as they got lucky with a lot of things since i was the first born. i don't mean to knock anyone else's beliefs either, i'm just expressing my own. i really hated going to church all of those years, but i had to. and religion classes as well. after i was able to stop it was easier to focus more on my own beliefs and leave that stuff behind. i still know everything about the catholic religion, which is why i disagree with it so much. and my mother is as hardcore as it gets with that stuff. she's actually on a retreat as i speak.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3739969 - 02/06/05 07:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, Catacism and the whole nine yards....  Most of it is just a blur, but all the way till I was 16....  I went with the flow cause I had too, but I don't regret it at all....  I did learn morals and all....  I don't consider that a bad thing.... 

If my parents new what I was thinking right now....  Ohhh man....  They would be wasting their time and sorrow praying "to help me" for the thoughts I am having....   

So I sit, not knowing what to believe in....  But instilled to the TEETH with morals of what is right and wrong.... 

DaMMiT, I want a chocolate chip cookie....  :lol:

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3740005 - 02/06/05 07:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

haha... a cookie eh.. sounds good  :tongue2:

yeah i feel you about this whole thing.. you'll just have to find what you truly believe in somehow..

I know I don't have the same thoughts toward all of this as you do, but it is intersting that you were forced until 16 as well..

--------------------

OfflineWoland
The MercilessWarrior
 User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #3740021 - 02/06/05 07:48 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Keep in mind that the bible was written by possibly hundreds of different authors. Each book was written as a seperate piece, so why put them all together? To create a religion. So who put this book together? A church consolate in the early 500's, picking and choosing what books fit best. Now if this is how the bible was put together, why should we trust that it was not also edited and revised by humans. There were many political motives in writing the bible. I would really recommend reading "Who wrote the bible?" by Richard E. Friedman. This book delves into the new and old testament extremely thorough. It's one of the books that changed my life. I was born a PK and forced to go to church for about 17 years too. Christian school and everything. Except my dads not catholic, he's Quaker. Quakers are weird.
Questioning is all a part of learning, who cares what your parents would do if they found out that you no longer believe in their religion, it's not about them. Your spiritual journey is all about you. Be as selfish as you want

--------------------
"It's bad enough that you sell your waking life for minimum wage, but now they get your dreams for free."

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: Woland]
    #3740037 - 02/06/05 07:57 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"Questioning is all a part of learning, who cares what your parents would do if they found out that you no longer believe in their religion, it's not about them. Your spiritual journey is all about you. Be as selfish as you want"

Yes, that is good advice. You should follow that TomCat :smile:

Anyway, Woland.. Yes, I do understand how the bible was put together and all of that. And yes, it may be very different if it was the real *original* deal. But since I don't know what that is and people that follow this religion follow it according to the bible as it is, I won't agree with it.

I suppose I could check out that book you suggested though. Maybe I will. I am content with my own beliefs now though and have been for a few years. But yeah, it never hurts to check out what else is out there..

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3740053 - 02/06/05 08:04 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, according to the first commandment (with a lil loose interpretation), I am not sinning because I worship no Gods, and believe in nothing (as far as Gods or idols go).... 

And my sis and I had to go till we were 16, why, because that is how long my mother had to go....!  :lol:  We did have the freedom to keep going if we wanted too, but niether of us did....    That was half a lifetime ago, and it makes me wonder why all this thought is coming about at this point in time....    But deep down, I do know why....  I need to find MY spirituality....  I just wonder if there is something to have faith in that is not tattered with "holes"....  Or perhaps we all just die, and that is the end of the story....    It seems an option, but for some reason it just doesn't seem "right" to me - even in my "logical" mind....   

So I search for something to believe in....    Continuing to live my life in the "right" with peace, love, compassion, and understanding for others....

And I still want a COOKIE....    :tongue:

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3740074 - 02/06/05 08:17 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Go get a cookie already man! :smile:

For me, my spiritual beliefs are not one set religion. It is more like a compilation from different religions and my own thoughts. If I absolutely had to choose a religion I would probably go with Buddhism; I think that is closest to my own beliefs. But because I don't have to and I don't ever want to be obligated to believe in only one set of rules and beliefs, I choose to believe in my own.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: The Ten Commandments -- based on Deception....? [Re: Woland]
    #3740080 - 02/06/05 08:21 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Woland said:
Questioning is all a part of learning, who cares what your parents would do if they found out that you no longer believe in their religion, it's not about them. Your spiritual journey is all about you. Be as selfish as you want

I care....  I very deeply care what they think....  I truly respect my parents and the life and support they have given me thru life....  And I don't mean monitary or "material" support....  I am a reflexion of them.... 

Unfortunately, this respect would force my hand should I be asked a question about my beliefs....  :frown:    This most certainly would cause pain - not for the fact that I do not believe in their religion, more the fact that I don't know what to believe in....  My lack of spirituality is not something I am ashamed of, or feel selfish about, I just don't want to be the cause for any stress or pain in my family....

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3740086 - 02/06/05 08:25 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That's understandable. Your parents are really being unfair concerning this though, you know? But if it's for the best then I guess just don't tell them what you're doing.

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3740101 - 02/06/05 08:35 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Locus said:
But because I don't have to and I don't ever want to be obligated to believe in only one set of rules and beliefs, I choose to believe in my own.

You believe in your own beliefs...?    :smirk: 

Are "morals" a belief...?  It seems to fall short of the whole concept of spirituality as I understand it to be....  But, it is all I seem to have.... 

IF I were to have to absolutely have to choose a God right at this moment in time, I would have to pick three....  In my "logic" I would be forced to choose: The Sun, Water, and Air as "Gods"....  My parents gave me life, but it is of the others that make all life on this planet possible.... 

But they are not "spiritual" things to believe in....  They just exist.... 

:shrug:

Edit: With a very honorable mentions for "electricital forces",  "gravitational forces", "psychoactives", and MUSIC - to which I believe BOTH to be the underlying basis for man's emotional developement and intellectual growth....  :tongue:

Edited by PhanTomCat (02/06/05 08:54 AM)

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3740111 - 02/06/05 08:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Locus said:
That's understandable. Your parents are really being unfair concerning this though, you know? But if it's for the best then I guess just don't tell them what you're doing.

No, they are not being unfair, I am very much presuming.... They have not forced a religion on me (not in my adult life anyway).... And they have changed religions since I was taught.... They will Love me no matter what my choices are.... It is unconditional, and has always been....

But in their now Christian beliefs, I would be a "Sinner", and THAT would cause stress and pain within them - worrying about me....

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order