Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
A shitty situation....
    #3737908 - 02/05/05 10:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Im in a situation that has been slowly getting worse. I have been working in the same factory for 10+ years now. I THOUGHT it was a good company when I first started, good pay, benefits and schedule.

:rotfl:

The work was somewhat hard to learn tho. It gerneraly takes 3-6months of OJT before an operator can run a workstation by himself. So we have a high turnover. The company has been open for 14years, has about 350 people daily and is training its 2050th employee this week.

I had done this type of work before, so I had a technical edge on the other operators. I was running a full workstation within the first 3 months. After a couple of years I started trying to get into an easier job. I had some senority by then so it should be easier to get off the machines. Every time an easier job came up I bid on it. Every time I got turned down. 

As the years went by there were some MAJOR changes in the company, big buyouts and new owners. They started fixing machines less and less(making them just THAT much harder to run) SHOVING overtime down our throats. People just kept quitting. So they started bringing Mexicans in and treating the senior operators like shit. If you had been there for 3-4 years :shake:  Making us come in for OT then telling us there was no work to do and send us home. Their SUPPOSED to pay us 1 hour call in pay if that happpens. NEVER got that 1 hour call in. That happened several times. Scheduling me for OT on days that I had Dr's appt and taking points if I dont show up.

Soon I started having trouble with my back. Dr's just gave pills that didnt do any good. I ended up going to a chiropractor(sp) and found out that I have a short leg. This was why my back was hurting. He worked the spasms out and I felt much better.

I told my superviser what was going on and he said to talk to the personell manager. He should be able to get me in an easier job.

Kool! Off I go to Human Resorces to tell the personell manager whats up.  He told me that as soon as a job came up that he would see about getting me moved.

:blah:

Meanwhile Im seeing other operators with less senority getting moved to places that I bid on. People getting hired off the street for jobs that I asked to do. Recently I had to have shoulder surgery from over work. Now its gotten to the point where I NEED to be moved and they are just simply refusing to do so.

Isnt this wrong?

Why wont these people move me?

Have I gotten so good at my job that they cant afford to NOT have me on the machines. If that is true, why not let me teach other operators how to do it?

Im at my wits end.  I have got a lot of time invested in this place. If I quit Im just going to be in another factory at the entry level shit job trying to get an easier job.

Who do I have to kill to fix my problem?  jk :laugh:

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
Re: A shitty situation.... [Re: niteowl]
    #3738001 - 02/05/05 10:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Don't you understand they are trying to make you QUIT? Since you have been there so long you most likely get paid way more than the people they hire off the street. Thus they can get more work for the money they spend when hiring new peole off the street. If they don't maintain and repair equipment like they should that should tell you something: They Don't Care. Ultimately who ever owns the place owns the place to make money, thus reinvesting money into maintainence <SP? Sorry im loaded!> isn't something they care about.

Also showing up for 1 hour of work and not getting paid, thats the way it sounded to me, is against the rules. Generally if you show up for work and they don't work you, you should get paid for atleast four hours of work; depends on any labor agreements or bullshit in fine print.

You should go back to the HR person and call their bluff on moving you to another position. Generally they have to move you into some other job of equal pay, but it don't sound like they will do that.

SOrry it sounds like you might have to find a new job or area of work. After ten years you might just have to move on. One thing is don't quit your job, make them fire you so you can atleast get Unemployment or see if you can get some type of severance payment. But from what it sounds like they won't even do that.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Edited by Its Pat (02/05/05 10:24 PM)

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: A shitty situation.... [Re: Its Pat]
    #3738256 - 02/05/05 11:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thats the stance I started taking about 3 years ago. If they arent going to move me then they are going to FIRE me. Im not going to quit! No fuking way! I can draw unemployment for several months if they fire me. I could go to school for computers.

But...they gotta fire me first.

I have been giving my leadman LOADS of SHIT. I hate to do it to him. He is a good guy who I have gotten high with several times (at work too  :thumbup: )  Refusing to run machines that arent in spec. Riding his ass to get some of this shit fixed. I know he has an ulcer with my name on it. He is a "yes man" so he never complains for fear of rocking the boat. So I have to push HARDER.

Today I think I pushed hard enuf. I told him that if I didnt get this next job bid then the factory was going to start getting customer complaints. We havent had one of those in a LONG time and nobody wants to have that. That got his attention. He told the week-end manager and they called me in the office. The manager asked me if I made the "customer complaint" statement. I told him yes. So he sent me home and told me to come back Monday morning to talk to the plant manager.

I may be jobless soon  :cheers:

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3738306 - 02/05/05 11:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Didn't you post a dick-pic filled advertisement for sex in OTD?

Don't feel bad....I did it too(I got the idea from you). Still no sex from shroomery girls though...

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3738316 - 02/05/05 11:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds like they are either trying to make you quit(in order to save money by employing new and cheaper people) or you are very valuable where you are. Either way they are doing what is benefitting them....not what is best for you. Factories seem to be like that. They fuck with you and shit(from what I have heard).

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: A shitty situation.... [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3738364 - 02/05/05 11:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

They have been trying to make me quit for years. It aint going to work. I have a family to take care of. I would have to take a SERIOUS pay cut, if I have to start over.

Is this legal?

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3738955 - 02/06/05 12:55 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It is perfectly legal to try to get you to quit.

In my area it is commonplace for employers to do that. Any job around here that pays over minimum wage fucks with its employees. They schedule employees on varying and wierd hours, lie to them, and ignore suggestions and requests. The reason they do this is to piss off employees and cause a high turnover rate. The reason they want a high turnover rate is because newer workers are cheaper than workers who have been there a while. You are good at your job and you do things well. But, they would rather pay some schmuck half of your pay to do your job. They save money by getting rid of experienced guys like you. That's how it goes in the workforce nowadays.

Shit....in some of the steel mills around here, they pay the older workers to quit(they give them a lump sum if they resign). Younger workers work for less and they make less demands. That is why employers want to get rid of the older workers.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#3740344 - 02/06/05 10:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That isnt the situation at my factory. All the employees get the same hourly rate of pay. Once a new operator cna run a workstation and get production, they get the same hourly rate as I do. The only benefit I get is 120 hours vacation per year.

--------------------

Invisible420Girl
SmokerExtraordinaire

Loc: The Big South
    #3740387 - 02/06/05 10:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Dude, I would take my 10+ years of experience, say FUCK YOU, and go find another job. Change is inevitable, and loyalty means nothing in this day & age. People work for companies all their lives, retire and get a crappy-ass gold watch and a pension no one could live on.

Seriously, if you are with a company for more than 2 years, it means you are a good employee. People change jobs on an average of every 2 - 4 years.

I would put my resume out there and tell potential employers that you make at least $5k more than you do. Then, you'll land a better job with more money.

--------------------

Fuck this......let's go smoke a bowl.

"Weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed."  --Freewheelin' Franklin

"Life is not all....flowers and sausages!"

I <heart> Joe!

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
    #3740426 - 02/06/05 11:10 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

and cause a high turnover rate.

A high turnover rate only cost a company more money. The more Turnover a company has the more it has to pay to the state for its unemployment insurance. Its called "Experiance Ratio". Places like Fast food restaurants pay a shitload compared to other places that have way less turnover.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: A shitty situation.... [Re: 420Girl]
    #3740456 - 02/06/05 11:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have to get out of these factories. All I have ever done is factory work. I need to go to college to learn a trade. Hard to go to school when your getting hammered with OT.

They have to FIRE me or MOVE me to an easier job.

Thats the only options, I see, thats left for me. And the DONT want to fire me. They would have to pay LOADS of unemployment.

Whem I go Monday to see the plant manager. Im thinking about being very rude and pissy with him. Tell him that Im tired of getting shit on and that Im just going to keep stirring up shit on the floor till he moves me.

Maybe I will piss him off enuf to fire me.

Invisible420Girl
SmokerExtraordinaire

Loc: The Big South
    #3740464 - 02/06/05 11:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Man, I'd make sure I had another job lined up before I did that. But, once you find another one, go in and tell him what you think. That way, if he amends the situation, you can tell the other potential employer you've changed your mind. If the plant manager gets his panties in a wad and fires you, you can keep your chin up while you're packing your box.

There's nothing wrong with factory work. It's an over-worked, under-paid job if you ask me. It ranks up there with nurses and teachers -- vital to the community, but under-appreciated.

--------------------

Fuck this......let's go smoke a bowl.

"Weed will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no weed."  --Freewheelin' Franklin

"Life is not all....flowers and sausages!"

I <heart> Joe!

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: A shitty situation.... [Re: 420Girl]
    #3740487 - 02/06/05 11:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If they fire me I will make about the same as getting a new factory job. Thats why they dont want to fire me.

My body cant do too much more of this kind of work. If they fire me, I can draw unemployment for a while till I can get some college under my belt and get in a different field.

Getting another factory job will present the same problem in 8-10 years.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: A shitty situation.... [Re: Its Pat]
    #3740571 - 02/06/05 12:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

A high turnover rate only cost a company more money. The more Turnover a company has the more it has to pay to the state for its unemployment insurance. Its called "Experiance Ratio". Places like Fast food restaurants pay a shitload compared to other places that have way less turnover.

Really? Then why do the local mills around here pay the older and better paid employees to go away? Why do places in my area not give people normal predictable shifts?

I have a friend that works at a counseling place. EVERYBODY there (except for the supervisors) works weird hours that vary from week to week. One week you will work Mon-Fri. The next week you will work Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri., Sat. One week you work in the middle of the day. The next week they schedule you for the middle of the night. There are enough people there to make permanent schedules for everyone but they don't do that. The employees there continually demand regular schedules and they are ignored. The turnover rate is high. Not as high as McDonald's mind you(because the pay is better), but people end up working there for about two years or so.

I think these tactics are used to get rid of people. Some bean counter somewhere probably figured out the exact costs of turnover and long-term employees and then concocted a strategy to maximize the profits of the company.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#3740598 - 02/06/05 12:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I know that things have gotten lots worse since we got a new CEO about 6-7 years ago. And the last 2-3  years there has been an increase of the harasment, about the same time they started hiring Mexicans.

The Mexicans are only staying 2-3 years too. They complained about Mexican corruption and American corruption. I tried telling them that the corruption was a HUMAN thing not a "national" thing.

I think that a lot of it is political. All a company has to so is show a high turnover rate to get the OK  :wink: to bring in forien employees.

This year was the first year that they didnt give a cost of living raise.

:rockets:

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Garden State(NJ) Flag
    #3740891 - 02/06/05 01:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Be very careful that you don't get hurt on the job.. ie.neck,back because then you might have to get Jonny Cochran to sue their ass so bad that you never have to work again.

--------------------

"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: A shitty situation.... [Re: vinsue]
    #3740936 - 02/06/05 02:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would fail the drug test if I got hurt at work

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#3745292 - 02/07/05 12:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well the pricks fired me. I went to the Unemployment Office and got a SHIT load of paperwork to fill out. I will be getting $345 per week. Thats the same as an entry level job in any other factory.

Im hoping to get into some kind of school. Im just not sure what I want to do. Computers or maybe journalism. Im pretty old (38) to be going to school again but I dont see any other option.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3745299 - 02/07/05 12:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

How did they justify firing you? If they give a shitty reason...sue them. Then you won't have to work.

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: A poopy situation.... [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3745369 - 02/07/05 12:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is an interesting thread. I just read it from start to finish, from when you had a job to when you didn't. I won't give you any advise, my life is just too crazy for that.

I will share a quote with you, hope it helps.

"You become what you do."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies