Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejonas

Question about effictiveness of space heaters...
    #3737782 - 02/05/05 11:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm planning a grow out of the way in my basement but it's cool down there, 50ish. I've got my incubator down there and up to optimal temps but I plan to use the incubating grain as spawn for 5 or 6 bulks. The only problem is the cool temps. The grow will be conducted in a kind of a crawlspace only not really. It's an old house and the main basement is an addition, the area I'm growing in is the original basement, which is about half the height of a normal room. So in reality, I only have to heat that 10x10x4 foot room. If the temps are at 50 degrees normally and for fruiting, I need temps around mid 70's, would a small space heater work to keep it warm?

Something like this maybe ... ?

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_...30-space_heater

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineazurescens
Re: Question about effictiveness of space heaters... [Re: jonas]
    #3737806 - 02/05/05 11:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Providing that there is insulation present. I would say yes. Then again it depends on how cold the temps will get and how well the room can maintain heat.

Offlinejonas

Re: Question about effictiveness of space heaters... [Re: azurescens]
    #3737826 - 02/05/05 11:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The lowest temp I've had down there recently is 50 degrees. It usually changes between 50-60 depending on time of day.

Thanks for the quick reply man.

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Loc: England
    #3739032 - 02/06/05 03:17 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Is the incubator you have a tub in tub?

If you can get a tub in tub to the right temps in your basement you should get 5 or six adjustable fish tank heaters, and 5 or six tubs the same size as your bulk tubs. This way you could just keep your straw in the 80's during colonization - and then turn it down the the 70's when its time to fruit. This would be much cheaper than buying a good space heater that would evenly disperse the amount of heat you need. (actually the 5 or six tub in tubs will prob run you about $150 U.S., but you will be in complete control of temps.
I just think it would be hard to get all your tubs at the same temperatures using one space heater. Unless you have room to set all the tubs up in a circular pattern and place the space heater in the middle of the circle. Just sounds like a pain in the arse to me...

--------------------
Don't grow mushrooms if it is illegal where you live.

Offlinejonas

Re: Question about effictiveness of space heaters... [Re: AnonymousNewbie]
    #3739053 - 02/06/05 03:22 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

That's true but if I can do it with one space heater, that's what I'd prefer to do. I just don't know how feasible it is. I've considered the individual tnts but I don't have an extra 150 to shell out. I can take a hit for 50 bucks or whatever to get a halfway decent space heater, but I really can't spend much more than that at the moment.

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
    #3739073 - 02/06/05 03:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

You sound like you know what your doing... Just go with what you think will work, and is the cheapest. Personally I think you are getting greedy with 5-6 bulk grows going at once. If everything worked out for you and you were using large tubs, that's at least 2 or 3 dry pounds. Nobody needs that many mushrooms, even if you are eating them for nutritional value. So just do 2 or so bulk grows and throw your "50 bucks" into doing it right. Speaking purely hypothetically now, someone growing 5 bulks is probably trying to get something monetary out of it - I would just hope that person would remember tsunami victims and donate at least 50% to the victims - Just my opinion thou.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3739103 - 02/06/05 03:36 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

2-3 pounds for 2-3 months work isnt such a lavish amount...5-6 bulk grows isnt that much..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineAnonymousNewbie
Mad Scientist
Re: Question about effictiveness of space heaters... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3739114 - 02/06/05 03:39 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

2 - 3 months work? Is he not going to do them all at once?

--------------------

Offlinejonas

#3739132 - 02/06/05 03:47 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well look at it this way. I'm going to start 6 bulks. Theoretically I'll harvest all 6 but one thing I learned from growing weed outdoors over the years is that you can't really count on anything. You must expect anything and be prepared for everything. The same holds true for mushrooms. If I do 6 bulks, I think it'd be rediculous if I didn't see 4 of them finish. It's just a little insurance on my part.

And yeah, I'm aware I'll be looking at 2-3 lbs. I've had a lot of good friends over the years pay my way (just nickle and dime shit) when I didn't have the money. My area is dry and has been dry for quite a while when it comes to mushrooms. I figure I owe it to my good friends to hook them up with some good mushies, free of charge of course. I'm thinking a QP a piece between 4 people. That's one lb gone. I'll of course keep a couple ounces for personal consumption until the next grow. Lastly, I think I'll trade a lb of mushrooms for a half lb of good heady nugs. I love mushrooms but I don't know where I'd be without my weed.

So yeah, I'm asking for a lot. But is it too much? Nah, I don't think so.

And scat's right, 5-6 isn't that much. I've seen a lot of growers on here do waaaaay more than 5-6 bulks on a regular basis. I'm nowhere near as experienced as they are so I can't even compare, but I'm just saying, it's been done plenty of times, no big whoop.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3739150 - 02/06/05 03:54 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Figure 2 weeks to colonize jars of spawn, 1 if you use a LC but I'm assuming spores. Spawn to a tub is another week to colonize the bulk..your at 3 weeks. Now case and incubating for another 3-5 days. Now finally ready to fruit after 3 1/2 weeks. 4-4 1/2 weeks pins should show up...5 days to mature...your at like 5 weeks. Another 3 days for 2nd flush pins..5 to mature..3 for 3rd flush pins..5 to mature...thats another 16 days..so about 7 1/2 weeks. At this point..figure a bin the size of this:

Assuming all goes well a bin that size over 3 flushes was around 6 ounces...6 bins..you got 36 ounces..just over 2 pounds for 7 1/2 weeks. My quick numbers were a little off.

However I also figured in the failure percentage. All almost never goes well..things go wrong...its quite possible to lose alot of your spawn, or alot of your bulk once spawned...or casings once they are fruiting. You have to plan for that and set a few extras up. If you end up with extra mushrooms so what...theres always friends who want to trip..all the better...but you dont want to plan for 2 bins and then lose half your spawn and only be able to do one bin (or lose a good portion of your spawn causing low spawn ratio and end up contamed) and then if you lose that bin after 2 flushes....

Two's enough for some...four for others...but I dont think 6 is overkill at all.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3739227 - 02/06/05 04:18 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Check this link, really cheap aquarium heaters with much less risk of fire due to a space heater running constantly.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3948&N=2004+112984

Offlinejonas

Re: Question about effictiveness of space heaters... [Re: metasin]
    #3739235 - 02/06/05 04:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Great link. I'll definately think about it. I still have a couple weeks before I have to decide.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3740594 - 02/06/05 02:33 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Theres .01% chance of a space heater sitting in a basement on concrete with nothing burnable within the safty range being any sort of fire hazard. Any I've seen these days also shut off automatically when tipped over. He'd have to put all of his bulk grows into tub in tubs...or just use space heaters to heat it up.

They are pretty efficient...my room was in a basment at one point. Rather large room and a small heate...it would heat it up pretty far away...

--------------------

Offlinejonas

Re: Question about effictiveness of space heaters... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3740680 - 02/06/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks man, I think I'm going to go with a space heater. Even if I wanted to do TnTs for every bulk it'd be such a pain in the ass. I have to drive kinda far to go to a store that carrys fishtank heaters which can be preset at certain temps, so I'd have to contantly play around with the adjustments until I got it right, and I don't want to do that. It's such a pain in the ass to even keep my incubator at 86 rigged like that. I found it this morning all the way up to 93! Needless to say, it's going to need some work.

Offlineazurescens
    #3740722 - 02/06/05 03:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

They sell internal oil based heaters at walmart for like $30 with a digital thermstat built in so when it reaches the desired temp it turns off and vice versa. Very good for maintaing temps. AND CHEAP!!!!

Offlinejonas

Re: Question about effictiveness of space heaters... [Re: azurescens]
    #3740862 - 02/06/05 03:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'll definately go there later and check it out. Thanks man.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation