Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKevinBacon3993
Stranger
How does Shrooms affect your brain Chemistry?
    #3737615 - 02/05/05 11:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have been using shrooms on and off for about a year now, took them about 4 or 5 times, and I was just wondering how they affect your brain chemistry. Do they totally mess up your serotonin like MDMA or ecstasy does to you. Are there any other harmful affect that I should know of.

Much Thanks,
Senor Shroom

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePinballWizard
Naive and Gullible as usual

Re: How does Shrooms affect your brain Chemistry? [Re: KevinBacon3993]
    #3737738 - 02/05/05 11:36 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You're probably looking for an in-depth answer, but I'll tell you right now that there are no harmful after-effects of psilocybin.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #3737889 - 02/06/05 12:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Mushrooms do a completely different thing to your head than mdma.

I wouldn't say they have a 'negative' effect on 'brain chemistry'.

I believe doing something, or experiencing something you haven't done before altars 'brain chemistry'.

I think the whole 'drugs change brain chemistry' phrase is just meant to make drugs sound really dangerous or something.

OfflineKevinBacon3993
Stranger
Re: How does Shrooms affect your brain Chemistry? [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #3737970 - 02/06/05 12:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yea thats what I was thinking. I figure if I only do them every other month or even longer than that, then it wont have any really long lasting effects.

Offlineorichalc
Stranger

#3738412 - 02/06/05 01:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

on a molecular level, everything: our thoughts, ideas, and whatnot, are made by processes within our brain; what we call neurotransmitters. these are basically chemicals which control the pathways of neurons: the reuptake and atagonistic views of them.

mushrooms on the other hand are perceptual drugs; and you shouldn't be too mindful about the physiological aspects of them, because it is your perception which controls how your brain pathways work. what you should actually be considerate about, my fellow dude in psychedellia, is that if you have a predisposition to certain mental disorders such as schizophrenia, this may actually cause a relapse or start of a new born age of psychosis. the same goes for any mental disorder; such as depression...

if you're too worried, don't do them; but if you're able to hassle these worries and overcome them, then by all means try them. mushrooms and other substances of the like require people to take the necessary steps in overcoming the fears, so that we as people can gain true insight to ourselves (just like mckenna said).
and please, don't use these drugs to "mindfuck" yourself, or to simply party around; infact, i'd recommend anyone to do them alone and at night.

anyone here who is experienced will probably tell you that no matter what, however times you've tried them, they will kick your ass if you don't treat them with respect, and if you have a mindset of, "ahhh, i can take this..."

always consider youself as nothing, as the shadows and dust; that you know nothing...

peace brother.

Edited by orichalc (02/06/05 01:48 AM)

Offlinedumbsnake34
Crazy Dude
    #3739030 - 02/06/05 03:16 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The thing is, there is only one long term negative with mushrooms and that is bad trips. Now, many people have bad trips. They are usually caused by people being idiots about shrooms. If you treat shrooms as something to conquer or as a drug that will fuck you up, then you will have a bad trip. If you need your ego, you will have a bad trip. Bad trips aren't unique to mushrooms or LSD, any experience in life can be a bad trip (breaking up with girlfriend, parents dying, etc...).

That said, this is how they affect your brain chemistry to the best of my understanding. They lower the threshold in certain synapses in your brain for firing. What this means is that when you take shrooms if your brain might have computed that the object in front of you is almost circular, the shrooms will lower that threshold making that object appear circular. These affects are subtle individually, but added together have huge affects. From a broader perspective, shrooms make your brain consider more possibilities and take more variables into account unconciously. This results in an enhancement of intuition. There is no known brain damage that can occur, but any brain damage that would take place(from another cause) while taking shrooms is likely to be amplified because the brain is more active. Furthermore, because your brain is using more of its capacities than normal, you are able to do things you wouldn't normally be able to do. This comes at a cost though: you must provide your brain with more nutrients. If you don't do this you can starve your brain. You will also need to give yourself more sleep to recover from tripping as well for the same reason. I hope that this is helpful, and believe me, shrooms (and other indole based hallucinegens that are taken orally) are the only drugs I know of that have no negative effects. Peace.

--------------------
mmmm, daydreaming

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience