Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Loc: Casing layer of hell
Large quantity grain spawn preparation...help!
    #3734762 - 02/05/05 12:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

OK, previous crop is cased and fruited. Time for more spawn. This time I'm upscaling a bit and have 60 quart jars. My substrate is about 85% milo and white millet WBS, 15% popcorn. I have about 18 gallons of this. The popcorn has been soaked for about 30 hours and is quite swelled, the WBS has been soaked for about 13 hours. Both have been washed thoroughly. I also have 10 x 12cc syringes equipped with liquid culture.

I am looking to crank this out this weekend. The hindering factor is that my pressure cooker only holds 7 quart jars, so that's 9 batches that I'm going to be doing. Probably half today, half tomorrow.

1) Do I absolutely need to simmer this grain? I'd like to save the time if possible.

2) Would adding calcium carbonate to my substrate be of any benefit? I have heard that it helps substrates make better use of their nutrients as well as ward off contamination.

3) How should I store this large amount of soaked grain that will not be PC'd til tomorrow? I had uncooked PC'd jars of WBS two days ago that molded up very quickly.

4) How long do you guys wait for your pressure cookers before you open them? Do you guys speed up its cooling process by dipping it in cool water or anything? Do you advise against this?

I realize now that I should not have soaked all my grain at once, but this is where I am now. Not looking to cut any significant corners, just make the most efficient use of my time. Any critiques, techniques, or idea would be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Large quantity grain spawn preparation...help! [Re: spliffmasta]
    #3734783 - 02/05/05 12:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

1) Do I absolutely need to simmer this grain? I'd like to save the time if possible.

IMO yes. In the correct ratios, You can just add water and dry grain to the jar and pc it like that. But you take a chance of contams.

2) Would adding calcium carbonate to my substrate be of any benefit? I have heard that it helps substrates make better use of their nutrients as well as ward off contamination.
I think that ph buffers are usually used in bulk substrate or high ph casing material like peat. I have used ph buffers on grain when I was experimenting with coffee.

3) How should I store this large amount of soaked grain that will not be PC'd til tomorrow? I had uncooked PC'd jars of WBS two days ago that molded up very quickly.

Drain it very well, put it in the refrigerator.

4) How long do you guys wait for your pressure cookers before you open them? Do you guys speed up its cooling process by dipping it in cool water or anything? Do you advise against this?

I quick release the pressure. Open it as soon as the safety lock drops. Remove the jars, shake them, and put them in your sink. Wait 10 mins (if you dont your jars will crack) and fill cold water to halfway up the jars. In 30 mins they are ready to inoculate. People say the quick release causes dry grain, its not a problem at all for me.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Large quantity grain spawn preparation...help! [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3734981 - 02/05/05 01:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Could I drain the grain that I'm not going to get to today and put it in the jars and store it in the fridge til tomorrow, or do you think it would mold up?

OfflineRexysf
Stranger

#3734992 - 02/05/05 01:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

it will be fine over night in the fridge. Just drain it well

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3734994 - 02/05/05 01:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yes I think you should do that.

Refrigeration should halt the molding pretty well.

Why cant you do it all today?

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3735054 - 02/05/05 02:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

spliffmasta said:
OK, previous crop is cased and fruited. Time for more spawn. This time I'm upscaling a bit and have 60 quart jars. My substrate is about 85% milo and white millet WBS, 15% popcorn. I have about 18 gallons of this. The popcorn has been soaked for about 30 hours and is quite swelled, the WBS has been soaked for about 13 hours. Both have been washed thoroughly. I also have 10 x 12cc syringes equipped with liquid culture.

I am looking to crank this out this weekend. The hindering factor is that my pressure cooker only holds 7 quart jars, so that's 9 batches that I'm going to be doing. Probably half today, half tomorrow.

I realize now that I should not have soaked all my grain at once, but this is where I am now. Not looking to cut any significant corners, just make the most efficient use of my time. Any critiques, techniques, or idea would be appreciated.

1 I for one am one of those that does not soak\simmer and drain ... So imho no it is not a requirement , and have had great success not doing this method , I however use grain that I know does not have vita coating on it so maybe that is why I have had great luck skipping this method.

2 No buffering is more important in the fruiting stages , in the casing , it is after consumption  of food sources, waste by products that ph starts to change . So wait till prep of casing material to worry about that.

3 IMHO do not prep any grain till ready to PC this is best way to prevent nasties and grains from sprouting. Any grains starting to grow mold IMHO should be tossed or at the very least pc'd for very long time ... like 1.5-2 hrs. But I am the type that says "when in doubt throw it out!"

4 Never open a pressure cooker till pressure drops to 0 psi , then wait 45 mins -1 hr to open , then let cool enough to handle with thin glooves .

Have you considered the use of myco bags ? You can do much larger quantities in less time . Just an idea for the future. You cant skip time , but can do less cookings.

Hope this helps
GL
PS better get off line it will only slow you down :wink:

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Large quantity grain spawn preparation...help! [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3735333 - 02/05/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm going to try to do as much as I can tonight, but I have 9 batches to do. I just finished simmering all of it. I'm about to rinse it once more and then start loading it into the jars.

Should I leave the lids off the jars when I put them into the fridge? (the ones that I probably won't get to til tomorrow)

Offlinejonas

#3735442 - 02/05/05 04:03 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Why not just make like 10 grain jars and use them to spawn to bulk. Less cooking, and you'll end up with a better yield if you use them efficiently. Just use a quart or two per bulk and you'll be set. If you really want to go with all grain it can be done but in my opinion that's a lot more work than you need to do.

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Large quantity grain spawn preparation...help! [Re: jonas]
    #3735743 - 02/05/05 05:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It will eventually be spawned to bulk.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3735784 - 02/05/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like you need a AA 941. Sure saves time.

Man, I keep telling evryone TO WATCH EBAY for AA PC bargains.

This AA 941 (CLICK HERE) went for under $33 the other day. All it needed was a new gauge. Almost bid on it myself, but I don't need 3 of them.

--------------------

Offlinespliffmasta
Fuzzy thumb
Re: Large quantity grain spawn preparation...help! [Re: agar]
    #3735822 - 02/05/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yo agar, does contamination spread significantly in liquid cultures if there is one?

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3736058 - 02/05/05 06:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Spreads faster than MILLION BILLION flys on 100 tons of fresh shit, on hot summer day.

If there is even a tiny tiny dot of any blue/green floating crap in or on an LC, DO NOT USE - trash can tek it - on the SPOT.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Large quantity grain spawn preparation...help! [Re: agar]
    #3736237 - 02/05/05 06:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Sounds like you need a AA 941. Sure saves time.

Man, I keep telling evryone TO WATCH EBAY for AA PC bargains.

This AA 941 (CLICK HERE) went for under $33 the other day. All it needed was a new gauge. Almost bid on it myself, but I don't need 3 of them.

And I keep telling them watch that damn everythinghome.com , is not AA pc but Big assed Presto , and they just had 75% sale the other day on all kitchen items so do the math brand new pc 99$+shipping -75% damn good deal IMO .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Calcium Carbonate, Peat, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation