Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Grow-op legal penalities in Canada
    #3729342 - 02/04/05 08:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was bored and was reading stuff on the internet about marijuana growing and smuggling in Canada. I was shocked at how lenient the sentences were for major grow-ops. It seems routine that when a major grow-op is found(where the person is making half a million per year or so), the cops either just come in and rip stuff up and leave without charging anybody, the perpetrator is given no jail time and a small fine, or the grower goes away for about 4 months or so. It is incredible how different it is in America. Growers in America who are producing on that large of a scale go away for YEARS and YEARS.

I saw a quote from a guy who said that 50-60% of the people in B.C. are involved or know somebody who is involved with the marijuana business and that the marijuana business is the largest provider of money to the area(even more than timber). That is nuts! If I were Canadian I would probably grow mad amounts of pot for 10 years or so and then retire.

And I see over and over again about how the cops don't really give a shit. Of course they will bust a grow-op if they get a tip, but they don't actively look for grow-ops with any energy.

Are there any Canadians who can verify all of this shit is true?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3729473 - 02/04/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I wouldn't really say it's that lenient around here...but certainly MUCH more so than in the USA.

Cops certainly DO spend a lot of time looking for grow-ops. They bust one or two a day in our cities (LARGE grow ops, too, raking in millions a year) and are always screaming for more money to go out looking for more grow ops.

I think one of the big differences is that the general man on the streets really doesn't give a rats ass about marijuana grow ops or the people who run them. It doesn't affect him, so why should he?

Around 70% of Canadians are in favor of marijuana decrim, and almost 40% are in favor of outright legalization. I think the police have a hard time lobbying for more drug money when most of us don't see any problem with the drug in the first place :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: trendal]
    #3729575 - 02/04/05 09:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, is personal responsiblity contagious? Cause you folks sure do seem to have a lot of that and common sense up there in Canada.

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: DNKYD]
    #3729606 - 02/04/05 09:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

most of the pot here in south Texas comes from Mexico. someone once told me that most of the pot in the northern states comes from Canada. i wonder if that is true?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3729617 - 02/04/05 09:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Here in the suburbs of Michigan all I know is that the mids usually come outta Detroit or Pontiac, and all the dank is either homegrown locally or it's comin from Canada.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3730104 - 02/04/05 12:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Apparently a significant portion of the pot grown here in Canada is destined for the US market.

Here in Ontario, marijuana is the second biggest cash crop being grown...right behind corn.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #3731260 - 02/04/05 03:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think one of the big differences is that the general man on the streets really doesn't give a rats ass about marijuana grow ops or the people who run them. It doesn't affect him, so why should he?

Around 70% of Canadians are in favor of marijuana decrim, and almost 40% are in favor of outright legalization. I think the police have a hard time lobbying for more drug money when most of us don't see any problem with the drug in the first place :wink:

You know I think the UK attitude is about spot on the same.

Please, there are real crimes for our police to expend their limited resources on, best make it something people give a fuck about, like being able to walk safe a night.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: psilomonkey]
    #3731326 - 02/04/05 04:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

psilomonkey said:

You know I think the UK attitude is about spot on the same.

Please, there are real crimes for our police to expend their limited resources on, best make it something people give a fuck about, like being able to walk safe a night.

Too true. It's almost sickening to read about how billions of dollars have been spent (and will be spent) to fight the fruitless so-called "War on Drugs" here in the U.S. And to what end? The prevailing attitude of drug hysteria here has resulted in packed-to-the-roof prisons, and they wonder why the deficit is so large.... :frown:
It's nice to see some countries have a more enlightened view on this subject, though...

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: Le_Canard]
    #3731611 - 02/04/05 05:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Its does pain me to see resource being pissed away on some fucked up false war on something which is none of their fucking business, "victim please?", and don't say the fucking state, when alcohol and tobacco are out there, hypocrites.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3731922 - 02/04/05 06:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Apparently a significant portion of the pot grown here in Canada is destined for the US market.

It is a perfect black market situation. The penalties for growing in Canada are not that bad and the demand for pot is huge in America. It's too lucrative to not do it for a lot of people it seems(according to the articles I have read).

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
    #3732100 - 02/04/05 07:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

also keep in mind that a lot of the pot growing in bc is also gang run. i got family workign for some of them. also here on vancouver island and lots of the little il;snads around it have HUGE grows, many by hells angels and soem other gangs i know nothing about. so thsi shit is definatly organised, probabyl far more so than our own government.

and yes, a lot of our bud is shipped to washington state and goes from tehre. tehre was a multi tonne bust of hash here last year that made a few papers. they found i think 11 tonnes at the house (chemanus bc) and another 2 tonnes on a boat crossing the water border. i think they caught 6 guys, the sentances were all under 10 years, most being 2-5. wish i had kept the article, but i think i threw it out during a house cleaning.

people also say that when canada went through its "recession" the only reason bc did so well was because of the marijuana industry, which i believe. this industry stimulates almost every other industy that we have.

its my opinion that from a money stand point it is better for it to be illegal. these grow ops will make WAY more money having it illegal than having it legal. how many black market alcohol busts do we see?

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineJ4S0N
human
 User Gallery

#3732108 - 02/04/05 07:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I live in one of the largest growing areas in Canada. The vietnamese mafia controls most of the large grow-ops around here. And here is the kicker, most of the time the people who get caught arn't even Canadian citizens, so they get no jail time. Instead they are sent back to vietnam, and they made their boss millions.

I went to school with a lot of asian kids who's parents were invovled in the business. My friend made a lot of money buying off of these kids, then trafficking it.

The same gangs are involved in Ecstacy production in Toronto. The Italian mafia, and Hells Angels also have a large stake in the pot production in Canada.

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: J4S0N]
    #3732525 - 02/04/05 08:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you happen to be south of nanaimo?  :grin:  we are tracking you down!

i was suprised to find out about the extacy industry between canada and australia...our little bc is growing up so fast

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Grow-op legal penalities in Canada [Re: kadakuda]
    #3733765 - 02/05/05 01:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is going to sound so terrible and if any law enforcement agents are watching this sounds a tad bit incrimnating if I do this...

I am an American citizen. If I came to "visit" Canada(I would be an alien who was hanging out in Canada) and I became involved in the marijuana industry(growing or selling) I could make a lot of money. If I was caught I would probably just be extradited back to the U.S. and I would get in no trouble. Or with the worst case scenario I would have to do a couple of months in a Canadian jail. Big whoop. It would be worth it if I could make a million dollars.

I would make big money and if I am caught I probably won't be punished at all or barely at all. Shit....sounds like an opportunity. Fuck the rat race.

Offlinetheknighterrant
errant knight
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in western cana...
    #3735530 - 02/05/05 02:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

also keep in mind that many of these "major" grow ops that the police tend not to prosecute for are actually small scale home brewing type deals. by small scale i mean no more than 10-20 plants. the police have a tendancy to hyperbolize the amounts and street values to make themselves seem more efficient and active than they really are. i have seen some the major grows up here and they contain thousands of plants. you get busted with one of those and you go to jail for a long, long time (if you aren't deported that is). yes, we are a little more lenient on things like possession and small scale operations, but not that lenient when it comes to serious production.

tke

--------------------
The oldest and strongest emotion of man is fear. The oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
--H.P. Lovecraft

Demented Piper Press

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies