Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaenima
Loc: UK
idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium
    #373045 - 08/16/01 12:18 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

would puttign a small plant in a terraium help in removing co2 without fanning.

If my memory serves me correctly, when at school in biology we were told plants take in co2 and output oxygen.

ALthough i think that they also take in oxygen and output co2 at some points as well.

anyone with more information?

ohwell probably a stupid idea

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I've been wallowing in my own confused, insecure dellusions

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMattyB
enthusiast
Re: idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium [Re: aenima]
    #373049 - 08/16/01 12:26 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Paul Stamets writes about this briefly in his book, The Mushroom Cultivator. I've never tried it myself, though I don't see why it couldn't work. The only problem you may encounter is that some plants may already have contaminants on them when you put them in your terrarium. I guess you could spray the plant with water diluted with H202 and see what happens.

Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
Re: idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium [Re: MattyB]
    #373110 - 08/16/01 02:35 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Real pain in the ass the soil will rot in the humidity and you have to be careful about the species of plant. Rain forest plants only tike pitcher plants.Even thenparts of the plant will rot i.e. STINKS!!! Vicks cool mist will humidify and expel CO2.

Zippity freakin doo dah

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

InvisibleTUT
Stranger
Loc: USA
Re: idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium [Re: aenima]
    #373131 - 08/16/01 03:06 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I took botany in college and I remember how surprised I was to find out how much plants will actually consume in terms of gases.
As you know plants produce Oxygen when photosynthesis is under way. When plants are not exposed to light the cycle is reversed and they begin to take in oxygen from the atmosphere. In fact in ponds for instance if there is enough plant life, usually in the form of algae, it will produce an abundant supply of Oxygen during the day and then at night will consume almost all available disolved Oxygen in the water resulting in a fish kill.
The grow chamber being a closed enviroment is somewhat similar to a small body of water in the sense that small changes in that enviroment can quickly make it intolerable for its inhabitants.
I am not trying to tell you not to put a plant in there, I think it is a great idea actually. I am just wanting to let you know what will happen when the light is not on. I would keep the light on it all the time if you could. I have read that it will not really help the shrooms but it will certainlly not hurt them either, unless it is a light that is making your chamber get warmer and warmer. I hope this helps some. Good luck and let us know how it all works out. Peace b w/u, TUT

OfflineGiga_Funk
Re: idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium [Re: TUT]
    #373182 - 08/16/01 04:38 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

um i dont know about that there tut, i mean plants consuming oxygen, the reason fish die in heavily alginated pond is when the alge rots the BACTERIA that eat the plant(rot) consume mad oxygene.....I could be wrong about the plants not sucking oxygen but i cant think of any chemical reaction in a plant that uses oxygen......

When tripping and frolicking with unicorns, do NOT,under ANY circumstance, let them persuade you to play the innocent childrens game "leapfrog"

--------------------
I believe in magick

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium [Re: Giga_Funk]
    #373217 - 08/16/01 05:57 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

When a plant is photosynthesizing (when there is light) it uses CO2 and releases O2, but when there is no light, the plant turns to respiration using O2 and and its own sugars and releasing CO2. This is why you can rarely have plants in an ICU patients room. Actually you are correct about the aerobic bacteria decaying the algae using up Oxygen, but algae also uses O2 at night. If you look at a lake with a high algae level, its daytime O2 will be higher than its night time. This problem got out of hand at a resevoir north of here, the night time levels dropped so low that it killed over 600 fish.

And the chemical reaction that a plant undergoes to use O2 occurs when photosynthesis stops and it is forced to feed on its own sugar stores.

Novelty

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineGiga_Funk
Re: idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #373219 - 08/16/01 06:01 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Dig it...thanks for clarifying

When tripping and frolicking with unicorns, do NOT,under ANY circumstance, let them persuade you to play the innocent childrens game "leapfrog"

--------------------
I believe in magick

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #373221 - 08/16/01 06:03 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

But what about a few chia pets standing around?

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: idea for remoiving Co2 in terrarium [Re: puscle]
    #373227 - 08/16/01 06:12 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know how well the little chia seeds will do in the humidity. They are naturally a desert plant. (salvia hispanica)
But I hear they are one of the most nutritious seeds around. Mmmm.

Ya know, they should make mushroom chia pets! Now that I could dig.

Novelty

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlineaenima
Loc: UK
    #373537 - 08/17/01 05:47 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for info everyone.

won't bother with it as terrairum is in a mostly dark area.
Next attempt will be in majority light area so might try it.

Does the plant produce equal amounts of oygen in phtosynthesis as it does c02 in respiration. If so then as long as light is on for more than it is off, c02 will go down.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract