Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: ok, I'm confused... [Re: SunshinePounder]
    #3731428 - 02/04/05 04:19 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Then proof it! :laugh:

That dude at war said that it didnt affect PH. I aint gonna proof it for you, dont feel for it, but I am sure that PH before adding eggshellpowder to your peat will be different then after you add it.

Maybe you are not sure, I dont care, anymore!  People like at war, getting hostile and dirty, trying to hit with words and sick comments cause I have my opinion. Not discussing the topic but trying to "win" points with sick comments in the margin.

Not interested in discussing with such dudes. Hence even you start yelling PROOF IT and such. I turn it the other way around. PROOF I AM WRONG, YOUR YELLING AND SNEAKY TACTICS DONT CUT WOOD.

So for me case closed, the ones who wanna use eggshells as an immediate buffer be sure to powder them real fine. Better to use other calcium sources to raise the PH instantly.

--------------------

Edited by MushroomFriend (02/04/05 04:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: ok, I'm confused... [Re: ATWAR]
    #3731435 - 02/04/05 04:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I aint gonna read more of you shit, succes at war! :lol:

Consider yourself ignored.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ok, I'm confused... [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3731572 - 02/04/05 04:52 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Simply crushing egg/oystershells will have little to no buffer effect as they don't really break down over time, you need to powderize them in order for them to be effective. It's really that simple :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3731604 - 02/04/05 04:58 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I just really dont understand what you dont get MF. Eggshells will not work without acid. Peat IS acidic so it will work right when you add it to raise pH but only up to 7. If you leave it set and add no more acidity, then the pH WONT change. Sorry man, it wont. I've done it, and after months (I dont remember how many..around 3) there was no change (were talking coir here but same principals should apply) in pH. The buffer only starts to continue working again when its exposed to acid. Calcium carbonate isnt water soluable because water is neutral. But it is soluable in peat water (acidic) and will start to work. Atwar (who is a chick by the way) never said it didnt change the pH of peat, she said it doesnt CONTINUE to change the pH of peat while sitting in the jar. It needs to be applied to the substrate before it will start working again so it can get the acid.

Thats why HYDRATED lime is used if you want all effects to be instant...its soluable in water.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Re: ok, I'm confused... [Re: hyphae]
    #3731717 - 02/04/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

YEP

--------------------

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: ok, I'm confused... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3731734 - 02/04/05 05:38 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Atwar (who is a chick by the way) never said it didnt change the pH of peat, she said it doesnt CONTINUE to change the pH of peat while sitting in the jar.

Thank you for pointing that out scatmanrav. While I do not really like the term "chick", I do prefer it to "dude"...

I would really like to know where it is that I said "that it didn't affect PH". I tried to find it, but I couldn't. It really is hard to try to explain something to somebody who doesn't even bother to read the replies, nor bother to understand them...
:rolleyes:

Calcium carbonate does indeed effect Ph (which is exactly why we use it as a buffer, obviously). But I fail to see how aging a casing layer could provide any advantage over just making it with the correct Ph from the beginning (even if it did work in the way that was claimed). Obviously some individuals have a hard time understanding simple concepts such as "long-term buffer" and how they work. Even when the concept is provided by multiple people, explained multiple ways... Should I feel bad that I am "ignored"? No, I don't think so... On the contrary, I feel bad for this individual, as they appear to have a serious learning impediment...

The egg shells do more work...
:lol:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlineticktock
Seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: Just ask the rabbit.
Re: ok, I'm confused... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3731793 - 02/04/05 05:56 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Caveat; I'm a noob and am really happy with my success so far.

I'm using verm/peat 50/50 with crushed egg shells. I bake the shells until they turn brown before crushing by hand. Baking burns off the semipermeable membrane inside, which otherwise might add nutrition to the casing. It also makes the shells crumble splendidly. The result contains both crushed and powdered bits of shell. It's a nice variety of particle sizes. Unbaked shells probably don't produce a homogeneous particle size either, but I haven't tried it.

The 50/50 tek on this site starts with hydrated lime, and later is updated to say that you don't need it. That's what I followed and it's working so far. Will I see 20 flushes? Stand by.....

--------------------
Don't panic!

OfflineSunshinePounder
The Girl withthe Sun in HerEyes

Loc: Peace Man!
Re: ok, I'm confused... [Re: ticktock]
    #3731857 - 02/04/05 06:11 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I started to get a little nervous about this thread at one point. But now it is complete, it is everything I hoped it would be.
Thank you all for a great conversation about casing layer ingredients and pH levels and adjustment techniques.
Seeing as ticktock vouches for pete and egg (I can get this locally), I will begin on this. Of course next time I go to the big city, I will pick up some coco.
5 ALL AROUND :cheers:

--------------------
My [url=www.http://tinyurl.com/6valr target=_blank]Unitarian Jihad Name[/url] is: Sister Claymore of The Short Path
Get yours

If I was the sun, I'd look for the shade~Liberty

Baby I love you, and you love me. Let's love each other to eternity~

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3731870 - 02/04/05 06:15 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Peat is good ssp! :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #3731989 - 02/04/05 06:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:grin:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

#3734196 - 02/05/05 04:30 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup: :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom