Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSatori1
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: everywhere
tops of jars colonizing, but not bottoms?
    #3731433 - 02/04/05 04:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well sterilized bird seed was inoculated with colonized karo and there was even growth after 3 days, so the jars were shaken to dispurse the mycelium... 10 days later the jars were inspected, only to find that only the top 1/3 of the birdseed had recovered from the shaking, the bottom 2/3's had not. What could cause this? The uncolonized portions don't seem to be contaminated. The growth of the top 1/3 of the jars appears cottony, a sharp contrast from the vigorous, rhizomorphic mycelium which covered the whole jars prior to shaking.

all 5 jars were inoculated on the same day and shaken on day 3 after healthy colonization. After shaking all show the same problem: only the top 1/3 portion of the jars are colonized. Two are 1/2 gallon jars and 3 are quart sized.

any ideas on how this problem could have arisen, and possibly and ideas on how to fix it?

thanks, Satori1

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: tops of jars colonizing, but not bottoms? [Re: Satori1]
    #3731465 - 02/04/05 04:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Are the jars heated in any way? If they are the bottoms of the jars may be too hot. You also must consider the fact that more fresh air gets to the top of the jars. Do you have adequate air exchange?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSatori1
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: tops of jars colonizing, but not bottoms? [Re: z@z.com]
    #3731527 - 02/04/05 04:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the jars are in an incubator which maintains an 82-86 temperature. I always thought that when myceium is growing in jars air exchange wasn't an issue..

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3731556 - 02/04/05 04:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

With a clean liquid culture innoc'ed into WBS, signs of growth is common in 3 days @ optimal incubation temps..

IMHO, shaking at first signs of growth is a MISTAKE. I wait until jar is 15 / 20% colonized & shake good once. Any more only (IMHO) slows the process.

You ever took a REAL hard beating, with goose egg lumps, fat lip, black eye & cracked ribs?

Shaking does the same thing to myc. If there is very little myc, shaking to soon can BATTER it so badly, it never recovers.

Or, if it does, SOMETIMES - it does so very slowly, a bit off color (almost gray) & wispy looking.

Another factor is to dry & not enough gas exchange. If top half jar recovers & bottom doesnt......lack of gas exchange & to dry may be the problem.

--------------------

OfflineSatori1
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: tops of jars colonizing, but not bottoms? [Re: agar]
    #3731620 - 02/04/05 05:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The jars were more than 20% colonized with healthy mycelium by day 3, so I figured a good shaking was in order.
I'm beginning to think not enough air is reaching the bottom 2/3's of the jars... but I don't see a way to increase air exchange in a glass jar.

It's so strange.. I can see chunks of myceium that were broken up at the bottom of the jar... but they aren't recovering. I don't know what to do.

Offlinecanozen
Stranger
Loc: tex,usa
    #3731716 - 02/04/05 05:34 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm having the same problem with some gallons of oyster. I think my problem is from air exchange.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds