Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRoudypiper
help with heating
    #3730212 - 02/04/05 02:41 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

hello everyone, i jus got my new terrarium and i gotta question on a good way to heat it. right now i gotta heating pad in there to test how hot it get and it ain't gettin that hot the temp still says like 70. what could i use and not get too hot in there and not melt the plastic or catch on fire. imma use it for incubation and fruiting so i need something that i can change the temp at different times. thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: help with heating [Re: Roudypiper]
    #3730224 - 02/04/05 02:43 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

submersible aquarium heater

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

OfflineRoudypiper
Re: help with heating [Re: Damn_Skippy]
    #3730232 - 02/04/05 02:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

should i get one that sticks on the side or one that can go under the perlite and the water??

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3730245 - 02/04/05 02:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

a heating pad will work for a TnT style incubator, use fire retardant drywall
under the pad, put the device on a timer so that it have a little cool down time
and keep a close check on the water level in the incubator, to determine the
timing for it, use a thermometor and check it every hour.

a 4x8 sheet of drywall is only about $8, if you dont want to go this route, pick
up a submersible fishtank heater and make a TNT using it.

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

Re: help with heating [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3730254 - 02/04/05 02:49 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

submersible is not one that hangs on the side... listen to prisoner, the TnT tek is a lot easier

--------------------
~Skipp
"I like cigarettes, Miss Taggart. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come alive from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind---and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3730263 - 02/04/05 02:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

What is the TNT tek? only one i know about is PMP

OfflineRoudypiper
Re: help with heating [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3730268 - 02/04/05 02:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

what is the tnt incubator??

Offlinejman9912
ShroomerZ
    #3730278 - 02/04/05 02:51 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

OHHH Tub in Tub right?

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3730292 - 02/04/05 02:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

tub'n tub. take one tub fill with water, spacers and subermersible heater. take another tub and put inside tub with water. check water level and temp. you have an incubator

simplified version of the TnT tek

--------------------
~Skipp

OfflineRoudypiper
    #3730303 - 02/04/05 02:55 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

would i half to get 2 tubs could i jus put the heater under the water and perlite and would it work jus the same way??

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3730324 - 02/04/05 02:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yeah... you could. But I don't think that would necessarily heat evenly. That's why the TnT is better

--------------------
~Skipp

OfflineRoudypiper
    #3730476 - 02/04/05 03:20 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

has anyone every tried puttin the heater in side the terrium?? u would think it would still heat all the water and make it warm in there, im also puttin an air pump on it with the air wands, would this help in circulating the water makin it more evenly heated??

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3730482 - 02/04/05 03:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

yes it will heat the water, but it's also going to create a lot of humidity

--------------------
~Skipp

OfflineRoudypiper
    #3730496 - 02/04/05 03:23 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

would putting like 4 holes in the bottom above the perlite with polyfill in thme take the humidity away some? also theres a lil gap where the lid fits on

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3730507 - 02/04/05 03:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

no cus if you are gonna use the same tub for fruiting you want the humidity to be high when you fruit

--------------------
~Skipp

OfflineRoudypiper
    #3730515 - 02/04/05 03:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

right. after i get done inncubating imma gonna convert it to a fruting chamber

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3730673 - 02/04/05 03:52 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

well if you have the perlite, bubblewands, and aquarium heater in there it is a fruiting chamber.... looks like you're looking for the easiest way out, and you shot down all my ideas. I dunno what to tell ya if your heating pad isn't hot enough.

--------------------
~Skipp

OfflineTheEmeraldLeaf
Stranger

#3730747 - 02/04/05 04:07 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I am using a heating blanket for incubation. You can change the temp by changing the settings. It working really well... keeps it around 82. They shut off every 10 hrs though so you have to watch it.

i set a piece of cardboard under it so they wont get too hot on the bottom. you can buy digital thermometers that have a cord for indoor/outdoor at target for around 7 dollars. Its a lot easier then moving the blanket to take the temp.
Hope this helps  :smile:

--------------------
***"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix***

OfflineRoudypiper
Re: help with heating [Re: TheEmeraldLeaf]
    #3737198 - 02/05/05 09:59 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

what size heater should i get im tryin to heat a 16 gallon tub, im gettin a digital heater type, the question is, does the wattage of the heater matter any really, cuz they all say that the temp range is from 60-93, i was eather gonna get the 50 watt or the 100 watt.

InvisibleDamn_Skippy
Fell off theWagon

#3737377 - 02/05/05 10:39 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

100W.. I have a 50W for my TnT 10 gallon tub. but it only heats 5 gallons of water as that is the most that will fit in there

--------------------
~Skipp

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Air Pump, Aquarium Heater, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation