Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetathagatagarba
Stranger
putrid smell after soaking, ok?? Please HURRY!
    #3729709 - 02/04/05 12:19 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Hello, this is my first post in several years, and I'm glad to see that you are all here and doing well! Anyway, I started off with a variety of grains, going to do some mixing and matching to find my own recipe. Unfortunately, during the soak, I made the mistake of keeping the jars in an area that was at least 90 degrees, probably hotter. I thought it wouldn't hurt, and would probably increase germination rates of whatever spores were in my grains (relative to the rest of my house since it is quite cold, usually in the 60's). However, after soaking for twenty-four hours, both the millet and the wheat berries smelled *nasty.* The popcorn and brown rice were fine though. I rinsed well, cooked the grains seperately til they began exploding. Then I mixed and pressure cooked.

Ok, I looked up different types of food rotting. It appears that I had putrefication occur, or the decomposition of proteins and whatnot. It's not severe in the sense that the grains were still hard before cooking, but I couldn't rinse the smell off either.

SOOOOOO, should I toss all the jars that I used anything putrid in? Or should I open just one after pressure cooking to see if it still stinks? I don't think any contams survived the pressure cooker, but I wonder if the decompisition causes any problems. I need to know asap cause I have to either go buy more grains or inoculate.

Thanks ,
tathagatagarba

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKingBahamut
visiting goon

Re: putrid smell after soaking, ok?? Please HURRY! [Re: tathagatagarba]
    #3729746 - 02/04/05 12:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

don't waste your spores on rotten grain. I just learned a lesson about soaking for too long, now you have too

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: putrid smell after soaking, ok?? Please HURRY! [Re: KingBahamut]
    #3730046 - 02/04/05 01:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

That always happens with Rye and WBS. Thats the whole POINT of soaking them in water overnight is to germinate rotten ass shit to grow. The rotten assed shit will be killed by the pressure cooker where as the spores that germinated the rotten assed shit wouldnt have been killed by the PC.

You can soak for 2-3 days without it being to long as long as the grain doesnt sprout. The PC will kill the shit.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Loc: I moved!
Re: putrid smell after soaking, ok?? Please HURRY! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3730100 - 02/04/05 02:03 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

listen to scat he *cough* knows *cough* what he is talking about.

Excellent post btw tat. Thats how you need to do it if you want help :smile: Newbs take note.

to restate exactly what scat said :

Soaking causes things that wouldn't normally be killed by the PC to germinate. After germination, you can think of it like their "defenses are down", and they are now ready to die in the PC. That germination process is exactly as you found it to be; the growing of some nasty shit - and that shit smells!

No worries though mate! You sound like you have a great start, now follow through!

'Doobie

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

VvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVvVv

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
    #3730246 - 02/04/05 02:46 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I just finished PCing my first set of rye quarts yesterday, and I can confirm that there is indeed a mexicanesque dysentery funk about them before PC'd:wexican: :argh:.... You'll be fine, super job!

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
Re: putrid smell after soaking, ok?? Please HURRY! [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3732030 - 02/04/05 09:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NeedMoreSleep said:
mexicanesque dysentery funk

:lol:  :projectile:

--------------------
ADoobie said:
I know what strikes me as odd about this. It is totally unnatural. The whole idea is just totally backwards.

So are historians going to look back at 'The Great Cake Eaters'? Damn. That was a backwards step in the evolutionary process. We left Shroomheads in the dust. Welcome to the new age of Vermheads.

I ONLY STUDY legal, edible mushrooms and mycology. Any mention of any other kind of mushroom is purely fictional, and pictures are ripped from the internet. I do not grow mushrooms!

Offlinetathagatagarba
Stranger
Re: putrid smell after soaking, ok?? Please HURRY! [Re: ADoobie]
    #3734565 - 02/05/05 10:53 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

oi...
I did many pints, so I opened a few to see what they smelled like after the pc. Still stinking. Yeah, smells like throw up. Only the popcorn doesn't smell. I kept a couple of these jars, but I did end up with more grains, so I'll make some freshees too. Let's see what works and what don't! It seems though, if it is putrefication occuring as in the actual decompisition of the grains, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, except that it would stick together like a pf cake. Well, I appreciate the help, and I will update in a few days. Thanks.

Offlinetathagatagarba
Stranger
    #3734802 - 02/05/05 12:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Has anyone else ever opened their jars after pcing to see if they stink still? Or should the smell definitely go away?

InvisibleADoobie
AdoobieShroomery
Male
    #3734977 - 02/05/05 01:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

woah man ack!

Don't open those jars!

Lets go over this again, this time in the most simple way possible;

If your jars smell, you did everything right. The smell is a good thing. It will go away.

D O _ N O T _ O P E N _ Y O U R _ J A R S

*cringe*
The following below is a depiction of the millions of contamns that are floating around whatever non-sterile room you opened those jars in. This is what the PC was for;

:hellfire:

:shake:

Good luck mate, and remember;

"Teacher, Teacher, leave those kids alone"

--------------------
ADoobie said:

Edited by ADoobie (02/05/05 01:35 PM)

OfflineRexysf
Stranger

Re: putrid smell after soaking, ok?? Please HURRY! [Re: ADoobie]
    #3735002 - 02/05/05 01:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

"Teacher, Teacher, leave those kids alone"

very good advice :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation