Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejohnforamerica
Stranger
2 ?'s-Top of jar, and contam when flipping?
    #3729278 - 02/04/05 09:39 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Two questions for you all....

I have a jar that is 99% colonized, but I can't tell if the top is, because of the dry verm layer. HOW DO I TELL?! Should I just wait a bit?

During our first try, we flipped some upside down to try to stimulate growth. Perhaps it's because these weren't going to grow anyway (it had been like 2 weeks), but only the ones I turned over (which inluded one that was colonizing) got contam (mix of cobweb and green mold. Does flipping your jars increase the risk or contam? Is this just a crazy coincidence? Have you seen Marat Saffin's girlfriend?! I was thinking that because we have fine vermic, maybe it slid over when turned and created a space of no protection, as all contam was at the top.

EXCEPT! The one that was already growing, it's contam is on the bottom. THe only thing I can think here is that there was a bit of moisture, but just what the myco produce as they grow, just some condensation on the glass (but no standing water).

Ladies and gentleman, please solve these mysteries for me.

In peace and love,

John

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2 ?'s-Top of jar, and contam when flipping? [Re: johnforamerica]
    #3729292 - 02/04/05 09:45 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

If everything goes as planned your substrate should colonize up to the verm barrier no problem, just wait that one out.

It's hard for us to determine if you got contams through flipping the jars, and I highly doubt that's what happened. It could depend on how thick your verm barrier is, what's your depth? I've never gotten any contams through the use of a verm barrier so I highly doubt that's what the problem is here-it's most likely your sterile practices or PC'ing (or lack of)

Just my .02

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinejohnforamerica
Stranger
Re: 2 ?'s-Top of jar, and contam when flipping? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3729327 - 02/04/05 09:55 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. we are using a 1/2 layer of fine grade. Just found another that looks lay something greenish may be going on in the background, so I seperated it from other jars. These jars (the ones that actually grew) didn't show contam until they were over 50-75 percent colonized. Does contam usually show up earlier, or whenever it wants.

We had to steam sterilize, no pc. Did it for an hour.

Well, this is our first time growing, and we got two syringes. First, we did that cambodians. These are the ones I'm talking to you about now. 5 out of the 12 will be viable, mostly because we let the water get low on one of the pots, and I think the cake's got a little cooked. That knocked out 5 right there (3 of which were contam). Since then, the two I have spoke here about have shown up. These were slow to inoculate though, because unbeknowst to us they were sitting in the jars at 72-74 degrees for the first week and a half. Now we have a closet with a space heater, and the second batch, Mazatapecs, which I did two weeks later, have almost caught up with the cambodians!

Again, thanks again!

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 2 ?'s-Top of jar, and contam when flipping? [Re: johnforamerica]
    #3729336 - 02/04/05 10:00 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Contams can show themselves at any stage. 1/2" of fine grade verm is plenty, I'd have to say it came from your sterilization method. Some people have had success with steam sterilization, but it's nowhere near as reliable as a pressure cooker, naturally. The contams could have also entered during inoculation, but assuming you did an alcohol wipe of the needle w/ each shot that's pretty unlikely also.

Look into getting a pressure cooker if at all possible, or next time boil your jars for 1 hr,30 mins.

Good luck

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinejohnforamerica
Stranger
Re: 2 ?'s-Top of jar, and contam when flipping? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3729340 - 02/04/05 10:01 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks again friend!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation