Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Loc: Toronto
Mixing grains for spawn
    #3729233 - 02/04/05 09:04 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Would there be any problem mixing WBS and rye in a single jar to be used as spawn? My rye jars have colonized a lot quicker than WBS in the past...i'm figuring this is because there are more air pockets maybe?
Problem is, I don't have much rye left and can't get anymore for a while. Should mixing up 50/50 WBS and rye work just fine?

Another sort of related question...
Say i have 4 colonized grain jars that were inoculated with two different karo cultures. If I'm going to make a couple casings, would mixing two jars created from different cultures decrease the myc's performance in comparison to combining jars of the same culture?

Sorry if my wording is confusing...I'm going to try and pick up a copy of TMC right now...that should help straighten out the terminology :grin:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mixing grains for spawn [Re: wynzlo]
    #3729303 - 02/04/05 09:48 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

there is no problem with mixing them before sterilization, you may want to soak them seperately though.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3729326 - 02/04/05 09:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Custom mixed grains is a smart choice IMHO , the many varying sizes of differnet grains creates a wider range and sizes of inoc points . It also allows one to select grains based on the differnt nutrtional values of each grain , and nutes that are released and usable at differnet stages of development .50\50 60\40 WHATEVER will be just fine , the myc is gonna eat it up no matter what ... well as long as all goes well and no nasties get in during the prep.

For scientific purposes ... I think you should keep each strain seperate and inoc seperate trays with each , but we are not talikng about issolated strains done on agar, so do whatever stikes your fancy .

GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Loc: Toronto
Re: Mixing grains for spawn [Re: tripndicular]
    #3729451 - 02/04/05 10:47 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks a lot guys

I'm kind of at the point where I know what will work for me but I always want to know why. Which Stamets book would be more helpful for understanding what the hell mycelium is thinking? GGMM or TMC?

--------------------
Note: This post is entirely false. The author of this post is a delusional schizophrenic living in a fantasy world and the fantastical information within the post is a direct result of excess exposure to cable television.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3729500 - 02/04/05 11:03 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

TMC is great choice ,it covers alot of info that is good foundation for all growers even for normal mushies .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation