Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
why did egyptians forget how to write hieroglyphics
    #3729070 - 02/04/05 03:54 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

perhaps they never learned.

what is this. why dont we see heads like that today?

and look at mister mind over matter

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLethalX5
Male

Re: why did egyptians forget how to write hieroglyphics [Re: Cosm]
    #3729113 - 02/04/05 04:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

sometimes i think parts of Stargate are true. this only improves my theory

--------------------
"To get what you've never had, You must do what you've never done."

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3729132 - 02/04/05 05:19 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

They "forgot" how to write them because like all languages, their language evolved from the concrete to the abstract. The first two pictures are of the pharaoh Akhenaten, famous for being the world's first monotheist. His odd appearance is attributable to either Froehlich's Syndrome or Marfan's Syndrome(more likely the latter). I do not know enough about the strange skulls to comment on those, except to say that some cultures have had a practice of tying a board to children's foreheads so that their head would develop more flat and vertical. The last picture is from a religious inscription, and cannot be taken any more seriously than anything which is written in the Bible.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3729313 - 02/04/05 07:51 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Why have people forgotten how to speak Latin?

Languages die out as new dialects and languages from other areas take over. In cases like ancient Egypt, where really only a FEW people could ever read/write in the first place...it becomes MUCH easier to lose a language through turmoil and the fall of a civilization.

On the other hand, Latin was spoken by large sections of society over many different geographical areas. Yet it still died out. If Latin couldn't survive, then hieroglyphics didn't stand a chance!

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #3729324 - 02/04/05 07:54 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oh, and we don't see heads like those today because the traditions that created heads like that died off with the Egyptian civilization.

They used to TIGHTLY wrap the heads of some children, which would cause their skull to stretch out like you see in those pictures. Same idea as in asia where some girls feet are wrapped tightly from birth, which can cause the toes to grow back and under the feet.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: why did egyptians forget how to write hieroglyphics [Re: Silversoul]
    #3729343 - 02/04/05 08:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i totally disagree with your answers.

the Egyptians had papyrus to write on.

and boards are a relatively modern invention.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
    #3729353 - 02/04/05 08:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

now what trendal had to say makes more sense. however im not totally convinced.

Offline13eetleJuice
the ghost with the most
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 6' under pushin up shroom...
    #3729386 - 02/04/05 08:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What's not to be convinced about? What is your speculative hypothesis?

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: why did egyptians forget how to write hieroglyphics [Re: trendal]
    #3729401 - 02/04/05 08:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

What happened to the Egyptian language?

The fanatic early Christians went on appropriating ancient Egyptian temples. In the 4th and 5th centuries, many ancient temples on the west bank of Ta-Apet(Thebes) were converted into monastic centers.
Hatshepsut?s Commemorative Temple was converted into Deir (monastery) el Bahari.
Ptolemy III Temple was converted into Deir el Medina.
The Commemorative Temple of Ramses III was given the Christian name, ?Medinat Habu?.
The Court of Amenhotep III in Luxor Temple, on the east bank of Ta-Apet(Thebes) was similarly violated.

In 415 CE under Theodosius II, Patriarch Cyril expelled the Jews of Alexandria from the city; and Hypatia, the learned and beautiful Neoplatonist, was cruelly murdered.

Christian mobs forcefully took a part of the Temple of Het-Heru(Hathor) at Dendera in the middle of the 6th century CE, and built a new church, which was constructed between the Birth House and the Coronation House, using some of the blocks from the Birth House.

Similarly, in Khmunu(Hermopolis) a Temple of Amon was occupied by Christians and had part of its interior turned into a chapel.

In addition to the violation of Ancient Egyptian temples, the fanatic Christians adopted a new script called the Coptic language ? basically demotic Egyptian written in Greek characters with a few additional letters ? from about 300 CE. A non-Egyptian alphabet was intended for the use of those non-Egyptians who were schooled in the Greek language. This move had the effect of re-emphasizing the cultural divide between them and the true native Egyptians.

The Greek characters are not any easier than the Egyptian demotic script, which is yet another indication that the Church emphasis was on the Greek-speaking population of Alexandria, Fayoum, and a few other colonies of foreigners.

Eventually everyone began to use the Greek characters and the kemetic language died out.

Quote:

why dont we see heads like that today?

In ancient Egypt incest was accepted and genetic degradation may be the cause of the deformities.

One theory is that it was some form of religious symbolism. Because the god Aten was referred to as "The mother and father of all human kind," it has been suggested that Akhenaten was made to look androgynous in artwork as a symbol of the androgyny of the god (Aldred, C. 1988, Pg. 235).

The skulls posted are not of Akhenaten, No mummy has yet been identified as being that of Akhenaten.

Heck those skulls may not be Egyptian. The culture of the skulls could tell us if they were made that way by human hand or if it was a genetic defect.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Re: why did egyptians forget how to write hieroglyphics [Re: Cyber]
    #3729433 - 02/04/05 08:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well i must admit that those skulls are not Egyptian.they were discovered in South America.you seem to know what you are talking about. however I'm still not totally convinced yet.

i will come back to this after i have had some rest as I've been awake for a long time with some interesting talks with a friend.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3729471 - 02/04/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What would you rather do?

Draw hundreds of pictures or draw a few lines to convey the same thought? Hieroglyphics is inefficient, which is why it died out.

Why dont we see humans with skull growth disorders? Some of us do, most of us dont. Simple as that. Still your thoughts are interesting to ponder, and could be true. But how do you know if they're true or false? And why would you choose to believe either?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #3729476 - 02/04/05 08:55 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The skulls are certainly not a genetic defect. If they were, they would probably be stillborn.

The skulls, as Trendal pointed out, are the result of tightly wrapping the heads of infants to form them that way. This is documented, and there is evidence of wear and stress from the wrapping in the structure of the skulls.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

#3729515 - 02/04/05 09:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ahhh, Those are the elongated Mayan skulls from Peru. Those do have a few unexplained attributes. It is thought that they may be from another Homo-Sapien species because of the size and volume of the brain cavity as well as the jaw attributes which resemble a neanderthal more than a modern human.

It is known that the Mayans practiced head flattening and elongation using boards and wraps. This would be done on an infant because there skull is not fully formed and is still soft.

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Re: why did egyptians forget how to write hieroglyphics [Re: psyka]
    #3729596 - 02/04/05 09:34 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
What would you rather do?

Draw hundreds of pictures or draw a few lines to convey the same thought? Hieroglyphics is inefficient, which is why it died out.

Ummm NO,

The word eternity is

the word meaning "To Write" is

Many of the words are simpler in (Kemetic) hieroglyphics. But the Hieroglyphics were only taught to the priests, The common man learned hieratic (A Sub-Dialect) which was essayer to write with simpler charters.

For example in this picture  :grin: the top line is kemetic and the bottom is hieratic. you will note that the hieratic is a more flowing script and essayer to write.

If your hypothesis was true then Chinese would have died out long ago.

You may want to note that I do read and write kemetic and hieratic fluently.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3729608 - 02/04/05 09:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Cosm said:
i totally disagree with your answers.

the Egyptians had papyrus to write on.

and boards are a relatively modern invention.

You may disagree all you want. It doesn't mean you have the slightest clue what you're talking about.

--------------------

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#3729611 - 02/04/05 09:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you were writing a 300 page thesis (font size 11) what language system would you choose to utilize?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3729614 - 02/04/05 09:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

chinese is efficient.

I think the real question about egyptians is: why'd they forget how they built the pyramids??

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Re: why did egyptians forget how to write hieroglyphics [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3729628 - 02/04/05 09:45 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Which egyption did you ask?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

#3729690 - 02/04/05 10:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
If you were writing a 300 page thesis (font size 11) what language system would you choose to utilize?

#1) Well a 300 page thesis would be 300 pages no matter what font I decided to use.  :cool:

#2) The truth is there are so few that can read and write the language it would be pointless to try and write it in kemetic.

#3) 11 point is some what small for kemetic. It makes it hard to read. But when it was being used there was no such thing as a computer, type set, or font point sizes.

#4) Kemetic words normally use fewer symbols to represent an idea, concept, or object than English. To top it off there are words in the kemetic language that have no English equivalent.

As with any language you use what you were raised with or you use what you have to to communicate. You do not give up a language because it is hard or complicated.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3730371 - 02/04/05 01:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Which egyption did you ask?

you know full well I didn't ask any egyptians, ancient or otherwise.

what's you point? that I'm misinformed, and they do remember how they built the pyramids?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds