Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Grateful Dead

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleFecalDildo
Fat LadiesBingo.
 User Gallery
Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory.
Are you crazy?
    #3726065 - 02/03/05 08:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I spend alot of my time thinking about psychosis and madness. What do these two terms actually mean? Well for starters, they are only words. Psychosis is a medical word used to describe a particular mental state. This state is displayed through a highly complex state of mental behaiviours which are outlined in various psychriatric dignostic books, such as the famous DSMx series. Madness is used in a more casual setting, to desribe psychotic symptoms. Psychosis seems to effect people from all walks of life and there are many many factors which can lead to this condition. However in this post i would like to put forward my idea, that simply psychosis and madness are merely man-made terms for something that we yet dont understand. Therefore the modern idea of "madness" dosnt exist and is just used bascially to make people feel like crap.

First of all, think about yourself. Think about your dreams. Think of all the crazy, twisted, mixed up dreams you have. They rarely make sense. I believe they are not supposed to. Now if you acted out your dreams down the middle of main st, you would be taken away and dosed up with anti-psychotic medication. But, think about this. What is the difference between being awake and being asleep. If you are crazy in your sleep then obviously this insanity dosnt go away when you wake up.. its just put away for awhile isnt it? So.. you just found out that you are infact sane with a pinch of insanity (when you are sleeping)or.. if you sleep alot.. the other way around.. This whole idea almost seems laughable dosnt it? See, when we sleep, the whole man-made moral system is shot in the ass and we revert back to our natural brain where there is no holes barred.. our "crazy mind".

Im going to move on to a touchy subject for some people as they still have not come to terms with this side of them.. many people find it confusing and generally messed up..

THOUGHTS

We all get them.. in the street .. at home.. watching the news.. Disgusting, weird, sick, perverted thoughts .. Things we have been trained not to say out loud to save face. But the joke of it all is that everyone experiences this. We are all just too scared to say because we have been taught that speaking your mind is BAD BAD BAD. These days, all our thoughts are filtered through this man-made moral system that is driven into us in school or through religious means from a young age. So bascially, the way you think is not really you. Its based on someone elses moral system. The real you is the sick, twisted , happy, perverted, joyful thinking being behind the mask of morals.

Nature and morals..

Some people lead you to believe that we need morals and that morals are natural. Ok, in this day and age we do need morals. We need some sort of system of law too. However i strongly disagree when people say that this is natural. Morals are purely man - made, they dont exist anywhere in nature. Our perverted, sick and twisted animals minds do not refer to a moral code. So .. Here we are. this cursed creatu. re with a purely random animal mind which rarely gets out, and this black and white "real world" mind that creates so much frustration.

So what about people who display psychotic symptoms?

Well this is a complex issue. I believe these people are stuck between both worlds. Lost in a endless sea of beauty, evil and mistrust. Have you ever seen a psychotic person sit and stare at something for the longest time? have you ever sat and stared at something while tripping on acid? Can you feel the beauty they must be seeing? So, i am saying there are some advantages to being psychotic. Why must we always label it as a bad thing? Thousands of years ago people with psychosis were treated as gods and highly spiritual beings. There came a point where they were able to control their own condition and switch it on and off like a lamp. These people were often called Shamans. These days we lock people with psychosis away in a room and treat them as if they have a problem. We try to make them "normal". So they can get a wife and kids and contribute to the capitalist economy again. No wonder they are scared of the world! Imagine they are on something you could compare with an endless acid trip and they are surrounded by people who want to bring them back and impose all these rules on them. No wonder they become paranoid! The way we treat people like this is a disgrace. I was recently informed of this initiative to invite people with mental defect to outdoor dance festivals. This is a great idea, as they would have many people on the same wavelength around them and would make them feel somewhat important.

So there you have it. We are all absolutly insane. Its just some show it, some dont. We are animals that have thoughts of killing, loving, murdering, kissing, hugging. etc etc.. there is no right or wrong in nature.

Be proud of your innerself and dont let anyone tell you how to think. That unfortuatly makes you poor, underpriviladged and starving.

Edited by Emmett (02/03/05 08:12 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: FecalDildo]
    #3726388 - 02/03/05 08:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the question is...do you identify with your thoughts?

you can think "terrorist thoughts," but until you act them out, you are no different. there is a difference between acting and thinking. I can think of a ton of things to do with my life, but until I act on them, I'm just a bum.

how about this...you are not YOUR thoughts. you are not your mind, you are not your ego. what you are is what experiences these thoughts, you are what experinces reality. so the real question is....what are you? what is it that experiences, what is it that takes all of your senses and ideas and molds them together for your version of reality.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: kaiowas]
    #3726602 - 02/03/05 09:29 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hello Emmett and Kaoiwas,

The brain is a marvelous organism that only exists inside a large shell we call the body. The brain can have terrible thoughts and just like Kaoiwas said if we do not act upon these things we no longer have the thought the thought passes on. There is a part of our brain that chooses which thoughts to act upon. That part of the brain, i'm not sure but it may be the frontal lobe, (someone who has that information or knowledge of the brain please come forth if i am wrong) chooses what would be the right thing that fits with the situation. Now situation after situation if one thing seems to fit right, one is more likely to act in a similar way, therefore gaining experience.

I am diagnosed skizophrenic but I am not one who is noticably skizophrenic. Sometimes I don't even think I am when the voices go away. There is just a chemical imbalance in my brain, my brain has decided to not send the signals to the right places most likely. Therefore creating voices, hallucinations, disturbing thoughts.

Now the most exciting part is trying to comprehend what on earth created a being that could do such things as humans could do. Is it our intelligent DNA? Or could it be some hidden force behind the scenes that not all humans can see. Some say when we eat the mushroom that this can lead to thoughts on what has created us, leads us to God so to speak.

All and all God is a marvelous creator that loves to change.

Peace,
Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: Droz]
    #3726665 - 02/03/05 09:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

""Re: Are you crazy?"" (this repeater but)

Crazy about crazy..

---
and, found this, its fun when I read a page that is just there, not keeping in mind how it got there.. ..kinda fitting a post found here. :P

?the ultimate state is resurrected as the only Real, final in all directions, where Form and Formless are each other. This state cannot be seen, because it is everything seen, and so remains Unshown. It cannot be heard, because it is everything heard, and so remains Unspeakable. It cannot be known, because it is everything known, and so remains Great Mystery.?
?Ken Wilber

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Edited by Gomp (02/03/05 09:42 PM)

InvisibleFecalDildo
Fat LadiesBingo.
 User Gallery
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: Droz]
    #3726680 - 02/03/05 09:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

There is a part of our brain that chooses which thoughts to act upon. That part of the brain, i'm not sure but it may be the frontal lobe, (someone who has that information or knowledge of the brain please come forth if i am wrong) chooses what would be the right thing that fits with the situation.

There is i point im trying to make here. This part of the brain you refer to must have been programed by the society he/she lives in. Lets call what you refer to as a "filter". Each culture and individual will have a different filter. Whats crazy in one culture may be perfectly sane in another. Do you see what im trying to get at here :smile: For example. If you grew up in the tribal villages in papua new guinea 200 years ago, you would been taught from a young age that canibalism is perfectly sane and normal. However if found doing this in New York City or London , you would be taken away and most likely given the death penalty and would be labelled "crazy". Bascially all im trying to get at is that our particular culture (western) all this time has being trying to be very objective when thinking about insanity and sanity, when in reality they are very very subjective things. One man's insane is another man's sane. All depending on what part of the world we grew up on. Look at religions. To alot of people other religions seem "foriegn" "weird" "crazy", but to the followers they are completely normal

Cheers!

Psychosis dosnt exist in nature. They are man made things. Caused by society. Schizophrenia is just a label put on someone who falls into certain criteria. Surely Jesus, mohammed, buddha or jerry garcia would fall into the same critera? They all seemed pretty delusional to me..

Edited by Emmett (02/03/05 10:13 PM)

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
    #3726878 - 02/03/05 10:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm a bit crazy yes. I'm not psychotic or sociopathic though.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #3726968 - 02/03/05 10:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm a bit crazy yes. I'm not psychotic or sociopathic though.

then what does 'crazy' mean according to you?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: kaiowas]
    #3726997 - 02/03/05 10:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the question is...do you identify with your thoughts?

Moreso than I do with your thoughts.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3727080 - 02/03/05 10:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I asked the same question a while back,

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post3569677

I'm sort of sold on the idea of a 'collective subconscious' that we all share. Those subconscious thoughts are sort of irrational and so we work to try to 'sublimate' them, or make sense out of them and try to behave 'normally'. So, really, I think everyone is crazy in different degrees.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3727104 - 02/03/05 10:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Emmett said:
THOUGHTS

We all get them.. in the street .. at home.. watching the news.. Disgusting, weird, sick, perverted thoughts .. Things we have been trained not to say out loud to save face. But the joke of it all is that everyone experiences this. We are all just too scared to say because we have been taught that speaking your mind is BAD BAD BAD. These days, all our thoughts are filtered through this man-made moral system that is driven into us in school or through religious means from a young age. So bascially, the way you think is not really you. Its based on someone elses moral system. The real you is the sick, twisted , happy, perverted, joyful thinking being behind the mask of morals.

There is only one person IRL that I can speak 100% openly about the inner and sick twisted thoughts that can be "creatively" provoked thru an exchange in joking conversation....  He has been a close friend since high school....  We can start on a topic and openly twist it into the most perverted taboo lines of thought (again in a joking manner) just to see who can intelligently outdo each other....  There is no real "winner", but there is much laughter....  As I, he understands full well the humor in life itself....  His mother died when he was like 10, and I can walk up to him and talk about raping his dead mother's rotting corpse the night before - AND KNOW that he would never take offense to the WORDS that I had just presented to him....  And the same would go for him, or anyone else that would care to drop that "mask" and participate.... 

Is it sick....?  Fuck yeah, that is what makes it so damn funny....!  Would we ever act it out, hell no, that would not be so funny.... 

For the rest of the people in my life, I am not actually wearing a mask, but I am simply not challenged to reach into that part of my creative mind to talk about such topics....  For me, I have to reach into the bad thoughts to think them up....  Prolly~ a good thing because most would find it appalling or offensive anyway....  But then again, humor does not have to be sick and twisted all of the time.... 

Quote:

Words used to describe a particular mental state.

We had an aguement/debate about experiencing mental states, specifically I had to turn it into a debate about psychoactive substances to make my point....  He has never even tasted beer in his life, out of choice....  For however it was evoked, I made the statement:  "You would never know what it is like to actually experience a specific drug induced mental state without having experienced that drug for yourself...."    And his response was, "I can completely understand what the experience would be like by reading about it, and comparing it to the mental states that I can have...."  EGADS....

I mistakenly chose alcohol as my first example....  Too which he compared to being sleep deprived, dizzy, giddy, and uncoordinated....  And after arguing for a while in his ignorance on the subject, I added pot to the drunken state....  His response was something along the lines of there being words in the human language to describe such mental states, but it was a person's inability to use the correct wording to express that state of mind....    I was like DUDE, you can describe the "mental state" in the "definition" of words all you want, but you CANNOT describe the actual experience because there are too many senses altered and felt that just CANNOT be put to words - mental and physical....  And he STILL insisted that it was a person's inability to use the correct words....  There was no convincing him....!!!!    I ended up just giving up after about 45 minutes of going back and forth....    I could not understand how he could not see my point, and it was most frustrating.... 

Knowing full well with the dr00g induced experiences I have had, there is no way for me to even explain them to myself, much less someone else...!!!???    I am just left with vague memories of what it was like, and know weather I liked it or not....  But somehow he can read some words and understand an experience in it's full depth and clarity....?    WTF, are you high...!!???  :lol:

We agreed to disagree for the time being, but I am sure we will hit that one again for sure, as we almost always see eye to eye....  I already have worked up 3-4 lines of thought to argue the point in logical terms that he might begin to realize and relate to.... 

Words can only go so far in describing any of the senses....  It is of the ignorant to think that they claim to "know" what ANY specific experience "feels" like without actually having that experience for themselves....  ESPECIALLY when talking about psychoactives, or even the naturally chemically imbalanced brains of those people that perhaps experience a whole set of "different mental states" that I might not EVER presume to comprehend - even IF I was to get the SAME chemical imbalance....  For I would still prolly~ perceive the experience differently than someone else....  Well, that is my opinion anyway....  :smile:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinethe free thinker
salesman
Male User Gallery

Loc: twin cities
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3727137 - 02/03/05 10:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

"Crazy", "sane", "insane" etc, are all relative terms. I would consider myself to be, in most respects, a sound minded person. I wake up each morning, eat breakfast, go to school, go to work, come home, study, get high, go to bed, and then repeat the whole thing the next day. Of course as mentioned in this thread, I have unsetting thoughts at times. But that's natural. "Rules were made to be broken" is a saying that I beleive has something to do with this. Society creates in your head starting on the day you were born the "norms" that "normal" people adhere to, and never give a second thought about. I beleive humans as a race have a rebellious spirit in them. Everyone does. For some people, that spirit is stronger than others.

So, while "unsettling thoughts" may be the extent of some people's rebellion, for others it goes far beyond that. I have a strongly rebellious spirit. It was probably this side of my personality that took interest in psychedelic drugs, and eventually brought me to use them.

Anyway, to whoever said "These days we treat people who are psychotic like they have a problem, and lock them up in padded rooms all day long." I hate to say, but being psychotic is most definitely a problem. If it prevents you from functioning in society, then you definitely have a problem. Being on LSD and being psychotic are two different things. That's just my opinion anyway. I'm always open to different views of course.

--------------------

InvisibleFecalDildo
Fat LadiesBingo.
 User Gallery
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: the free thinker]
    #3727185 - 02/03/05 10:53 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

but you see.. its the way we treat them that re-fuels the problem. Its a viscious circle. If we treat them as important we will be able to interact with them without drugging them up to the eyeballs. The way we approach them is cold and threatening. Who knows, we may be able to learn alot from that state of mind. Also.. maybe we are the sick ones and they are truely enlightened? Who is to judge? Society?! Societies judgements and morals dont exist in nature remember.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #3727229 - 02/03/05 10:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If I spoke out loud how I think around the common people, I would be literally thought to be insane. And at the same time I consider someone spending a day thinking about Realestate prices to be insane.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3727271 - 02/03/05 11:03 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

people who are psychotic or schizophrenic tend to be treated the same as people who are high on drugs... with mistrust and condescension

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3727590 - 02/03/05 11:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps you should look up metempsychosis. It is an Experience we might all prepare ourselves for.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinelovelight
float

Loc: yellow submarine
    #3729118 - 02/04/05 06:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Emmett said:Surely Jesus, mohammed, buddha or jerry garcia would fall into the same critera? They all seemed pretty delusional to me.. 

Don't go bringing Jerry into this!
I'm :nut: about the :gd_icon:

--------------------
Turn on your lovelight, let it shine on me

InvisibleFecalDildo
Fat LadiesBingo.
 User Gallery
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: lovelight]
    #3729126 - 02/04/05 07:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Jerry gets into your minds and tells you how to think through his dry and obsolutly talentless tunes.. and you have tallent you say? Yes.. more then him..

ta ta

:smile:

tee hee hee hee

Offlinecrazyman
Brass or Steel

Loc: chucktown
    #3731621 - 02/04/05 07:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm crazy, man.

But seriously. I suffer from many maladies. Panic disorder, trauma, depression, anti-social behavior and a slight schizoid trait, but not schizophrenia. As much as I've tried to avoid prescribed drugs as a part of therapy, I find that they do work in balancing an unbalanced brain chemistry... This is all a form of mental illness, and most all of us have some form of mental illness(es) to varying degrees... Nothing to be ashamed of AT ALL! It's just nature. And life experience, as one filters it through their brains, can make a person seem crazy if those issues aren't addressed.... Make any sense?

--------------------
I want to live in Northern Exposure. Ed Chigliak would be my pal.

Edited by crazyman (02/04/05 07:07 PM)

InvisibleMerkin
neep.
 User Gallery

Loc: Ass Flavoured Pie Factory
    #3734048 - 02/05/05 05:46 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good post emmett.
:laugh:
VVV

--------------------
Wheels of cheese wheeels of cheeeeese!!!

Offlinerepemon
journeyman
Re: Are you crazy? [Re: Merkin]
    #3734680 - 02/05/05 11:39 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Im SO fucking crazy. Ya wouldnt believe it!  :nut: :whoa: :wtf: :mushroom2: :sun: :smile:

--------------------
- When the time stops, evil ones will be pointed out for all to see.

Edited by repemon (02/05/05 11:40 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Compare CBD   Amazon Grateful Dead

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology