Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... (now with pics)
    #3711242 - 02/01/05 12:15 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

The man I got it from said something about putting fertilizer in it, and watering it from time to time. I thought I'd ask all the knowledgable people on here before I did anything to it. It's about three feet high. I think it's pretty healthy...I'll post a pic as soon as I get my camera back tomorrow.

What sort of fertilizer and watering should I do?

Edited by EllemyshShade (02/03/05 10:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRRhoads
chemistry student
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: cahleeforneeah
Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: MOTH]
    #3711268 - 02/01/05 12:19 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't know they needed ferts at all..

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: RRhoads]
    #3711435 - 02/01/05 01:23 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

mmm ferts, everyone needs them

Hi, good that you're back EllemyshShade.. is it cold right now? If so it's probably winter and you shouldn't water your cactus then, or giving a dressing of fertiliser for that matter. Don't be too fussed about your cactus during this time you don't need to try make it grow, just help it last out the winter until spring when you can start watering it (and feeding)

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: faslimy]
    #3711452 - 02/01/05 01:30 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Good to see you branching out Elle. You'll love growing cacti.

Faslimy covered all you need to know at this point. Basically you need do nothing to it in winter accept for a light drink once a month. Unless you had a nice HPS lamp to stick that cactus under!

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: Hanky]
    #3712802 - 02/01/05 10:17 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hanky said:
Unless you had a nice HPS lamp to stick that cactus under!

metal halides work well too, I'm still only watering once a month

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: Hanky]
    #3713556 - 02/01/05 12:55 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I would say use a MH if your just keeping it inside for the winter. HPS would be for the summer months, but I have heard people use HPS throughout the entire grow - Just that the MH performed better during vegetation.

During the winter, do not fertilizer, and water about once a month. You can stick it near a window that gets good sun, or under a HID light (a good HID light system will cost you a good amount of money though). If next to a window, make sure there isn't a draft.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: theocean06]
    #3714516 - 02/01/05 05:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks guys...so I keep it inside for the winter?  It's outside on my porch right now.  (it was outside at the greenhouse too) 

My biggest fear is that it will die because I make some crucial mistake...it's a very pretty green color, except for about a 1/2 inch at the base where it is pale.  Is this normal?

Thanks for helping out a total cactus newb!  :sun:

Offlinetheocean06

#3714737 - 02/01/05 05:50 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

How cold do your winters get?

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#3714766 - 02/01/05 05:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I'm in mid-Texas, and they don't usually get below freezing. (only occasionally)

Offlinetheocean06

#3714821 - 02/01/05 06:01 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Well, San Pedro shouldn't go below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.  I am surprised that it gets that cold, I would think Texas would be a good environment for SP.  I would keep it inside, with good sun.

Good Luck :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineAnyColor
Stranger ThenBeans

Loc: Still Somewhere
    #3715008 - 02/01/05 06:28 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

By fertilization I'm going to assume that your referring to ways to increase the mescaline concentration in the plant and not just helping the plant to grow and stay healthy (you actually want to keep your cacti slightly unhealthy).

This is all taken from Erowid and probably has what you are looking for:

CONCENTRATING AND INCREASING ALKALOID LEVELS

There are several different methods of increasing the concentrations of alkaloids in most if not all species of Cactus. One of the main defenses of Cacti is to increase the production of protective alkaloids in response to numerous external stresses. The growing Cactus plant can be "stressed" in a number of ways to help increase the concentration of alkaloids prior to harvest. It should be noted that, since Cacti have a slow metabolism, it may take an entire growing season of stress to significantly affect alkaloid levels. Here are some of the most common and widely tested methods:

Shade - There have been several reports that leaving live, or cut Tricocereus in the shade for several months prior to harvesting does increase the percentage of alkaloids in the tissues of the plant. It is also common in Mexico and South America to leave cut Cacti in large covered stacks for some time prior to being sold. There may be a good reason for that practice.

Excess Sun and Heat - Too much Sun or heat will most definitely stress a live Cactus. It must be realized however, that increasing the alkaloids through stressing will greatly affect the plants growth rate, and might just kill it. Cactus can and do get sunburned, which can be fatal.

Nutrient level variations - Different formulas of fertilizers will affect the growth rate, and therefore the alkaloid mix and percentages. Very high Nitrogen levels in the soil would help to draw water out of the cactus, and promote stress. Use caution as too much Nitrogen will burn your plant. Remember though, a fast growing Cactus is also lower in alkaloids per volume.

Mechanical stress - A much ignored method of significantly increasing alkaloid buildup. The Cactus is cut or gouged in several places to simulate predator damage. The stem can also be girdled by wire, twisted or bent. Care should be taken when penetrating the skin, use sterile techniques to minimize the chance of infection. Although infection would be a major stress on the plant, it would probably die before any useful effects were manifest. Stressing has been practiced on Marijuana for millennia in certain parts of the world, to increase potency.

Watering stress - Depriving the intended victim of water is the most widespread method of trying to increase the alkaloid content. Many people advise to buy your Cactus at least one growing season in advance, and then let them sit, without water, until they are ready to harvest.

Chemical doping - There has been some pioneering work in this area done by Adam Gottlieb.

Increasing the levels of the precursors that lead to mescaline has proven to be a relatively quick and effective way to significantly increase the level of mescaline in a Cactus. There are three major precursors to mescaline, namely dopa, tyramine and dopamine. During mescaline synthesis in the plant, tyrosine is broken down into tyramine and dopa. These then combine to form dopamine, which is later converted to nor-mescaline, and of course mescaline.

It is possible to take advantage of this synthesis route, and use it to vastly increase the mescaline content of the Cactus that will be harvested.

This method can be used successfully on any mescaline bearing Cacti. The steps are as follows:

1. Withhold water from the plant 2 weeks prior to doping. This helps the plant to absorb any injected material more readily.

2. Prepare a saturated solution of free-base dopamine in a .05 N solution of HCL. If dopamine is not available a second best alternative is to use a mixture of tyramine and dopa.

3. Inject approximately 5cc of the solution, half towards the bottom of the plant by the roots. Inject the other half into the green tissue at the base of the plant, and in several other spots up the stem. Do this slowly ,carefully, leaving the needle in place for a few seconds to allow absorption.

4. Wait 4 to 8 weeks before harvest to let the additives metabolize and convert to mescaline. I would not stress the plant during this period, as an actively growing plant is necessary for efficient metabolism.

5. The harvest can be delayed further and a series of booster injections can be given every 6 - 8 weeks to bolster alkaloid levels even more.

Unfortunately many of these precursor compounds are hard to come by or controlled.

Donana ( Coryphantha macromersis ) can be processed in a similar manner to increase its levels of macromerine. Injections of nor-epinephrine can be given in a similar manner about a month prior to harvest.

--------------------
"Its Like a Koala Bear Crapped a Rainbow in my Brain"

Offlinetheocean06

Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: AnyColor]
    #3715280 - 02/01/05 07:07 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I think she meant fertilization (NPK) and not mescaline concentration. I could be wrong, that's just want I got from the post. Thanks for the information though.

--------------------

Invisiblezerozero
Stranger

#3717051 - 02/02/05 12:33 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

it is impossible for some one to tell you how often to water a plant, it depends on the growing conditions, but try to water it on a regular schedule, and only water when it's dry, and you' ll know this cause you'll take your finger/ stick and poke around in the soil if there is any moisture you can wait to water.

as for ferts, maybe once every other time you water, in the growing season, and none in the winter. so that may be twice, in the summer, give or take. and i recommend to all my patients to use a low nitrogen fert. and use it diluted by half or fourths. also ferts low in N and higher in P&K seem to encourage many offshoots, so.....you know, more cacti.
good luck.

OfflineGNIOM1498
Death Cup
 User Gallery

Loc: My home is where my spiri...
Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: zerozero]
    #3721522 - 02/02/05 08:54 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

get some nitrogen fixing bacteria in the soil. Plant a pea in there once it grows cut it off.

--------------------

----ALL MY POSTS ARE FICTIONAL-------

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #3723001 - 02/03/05 01:08 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

i apply 20-20-20 npk once in a while during growth season.
foliar feeding is also very good to use in combination, in my experience.

FH

Offlinebutterflydawn
lucid dreamer
 User Gallery

Loc: lost at sea
Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: felixhigh]
    #3723434 - 02/03/05 03:24 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

we want photo
we want photo
we want photo
:smile:

have fun with your cacti
:sun:

--------------------
lucidal expansion

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: butterflydawn]
    #3724248 - 02/03/05 10:45 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah...here are some pics I just took:

Does it look pretty healthy? I brought it inside because it's supposed to get close to freezing tonight.

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

#3724445 - 02/03/05 11:47 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Beautiful Emelly, I hope you enjoy taking care of it :smile:

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
Re: So I just bought a huge San Pedro cactus... [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #3725029 - 02/03/05 02:43 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Nice cactus. Nice cat too.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #3725239 - 02/03/05 03:36 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Very nice, very nice :thumbup:.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom