Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAqua
reef

Loc: er
Mushroom Hunting
    #3724980 - 02/03/05 02:31 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

What a fun thing. To find magic in the wild, to walk fields and spot biscuit tops..The south is great- cubensis stretched far in a wide range.

I wonder how far spores can travel by wind?
Does anyone know if the farther south you go the more potent the cubensis get.. or is it the opposite or neither.
A small unopened cubensis will have more potency per weight than the fresh opened cap counter part, no? Just how much more potency are we talking?

Hunt on- and hello :mushroom2: :stoned:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: Aqua]
    #3725411 - 02/03/05 04:21 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

According to Dr Desjardin, the dark spored mushrooms in Hawaii mostly arrived via birds or the wind.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleAqua
reef

Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3725433 - 02/03/05 04:26 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

birds or wind!!! hmm
Is it possible cubensis could have been developing simultaneously in different parts of the world at the same time.. Much like homo sapiens were said to have spawned from Africa, and possibly ancient china..
That is a long ass way for spores to travel.. Where oh where was our wonderful cubensis born? I say Florida, at Cowford- the river crossing :mushroom2: But alas it could be anywhere.. and unlike humans we can not study shroom fossils, so I will speculate :smile:

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #3726957 - 02/03/05 08:20 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

I've heard that p. cubensis arrived here with the european cows. not sure if it was fact or just more speculation.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3727688 - 02/03/05 10:12 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

There are no cubensis in Hawaii and the spores for the Copelandia came with Cattle on ships from the Philippnes and Asia by Capt. George vancouver in the ealy 1800s.

There are five Copelandia species in hawaii and one panaeolus subbalteatus. Cubensis are only grown indoors.

btw, i have lectured with dennis before and spent a few weeks ont hebig island with Don hemjis who wrote Mushrooms of hawaii and worked with Dr. George Wong at the U of Hawaii at Manoa campus. Wong uses my website for hsi mycology students classes.

mj

InvisibleAqua
reef

Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3730953 - 02/04/05 02:39 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No wild cubensis in Hawaii?????????????
That surprises me... How sure are you? It would seem Hawaii the perfect place for cubes to thrive...
Why hasn't anyone transfered spores outdoor so the species can start to take over the wild?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #3731456 - 02/04/05 04:27 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

No Cubensis do not grow in the hawaiian archipelego for the same reason Copelandias grow in Samoa and not cubensis.

For the same reason Cubensis grow in Fiji but there are no Copelandias.

And seeding a field is not as easy as you think it could be. many people tried transplanting azurescens. They grow for a year or two and do not come back and they do not spread tyo other regions in the areas where they are transpklanted.

And it is a heavy jail sentence if someone is caught trying to introduce a species of aplant which is not already in Hawaii. There is a sproe company whioch sells spores for hawaiian cubes. They are cubes grown in vitro int he islands. Many shops in Amsterdam also sell hawaiian syans and someo f them show photographs of psilocybe cyanescens with t ehir spore ads and those do ot grow in Hawaii.

I lived their and studing shroos for 11 years with legal permission on all ranches on maui, the big Island of hawaii, oahu and Kuaui.

Molokai is restricted and Lanai is a pineapple island with only a few ranches there. Copelandia are solso comon on lanai. Niihau is illegal for non hawaiians. Meaning if you are a haole. You cannot go to Niihau if you are not Hawaiian.

Anyway, read a few of the url's I posted above if you want to learn a little about hawaiian shrooms.

mj

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/hawaii1.htm

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/hawaii4.htm

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/hawaii6.htm

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/books2.htm

Offlineazurescens
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3737609 - 02/05/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

1st off let me say that I recognize MJ as a great authority on mushrooms. That being said I find it incredibly shallow minded for any scientist, in any field, to use words such as "do not" and "dont". Unless someone has checked every square foot of the Hawaiian landscape then it is very premature to say that cubensis do not grow in hawaii. Some of the worlds foremost scientists said that this world was flat but a mere 300 yrs ago. Anyway, I regard MJ as a most respected voice on these wonderful gifts of nature but I find it close minded when someone says that such an adaptable life form "can" or "cannot" thrive in a particular region of this world. No offense intended, MJ.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: azurescens]
    #3737729 - 02/05/05 09:34 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

OK. No one has ever reported a wild collection of P. cubensis from Hawaii, despite a systematic search of all likely habitat. Furthermore, it seems the habitat there will not support it's growth.

Better?

Offlineazurescens
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: shroomydan]
    #3737795 - 02/05/05 09:45 PM (19 years, 2 months ago)

Yes!! That is much better. It leaves the door open which it should always be and always is concerning science. Thank you.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Mushroom Hunting [Re: lackobreath]
    #3740521 - 02/06/05 11:55 AM (19 years, 2 months ago)

P. cubensis are from Asia as are the Copelandia mushrooms. In the Western World and in many colonized islands of the Pacific, Oceania and the Caribbean, most shrooms such as P. cubensis and P. subcubensis are of Asian Origin.

Tenernce McKenna noted the Nan Nak Tha region of Northeastern Thailand as the oldest representaion of possible knowledge of shrooms. At the diggings, Dating 15,000 B.P., the bones of bos indicus were found in association with the remains of humans, an indication of the knowledge of shrooms amongst primtive man.

In many primitive societies in the world, early food-hunter gatherers would follow the manure trails of the large migratory herds of mammals in search of food. Along these trails, primitive man also saw the mushroms fruitng from the manure. Surely the food-hunter gatherers were the first to eat those mushrooms and some of them may have saw god or what his feeble mind may have assumed god as being.

In most locations, P. cubensis is a triopical and subtropical species. And while the earth may have been one solid land mass at one time, many shrooms grew naturally while others became introduced.

Amanita muscaria is in the Hawaiian Islands on Kuaui in the kokee range. They apparently came in when Flash Pines were introduced into Hawaii in the late 1800s. Remember that Amanita muscaria is a nothern hemisphere mushroom which likes colder weather.

Maby the volcanic Hawaiian soil may or may not support p. cubensis, although it is a dung shroom, there is no ecidence of it being in the new world until the Spanish brought cattle here. However, Mexico and Central America have over 48 species of psilocybian mushrooms, all most likely here before the Spanish brought horses and cattle to the new world and brought with them the Cubes and copes. now common in that region of the world.

Copelandia species in Florida and the Caribbean are from the far east and did not arrive in flodia from spores on pineapple slips floating to shore as described by the nefarious Mr. G.

No fresh pineapples were ever shipped from Hawaii to Florida before the 1900s. Only Canned pineapples from Dole in the late 1800s were shipped out of Hawaii.

And yes, Pineapples are from Paraguay and Brazil, not from Hawaii as many people think. They were used by the Spanish for Scurvey because of their high vitamine C content.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract