Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Myc or Cobweb
    #3724613 - 02/03/05 02:48 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Camera is currently down, so no pictures right now, sorry. Is there any easy way to tell the difference between cobweb and myc? I am pretty sure it is the dreaded cobweb, but hoping of course that I am wrong. Small tub made with WBS and poo/straw, then covered with 50/50 casing with lime, put in the incubator, now when myc should be popping up it looks like bright white cotton candy. Sadly though it looks like it is on top of the casing instead of poking through it. Started at a few small spots, now it is at several spots on the casing. Not in any one certain area. Any help would be great before I toss it out in fear of spreading.

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

"Knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineazurescens
Re: Myc or Cobweb [Re: MadHatR]
    #3725006 - 02/03/05 04:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Cobweb is more wispy looking and kinda greyish. Try lifing up the casing slightly with a sterilized tool or very clean finger and see if myc is forming up.

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
    #3726292 - 02/03/05 08:44 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds like Myc to me.Good Luck

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Myc or Cobweb [Re: ButterNut]
    #3727736 - 02/04/05 12:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well it looks very white, and the fact that it is popping up in random spots instead of one spot and then growing is why I even have any hope that it is myc.  What concerns me is the fact that it looks like it is on top of the casing instead of growing up from under it. In some spots you can see through it to a solid level of casing. :frown:

--------------------
Following the rules is for dealers, knowing why the rules work is for innovators.

Never Judge a man until you walk a mile in his shoe, because then you are a mile away and you have his shoes.

Invisiblejtseaweed
Stranger

Loc: in the middle of everywhe...
    #3728457 - 02/04/05 02:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How fast has it been groowing. cobweb can takke over a whole casing in a matter of days. Isolate it somewhere sterile and see how fast it grows. It can be very hard to tell when a newb but you will learn quik.

>>Started at a few small spots, now it is at several spots on the casing

This sounds like cobweb if it is growing really fast. Spray it with some h2o2.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: Myc or Cobweb [Re: jtseaweed]
    #3734566 - 02/05/05 10:54 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I just found some cobweb on my casing this morning. Its very soft and wispy, color = off white to grey. Myc on the other hand is very white, almost cottony. If you know anything about shrooms you should be able to tell the difference

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Myc or Cobweb [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3746314 - 02/07/05 06:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It is very white and cotton like, so I am going to go ahead and move it to the chamber. I have grown many, many, many times before, but just have been lucky enough to have not hit cobweb yet. It was mainly the fact that it looked more like it was forming on top instead of poking through. Also when sprayed with water/h2o2 it all vanishes.

One last question. In a large fruiting chamber like a Martha, how far can contamination jump from one casing to another? Due to a mister circulating the air are the chances good that if one casing gets contaminated that it will quickly spread to all the rest even with the use of h2o2 in the water and lime in the casing?

--------------------

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
    #3746616 - 02/07/05 07:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I know what ur talking bout man, I doubt its cobweb. Cobweb is kindda greyish. If its fluffy and looks like cotton its just some real aggressive mycelium. It tends to get like that b4 it pins with some strains I've noticed. Tell me if it looks like this, this is about the most agressive casing i've made, I deep scratched this thing twice and it recolonized in like 12 hours, so I did it again a few days later, and this is what it looks like as of right this second. Its just 3 pf half pints cased.

OfflineMadHatR
journeyman
Re: Myc or Cobweb [Re: DatDaNK420]
    #3746955 - 02/07/05 08:02 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

The spots that are showing look like that. I guess I am just more used to the myc in this strain looking thicker, more like chunks then hairs. After years of doing casings on WBS or Rye this was my first work with poo/straw. Just did not expect it to be as aggressive as it was. The left over poo/straw I tossed in a quart with a small amount of myc made from WBS. I had taken the jar out when it was done, set it in the kitchen for a few days before casing it and when I opened it there was a 4" long, 1/2" thick shroom rapped around the top trying to get out. Guess I just wasn't prepared for such good results so I feared the worst.

--------------------

Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Myc or Cobweb [Re: DatDaNK420]
    #3747168 - 02/07/05 08:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

there is no cobweb in your pics

InvisibleDatDaNK420
SeriousShroomage
Re: Myc or Cobweb [Re: tahoe]
    #3747954 - 02/07/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I know there isnt i dont grow cobweb man I grow mushies lol.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum