Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Question about spores.
    #3724488 - 02/03/05 02:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have my first shrooms from an experiment opening their veils, my question is, do all of them produce fertile spores?

Just wondering if its possible to sporeprint these.

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

Edited by Civ (02/03/05 03:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question about spores. [Re: Civ]
    #3724497 - 02/03/05 02:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Damn, with that many posts here I thought that you would know this already, but shrooms with produce viable spores without doing anything but the opening of the cap

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question about spores. [Re: metasin]
    #3724503 - 02/03/05 02:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

BTW, why do you have a plant in there?? Do you think thats going to take care of the co2??

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about spores. [Re: metasin]
    #3724529 - 02/03/05 02:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Is that sposed to mean something? Like my post count determines what questions I can ask others? Are you insulted that I have a plant growing with the mushrooms? Only girls care about post counts.

LOL The plant was their first, these are just extra chunks of myc from caseing mixes that I tossed into a plant about 45 days ago, sitting on the window in my kitchen, in open air, and I see no spores in the cap that just opened, thats why I asked.

--------------------

Edited by Civ (02/03/05 02:18 PM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3724537 - 02/03/05 02:20 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Civ said:
I have my first shrooms from an experiment opening their veils, my question is, do all of them produce fertile spores?  Or do they need other mushrooms in the colony to share DNA with?

Just wondering if its possible to sporeprint these.

99% of the time a mushie whos cap opens has all the goodness you need for future crops .Have seen a few dump zero spores in my time in this hobby .
Now will those spores you harvest from an open container like that be clean enough for successful growth without agar is what you should be asking . :rolleyes:

Answer ... I doubt it , but have seen stranger things .

GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about spores. [Re: tripndicular]
    #3724552 - 02/03/05 02:24 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

99% of the time a mushie whos cap opens has all the goodness you need for future crops .Have seen a few dump zero spores in my time in this hobby .
Now will those spores you harvest from an open container like that be clean enough for successful growth without agar is what you should be asking .
answer ... I doubt it , but have seen stranger things .

Yeah, so far I have only had success with cloning to agar.

Edited by Civ (02/03/05 03:06 PM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3724563 - 02/03/05 02:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I was not reffering to cloning .

When one gets a wild print ... it is best to germ on some agar , that way you can clean up the culture thru issolations .
In some ways those guys are like wild mushies , they are not in a closed in clean enviro , so chances that the print itself will have contams or foreign spores is great .

YES you can print them , you will see the spores when the fall . You may not see them as of yet due to they have not started to drop , or have been blown around by air flow in surrounding area . Leave them be and you should see some spores on the dirt surface soon .
GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisiblemetasin
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3724713 - 02/03/05 03:19 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Civ said:
Is that sposed to mean something? Like my post count determines what questions I can ask others? Are you insulted that I have a plant growing with the mushrooms? Only girls care about post counts.

:slap:

Your question asked something along the lines if a solo fruit would produce viable spores, like they needed to pollinate or bone or something. It looks like you have done some research since you have an agar plate in your hand, but obviously not enough. Dropping spores is part of the life cycle of mushrooms. It is going to happen if you have healthy mushrooms. They do not need to germinate each other or have any other mushrooms near them, its just what they do. If you would have put the information in the first post that was in your second post all of this could have been avoided. You asked a question whether or not sporulation (spel?) would happen with no regards to what conditions they were in which would have completely changed what I would have posted. Its like me holding a glass of milk and asking whether or not I'm going to get cheese out of it or something.
In response to your question about being insulted that you have some kind of plant in your jar, I don't really understand where you are coming from with the insulted comment. IMO if you think its cool go right ahead. Personally I think you are asking for trouble if you have that in your substrate unless it was grown hydroponically and thoroughly flushed to remove any remaining nutes from the roots. I can only imagine what was left in any remaining potting soil that would be left in the root ball, most potting soil has somekind of fertilizer in it, and I would not want to ingest that shit. And BTW, it kind of shows your age when you make references to what gender people are by what their action or words have been.

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

#3724761 - 02/03/05 03:34 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

would happen with no regards to what conditions they were in which would have completely changed what I would have posted. Its like me holding a glass of milk and asking whether or not I'm going to get cheese out of it or something.
In response to your question about being insulted that you have some kind of plant in your jar, I don't really understand where you are coming from with the insulted comment. IMO if you think its cool go right ahead. Personally I think you are asking for trouble if you have that in your substrate unless it was grown hydroponically and thoroughly flushed to remove any remaining nutes from the roots. I can only imagine what was left in any remaining potting soil that would be left in the root ball, most potting soil has somekind of fertilizer in it, and I would not want to ingest that shit. And BTW, it kind of shows your age when you make references to what gender people are by what their action or words have been

The plant was in caseing mix, 75/25 peat/verm with some perlite. After the plant took root I tossed some of the verm you scrape of the top of the PF jars, that had myc growing on it, then just watered once a week and it grew. The plant was just cloned in water. The plant only needs water to grow and thrive, no soil needed, so thought it would be a cool experiment.

Sorry I didn't give more info, I had posted a picture of the plant/shroom thing a few days ago that had more info, just didn't keep up with the post.

You made reference to my post count being = too the amount of knowledge I had about what I was doing. So it put me on the stupid, and the defensive.

--------------------

OfflineMycelium5150
Check theDate!!!!
    #3727627 - 02/04/05 12:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

civ, tahoe was banned for a few days. you can take soires from that but it might not be the most sterile conditions

--------------------
Mad skills, you know this!!!

I am here to Myth Bust

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3727739 - 02/04/05 12:20 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Civ said:
Is that sposed to mean something? Like my post count determines what questions I can ask others?

yeah, i had like 2000 something and posted about growing and some person was stunned.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Peat, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation