Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
your moist opinion
    #3722478 - 02/03/05 01:10 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

check these rye jars out. do you think i should bother innoculating them? it was impossible, i found, to adequately photograph the dryness that i can clearly see when i look at them, dryness that i am suspicious will be a breeding ground for inactivity and do-nothingness for my spores. keep in mind that these jars were prepared nearly a week ago, on saturday. they've been in my pc which is in my closet since--i've opened it up occassionally to look at them. they don't look like they've lost any moisture since i pc'ed em. so should i bother? too dry, too wet? can't tell? too many split open? wtf?

below, the bottom. as you can see there's plenty of moisture, as well as plenty of sludge. but too much sludge? i seek your wisdom. please say no, not too much. please say shroom on, young friend. please.

below, although it's a little shaky, does give a good idea of the dry berries that i am worried about--although perhaps you still can't detect them in the picture. they're there. trust me. i think after four failures i can tell when something's too dry...but maybe 0-4 actually means i'm not qualified. bah.

this is supposed to be fun, a hobby, an enjoyable past time...

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
Re: your moist opinion [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3722494 - 02/03/05 01:14 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

a friend used some 1 month old wbs jars(from a shelf) and they turned out good... 6/7 colonized.

try one out

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: your moist opinion [Re: dobinky]
    #3722505 - 02/03/05 01:17 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

verily, there shall be trying.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: your moist opinion [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3722547 - 02/03/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 10 months ago)

I do not like the looks of the exploded kernels, but it does not look too bad. The best way to check for moisture content is to open a jar (yes, you must sacrifice one) and squeeze a kernel (or a few). If it mashes in your fingers with ease, then they are probably fine. Another way is to listen to the sound when you shake the jar, but that is a little harder to describe. You can also dry a portion out in the oven and weigh it to determine the exact moisture content, but not sure if you are willing to do that (and it is a little more complicated than that, but still easy)... One thing I have noticed with rye is that it generally always looks drier than it really is...

Make sure you shake them up real well. Properly mixing the dry kernels and the wet ones will help it colonize equally...

--------------------
To give is to live...

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Re: your moist opinion [Re: ATWAR]
    #3724183 - 02/03/05 12:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

what problems or crises might the exploded kernels present me with?

while i am loathe to do so, sacrificing a jar to check its inner moisture content is a good idea. i shall endeavor to perform this as well. thanks.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation