Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
understandingthe universe

Loc: us of a
The sacred Lotus
    #3719165 - 02/02/05 03:17 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well like a dumb ass i was wondering around nyc looking at all the flower shops. I decided i wanted poppies but the last time i read about poppies was years ago and not wanting to look like a junkie i did not ask for assistance. I ended up purchasing LOTUS POD from india. I looked around the internet and could find that lotus has alkaloids in them and even a ethnogen type shop selling the same pods. My question is i know Blue lotus will have psychoactive properties but will any lotus have them?

I see picasso as a realest. Monet is way abstract.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: The sacred Lotus [Re: Turdy]
    #3719176 - 02/02/05 03:19 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Aww! Double-posting!

Nah I'm just kidding with you, but I would doubt that just ANY lotus has psychoactive properties, probably only certain ones.

"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Loc: Australia
Re: The sacred Lotus [Re: Turdy]
    #3721724 - 02/02/05 11:28 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry to say, the lotus you have is most likely inactive. The one you're after is Nymphaea caerulea, and it is known as the Egyptian Blue Lotus.

On a side note, I also came across a mention of Nelumbo nucifera (Blue Lotus) being active and being cultivated in India. Unless you know the name of the species there isn't much else we can tell you without a picture.

Give me an ounce of civet, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination!

Re: The sacred Lotus [Re: BorgFace]
    #3723592 - 02/03/05 08:02 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I believe there is a post on the Shaman australias website that gets into detail on how Nelumbo nucifera, likely the pod you purchased, has amazing entheogenic activity. They talk a lot about the seeds and pumules and all that and which ones are active and not and how to tell if what you have is good. If it was heat treated at all then its likely the active chemicals have been destroyed. I made a tincture from both the flowers and the seeds. The whole, untreated seeds, which are used as a food purchasable in asian markets, are the most potent part of the plant, which contains nuciferine and other similiar chemicals.

I was doing research on the differences between the activity of Nympheae species and Nelumbo species and www.shaman-australis.com.au is the best reference, search the ethnobotany forum.. Alcohol is the best solvent to use with any of the plants and they all produce very real effects, which have excellent synergistic potential. A mixture of White+Blue lotus and Nelumbo tinctures in EtOh (pref. Everclear or Vodka) produces a great synergy.

Here are a few good posts

"If they are split open and missing the embryo they will be substantially less strong as a sedative."

I believe the Nelumbo pods sold by florists contain seeds and I would like to know of their activity and viability. It would be nice to try pods from specific nation wide Chains possibly like Hobby Lobby or Joann's fabric store and investigate.

Re: The sacred Lotus [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3723601 - 02/03/05 08:07 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I would also like to note that their is a problem with Misnomers when it comes to these two species. Blue lotus is Nympheaea Cearulea(sp..iforget how to spell this one alot). and White Lotus Nymph. alba I've also heard BL named as Sacred Water Lily. While I've often heard Nelumbo Nucifera considered as Sacred Lotus. Its a confusing issue.

Re: The sacred Lotus [Re: Aneglakya]
    #3723805 - 02/03/05 09:47 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I am pleased that others enjoy this plant as much as I do. I am curious as to these other lotus species you speak of that are white and red flowers. Have you heard that they are psychoactive? If so do they feel similar when dosed?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden